E-11 Power Cylinders Research Thread (renamed from "3 Central Fuses...")

PlayfulWolfCub

That's an awesome blog!  I looked at it a LOT before I started building mine :salute:

I still don't think we have anything "concrete" about the origin of the E11/MSE/Y-Wing/Speeder Power Cylinders.  Andy19422 & Marv did a lot of research, as did I, and the closest we got was that they're probably from WW2 British RADAR equipment but exactly which model we still don't know & haven't found any real life examples.

As a result of this thread I painstakingly recreated metal replicas which I believe are as close to screen-accurate as it's possible to get unless someone finds an original or gets George to let us cast from his MSE or Speeder. 

I made a pdf containing all the research: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s53lnuh9rq5xe7a/E11%20Power%20Cylinders%20Analysis.pdf

& one of screen-accurate E11 replicas:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9dfofb9kpi6zp1/E11%20Replicas.pdf

I'm now selling the metal replicas (with vintage capacitors until I run out) & "budget" resin casts (see links in my signature)

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

OH.

MY.

GOD.

I can't believe all this happened while I was AWOL!

I can't believe you managed to discover those (heretofore unknown) vent slits!

I can't believe you zinc plate them!

I can't believe the original part was labelled CP30!

I can't believe only ONE joke was made about that!

Generally speaking I can't believe what I'm reading. This is truly amazing Andy and you should be soooo proud. What you (and the other Andy and Marv and others who chimed in here) have done has single handedly advanced the cause of prop replication, accurate costuming AND Star Wars fandom ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!

It's genuinely mind blowing. Short of sneaking into the Archives and prying the real thing off I don't think it would be possible to get any more accurate a Power Cylinder build.

Truth be told, even if you found the exact guy who built the E-11 props he'd probably know less about this than you do. He would most likely say "I don't know man, we just picked up this stuff from the junk pile and glued it on."

:icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:

OH.

MY.

GOD.

I can't believe all this happened while I was AWOL!

I can't believe you managed to discover those (heretofore unknown) vent slits!

I can't believe you zinc plate them!

I can't believe the original part was labelled CP30!

I can't believe only ONE joke was made about that!

Generally speaking I can't believe what I'm reading. This is truly amazing Andy and you should be soooo proud. What you (and the other Andy and Marv and others who chimed in here) have done has single handedly advanced the cause of prop replication, accurate costuming AND Star Wars fandom ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!

It's genuinely mind blowing. Short of sneaking into the Archives and prying the real thing off I don't think it would be possible to get any more accurate a Power Cylinder build.

Truth be told, even if you found the exact guy who built the E-11 props he'd probably know less about this than you do. He would most likely say "I don't know man, we just picked up this stuff from the junk pile and glued it on."

:icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:  :icon_bow:

This is pretty much EXACTLY what flashed through my mind while reading Andy's PDF and research thread.  Well said, Lucas!

Short of sneaking into the Archives and prying the real thing off...

Now that I've sold nearly 50 metal sets I can reveal that I actually found an original rack a year and a half ago.  I'll be putting it up for auction on Ebay at the weekend!!!

Just kidding...          

...I'll never ever sell it!!! :smiley-sw013:

Thanks Lucas (& Aaron for seconding).  I'm glad you enjoyed the read & yes, I'm quite pleased with it as a project  :) 

Next on my project list are commissions for a Logan's Run "Deep Sleep" blaster, Back To The Future Plutonium canisters & aluminium E11 stands.

Any other requests?  Is there a prop (preferably Star Wars but open to other ideas) that hasn't been done very accurately yet & would be in demand?

Cheers, Andy

• 3 months later...

Been months since you've asked this, but.....and it's been done before but is not around now.....

A MKV1 flare gun ( Boba's)replica ( in metal) that opens like the real gun. Some resin models are available, but a bronze version would be sweet.

Thanks for suggesting an idea, Sean. 

That would be very cool but I don't think I'm the man for that project - For accuracy I'd have to buy a genuine MKV1 to mould & I'd need a forge for casting in bronze.  It'd cost me a fortune!  lol

I bet someone on the RPF could be talked into doing a run of them though....

Cheers, Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just want to say thanks for all of the research you guys did and I wanted to show you what I did with it.

