ROTJ TE 2009

Just received this in the post this morning.

paigntonzooaugust200904.jpg

On an aside note, it is so different from my moulds, after seeing this helmet and my other 2 helmets, I now believe that there were 3 ROTJ moulds, there is so much difference between the three types.

I am going to do a movie accurate 2009 build up with a very yellow looking aged helmet and I want the round edged satin frown non background look to it.

I have sourced machined mic tips and am actively looking for:

* Snap poppers with the same brand as the originals.

* An accurate hard hat liner.

* Soft leather for the hard hat liner.

I will also be doing cast from my original mould lenses as well. If anyone is interested drop me a pm

Whatever anyone says about Matt, he knows his Stormtroopers like no-one else, having handled originals in the LFL archives, kudos to his work.

Very nice looking helmet Joe.

Do you have any info on the brand of snaps and the type of hard hat liner ?

The brand snaps say 'Newey England' on the top, which is a miltary.WWII brand I think and there is no brand on the hard hat liner.

Joe

I don't think there were three helmet moulds in ROTJ. The reason it looks different from the two other ROTJ helmets is because the moulds have been messed with. The back and cap is too small and the forehead too big. I would say that this helmet is just a recast of one of his old ROTJ's from a decade ago.

It would be great to see it side by side with your original Joe.

I don't think there were three helmet moulds in ROTJ. The reason it looks different from the two other ROTJ helmets is because the moulds have been messed with. The back and cap is too small and the forehead too big. I would say that this helmet is just a recast of one of his old ROTJ's from a decade ago.

It would be great to see it side by side with your original Joe.

Maybe you are right, but the differences are beyond touch up, the traps on this vary massively compared to the background and non background helmets.

On this helmet the chin has been way over sharpened, the teeth have been over sharpened, you are right it probably is a recast from one of his own helmets.

Joe

Looks good, Joe. I was under the understanding that TE's new "ROTJ" lids were actually copies of a "TOUR" helmet.....therefore a recast of a recast so to speak... could TE shed any light on this?

I was told by Matt that he restored his old casting. Basically he sharpened the details up.

Cheers

A

Got some perfect mic tips thanks to Leo. ;)

I am working on a getting a run of machined tips done. More on that later. Apprently Elvistrooper also does machined tips.

I tried a test coat of a plasticote yellow, but it is not nearly brown enough. I don't think there is a spray can colour out there that will match the faded ABS so I think I will go for Death Star sparkling trooper.

I also started on the teeth, matching the rough cuts on the originals, they need a little more filing, but are almost done.

rotjprogress050.jpg

rotjprogress051.jpg

Joe

Got some perfect mic tips thanks to Leo. ;)

I am working on a getting a run of machined tips done. More on that later. Apprently Elvistrooper also does machined tips.

I tried a test coat of a plasticote yellow, but it is not nearly brown enough. I don't think there is a spray can colour out there that will match the faded ABS so I think I will go for Death Star sparkling trooper.

I also started on the teeth, matching the rough cuts on the originals, they need a little more filing, but are almost done.

Joe

Very nice Joe, I really like the color tone you picked for your helmet, nice choice . Nice tips BTW, do they come with the filter behind the mesh?

Cheers

A

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just received this in the post this morning.

paigntonzooaugust200904.jpg

On an aside note, it is so different from my moulds, after seeing this helmet and my other 2 helmets, I now believe that there were 3 ROTJ moulds, there is so much difference between the three types.

Joe,

I'm sure there were only two versions of ROTJ helmet, not three.

Its good to see the ROTJ helmet from the TE molds AT LAST, but i think the reason we have not seen pulls from these molds in the ten or so years they have been around is because the molds needed so much work. I don't know what molding process was used, but looking at the uneven surface on the cap/back in other photos of this replica in other threads here, it looks like it may have been done without taking the helmet apart, maybe even from the outside of the helmet. Or done in a real hurry. Either way, there must be a reason why the cap/back surface has turned out like that. Is this face from the ROTJ molds? I don't see the lump in the right tube. Not sure the ears are ROTJ either unless the helmet was the background/SF style helmet.

I'm not calling this helmet, i think it looks great when finished. And whatever problems people may have with TE, i still say he had the guts to take an original ANH helmet apart and have it molded and thats the only reason we have the replicas we now have. But something went wrong molding the Jedi helmet. It would be interesting to know the story.

Like i said though, it looks really nice when its all painted up and finished.

Keith.