What does the armor really do?

Okay I don't have the visual dictionary. I have seen what the bucket is really supposed to look like inside and I know that the boxes on the knee are ammo (correct?), but what is really in the belt? Are the boxes on it really supposed to open up? Are they full of supplies of some sort? Sure doesn't look like they could open up in any way.

What are the drop boxes supposed to be? Do they detach and open up?

The thing on the back of the belt: I've seen it called everything from a thermal detonator to an O2 tank to an Oreo container--which is it?

The buttons on the ab plate: are they really functional buttons that perform something when pressed? The little box that has the 5 buttons, is it supposed to detach and be some kind of gizmo like a communicator or a tricorder or something?

The little greeblies on the sniper plate: do they do anything? For that matter, what does sniper plate mean anyway? I assume it means something like when you go down on one knee to shoot it keeps your kneecap from getting shot off. Or is it to rest a rifle on for stability?

Are the itty bitty boxes on the shoulder straps supposed to do anything?

The rectangular indentions on the forearm pieces: anything?

Just a few things I've been wondering about --for about thirty years!!

If the answers to all these questions are common knowledge, please excuse my ignorance

Your guess is as good as anybody's. Unless you got more out of the movie than I did, we're about equal in knowledge.

I heard that the drop boxes are blast ionizers, but that's just because an author came up with it. I like to think of more realistic uses, like trading card holders.

Hi Darrel,

Good questions, and honestly like our Armorer, I don't have all the answers either.

The can on the back is a TD thermal detonator. Buts its not the same as the one Leia used in Jabba's palace.

Check out starwars.com they where having a daily caption with images from the movie and I "learned" the following:

- utility belt includes: power packs, energy rations and a compact tool kit

- belt worn energy sinks (drop boxes) help absorb blast energy...

- blue tube stripes: cycling vents

- TD: low yield key coded thermal detonator

- The buttons on the ab are functional: manual suit seals and environmental controls

The can on the back has also been referred to as an O2 (oxygen) cannister, so it's up to choice I think.

Personally I'd take what starwars.com says with a grain of salt. Having suit controls on your ab plate (you ever try to look at them things?) is a silly location.

I suspect with a little effort we can come up with better explanations that whatever schmuck came up with what's in the vis dic. :)

Well I found the URL if you want to check out the site----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I don't know about the rest of the armor, but here's what a real stormtrooper helmet looks on the inside:

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13

- belt worn energy sinks (drop boxes) help absorb blast energy...

I have problems believing that one. Anyone ever see a stormtrooper get up after being shot :o .

It is a lie. In this week's People magazine there is a full page ad and the first word is "storm troopers".

(yes, it's for Max Factor MAXwear lip colors, but the first thing you notice is the words storm troopers. I tried to find a copy online, but no avail)

And compress the family jewels in a way that can't be healthy.

Yeah, ask the tall guys about that one... :blink:

TK4205 said:
I don't know about the rest of the armor, but here's what a real stormtrooper helmet looks on the inside:

--------------

total off topic, but that just looks F@%*ing awesome! i wish i had the time patience and crafting abilities to do something like that!

Edited by gmrhodes13

Personally, when I think of armor, I think of something that protects you. I seriously would give anything to have even a short clip of maybe the emperor and his buddies brainstroming the armor. "well, we can just rely on the dark side of the force for a majority of the hits, the rest will be to look cool" ROFL

that picture of the inside of the helmet, regarding the two square button? so uh, do you use your lips to press them for something? what do they do?

Trying to stay on topic, I think the stormtroopers knew the armor was bad, and would talk about wishful thinking for better armor. If you recal from ANH while Obi one was working on taking down the shield, the two troopers he distracted began talking about some new model of something. I could never make it out but maybe it was for new armor :-P

Ok, enough ranting

my 2 credits

I think they were talking about "that new BT-16". Don't have a clue what that is, tho. Anybody know?

And the two buttons inside the helmet on that previous post are (at least on mine) the switches to turn on the fans and the voice amplifier, and no lips or tongue involved, you just cut them on before you put the bucket on.

total off topic, but that just looks F@%*ing awesome! i wish i had the time patience and crafting abilities to do something like that!

Keep on target trooper!!!

Ping me for the details:)