I recently discovered that my local library has a 3D printer so I've been teaching myself 3D modeling.  I'm in the middle of a Bapty conversion on my E-11 and needed a new set of power cylinders.  So I spent the day modeling two sets.  A "Tunisian" version and an ideal version as a sort of control (I believe you have them listed as styles D and A respectively).

This is what I ended up with:

powercylinders.jpg

And this is a closeup of my capacitor:

smallcapaciter-1.jpg

So what do you guys think?

• Like 1

Dang Brian, how much time did you spend at the library?  These look EXTREMELY nice!

Funny, the other day, my wife (this is no joke) says, "We could probably make a lot of stuff for the things we do with a 3D printer".

As I'm choking on my beverage, I respond, "Why yes, YES we most certainly could".

Power cylinders were in the top 3 things that instantly came to mind...

I'd love to see what a set of these looks like straight off of a 3D printer...

What brand/model 3D printer does the library have?

I believe they have two.  A maker bot (I forget the model) and some sort of "build your own" that came in a kit.  The best part is the only time I have to spend there was the orientation.  I can send him the STL file and he prints it out and tells me when it's ready.  It of course will have that "pixilated" look to it but I bought some stuff called "XTC 3D" made by smooth on that is a brush on, self leveling epoxy that is designed to smooth out all of the ridges.  I'm told that resin printers exist that can give you a smooth print.

I have the receiver plate for my T-21 ordered so I will get to play with the stuff soon enough.  I've also finished the file for a pineapple gaffi head I'm going to print out for my Tusken.  I haven't even gotten my first print yet and I'm addicted. :D

Here is the receiver plate and gaffi:

lewisplatefinal.jpg

comparison-2.jpg

The only problem is that they print in some sort of organic plastic which has no heat tolerance (like no more than 140 F). He said that printing in ABS was too smelly for inside the library.  Hopefully the XTC 3D stuff will protect it.  For the receiver plate and gaffi though I'm going to attempt to cast them in resin. 

I'm going to go ahead and send off the order for the cylinders and will post pics when I get them in.

Thanks for the good words Aaron!

I believe they have two.  A maker bot (I forget the model) and some sort of "build your own" that came in a kit.  The best part is the only time I have to spend there was the orientation.  I can send him the STL file and he prints it out and tells me when it's ready.  It of course will have that "pixilated" look to it but I bought some stuff called "XTC 3D" made by smooth on that is a brush on, self leveling epoxy that is designed to smooth out all of the ridges.  I'm told that resin printers exist that can give you a smooth print.

I have the receiver plate for my T-21 ordered so I will get to play with the stuff soon enough.  I've also finished the file for a pineapple gaffi head I'm going to print out for my Tusken.  I haven't even gotten my first print yet and I'm addicted. :D

Here is the receiver plate and gaffi:

lewisplatefinal.jpg

comparison-2.jpg

The only problem is that they print in some sort of organic plastic which has no heat tolerance (like no more than 140 F). He said that printing in ABS was too smelly for inside the library.  Hopefully the XTC 3D stuff will protect it.  For the receiver plate and gaffi though I'm going to attempt to cast them in resin. 

I'm going to go ahead and send off the order for the cylinders and will post pics when I get them in.

Thanks for the good words Aaron!

Hi Brian,

How much fun have you been having?!?  :smiley-sw013:

That all looks very cool & I've subscribed to your FISD & MEPD threads to follow your progress.  I'm really looking forward to seeing photos of everything you've modelled here.

I considered 3D printing Power Cylinders but the rough surface texture has put me off so far.  I'll be really interested to see how your surfaces look when treated with the smoothing chemical.

Cheers, Andy

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guy, sorry if Im late to the party. So I know Im probably beating a dead horse trying to help identify the original source. Pardon my ignorance if some of this has been thrown out there already. Now Im only 25 so I don't have any great knowledge of vintage electronics, but I have repaired a few audio receivers just for fun on the side since Im a recording engineer. And to me those racks don't come out and scream audio. Doesn't look like stuff that would have been junk in the 70s at least to me. But when I look at the racks it looks 50s to me. The caps and stuff, but I could be wrong. Sorry again if this was already thrown out there, but what jumped to my mind when I saw how it was configured was an old Nixie tube display. And after some googling it looks like they started in the 50s so that would make sense. If I were to guess what it came from Id say a Nixie cash register, clock, calculator, or frequency counter or something. 

If anyone feels the urge to check me and see if Im completely off-base or not with some research that would be cool. I think it would make a ton of sense if this is where it came from. Why they are always in separate 6 socket racks like that and made the way they are. 

Edited by psychotropic

Yea well on page three I read what that radio expert said. And yea I agree. I just thought Id agree that I dont think its audio. There are headphone amps with tubes kinda lined up like that but not with that kinda circuit. But you missed my main point. Which is to me this looks a lot lot like an old Nixie tube display (aka cold cathode display)(which to be clear is not audio related at all, its most likely a numerical display). Its hard to tell what it could be from, cause it looks like someone might have ripped the display portion out of a larger piece of gear. But I think this was a numerical display for something. And whatever it was displaying was probably using decimal points. What PlayfulWolfCub had labeled part C is where the Nixies would go. Part D might have had little neon lights mounted on top for the decimal point display. Nixie stuff like calculators and cash registers had little decimal lights in this same exact position. Thats why the circuit is so linear and repetitive. 

Edited by psychotropic

Hi Pat,

Welcome to the ongoing quest!

My feeling (based on research done by Marv, Andy19422 & myself) is that the parts came from British military RADAR equipment from the 1950s.  However, no-one has yet found an original rack and until we do I'd say the floor is wide open to new ideas & searchers.

Lonepigeon considered NIXIEs in this RPF thread but I guess it didn't lead him anywhere since (to my knowledge) we never heard about it again.

Did you find my downloadable Research summary pdf   It has very little info about their origin but lots of analysis & photos of the Cylinders themselves.

Good luck & keep us posted with any developments...  :)

Cheers, Andy

Edited by PlayfulWolfCub

Thanks Andy, yea I checked it out and have been using it for reference. Im trying to imagine what all the pieces are meant for and figure out what the device could have done. In case I missed it does anyone have any ideas what Part A does? battery? gm tube? old capacitor? I feel like it might be easier if we knew that. Also what part d is? Light mount of some kind? 

edit: I really wish I had x-ray vision and could see inside some of these endless pieces of gear Ive been flipping through. us_hp_3460b_1.jpg

Edited by psychotropic

Guys sorry for the double post, but I think I might have found something!!!!!!!!!! So I was looking up all kinds of stuff and was looking at tube racks for early 1950s computers. I found this picture which was the closest to anything that I saw on my research the last day or two. 

(I couldn't make the embed work so link to the picture) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:8863-Project-Whirlwind-CRMI.JPG

Notice how similar the structure and circuit is to the rack. The two metal cylinders linked together near each tube, all lined up in a row. Just how part A and C are in the prop. This picture is of the "Whirlwind I" developed by MIT. So I looked at other magnetic core memory computers. Eventually it lead me in a circle. I don't remember what I googled to find it but I found this PDF.

Download the pdf and scroll down to page 47. M-1346. The number etched on the back of the rack (see post by PlayWolfCub on page 5 for reference). So then I looked up Cape Cod And look where it brought me back to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirlwind_I

Scroll to Air Defense Networks. I think this might be it. I think the rack came out of a computer tube rack (core memory circuit?) they made for the Cape Cod Air defense system, which was made in the late 40s early 50s. So it was kinda something to do with radar equipment. Possible some broken spare ones they then replaced? 

Edited by psychotropic

In case I missed it does anyone have any ideas what Part A does? battery? gm tube? old capacitor? I feel like it might be easier if we knew that. Also what part d is? Light mount of some kind? 

To help anyone following Pat's quest, I think this is the labelled photo he's looking at when asking that question:

LetteredCylinderparts.jpg

These are the suggestions people have so far put forward for the different parts.  (They might not be correct.)

A - large "bolt on" capacitor in a zinc-plated casing

B - TCC "METALMITE" capacitor, "Paper in Oil" type, K-rated

C - socket for 7 pin radio vacuum tube (aka radio tube) / valve / audio tube

D - small capacitor shielded in tube (probbaly to protect them from emissions from part C)

E - Male coaxial cable socket / shielded audio plug

F - Resistors in series.

I'm excited that someone is having another go at this, thanks Pat!!  I don't think that computer is the rack donor but I haven't been able to open the pdf link yet.

Cheers, Andy