ANH latex stunt tighs

TKDUEUNO

Watching ANH again today I took these screenshots of a pair of stunt thighs, made probably for scenes in which particular movements were required.

The first time we see them are in the "defend the spot" scene in the detention center, weared by the trooper who has to overcome the body of the first dead trooper lying on the breached door.

3518118695_0d2de35a1f_o.jpg

I suppose it's latex because of the color showing through the cracks in the paint, and because it was used for the handguards too. Or maybe it was leather.

We can also clearly see how the cod piece has been cut on the sides to facilitate movements.

The second time we see those stunt thighs is in the last blaster-battle before the escape, when the door is closing before Vader.

3518110145_11bd4978b7_o.jpg

You can clearly see how they bend and wrinkle. Since the paint is not chipped off, this scene may have been shot before the first one, or there were two sets of those.

This doesn't seem a difficult-movements scene, anyway we see these worn the trooper closer to the camera (who later will fall down hit by Luke).

Fascinating. :)

Great screen caps Pablo!

I have often wondered about these thighs. I would have to agree that they are made from a different material than the rest of the armour, not sure if it is latex or not, could well be though? The same wobbly thighs can be seen near the end of ESB when one trooper is shooting at the Millenium Falcon as it takes off from Bespin.

The trooper is the same guy in both scenes, as well as the same one who falls from the bridge when shot by Luke, which I believe is stunt man Peter Diamond. You can tell this by the way the helmet is assembled (face plate lop sided and frown has three teeth cut out) and the fact that one shoulder bell looks padded (for squibs). I remember reading somewhere that his suit (maybe all stunt performers too) were assembled differently than regular sets, plus trimmed differently too.

Excellent screengrabs, Pablo.

It makes sens that these soft thighs were made for troopers doing 'falls' like the trooper who falls off the unextended bridge in the Death Star chasm... and the trooper who falls into the lft-shaft in the docking-bay (in the 2nd screengrab)

I wonder what about the poor trooper who was first to come through the dentntion block door, was blasted, and fell onto the damaged remaints of the door - if he had a standard suit then he probably had to pick out shards of shattered styrene / ABS from his crotch! :o

I'm surprised that the costume department didn't make these stunt thighs from cardboard, simply bent to shape, and painted... for such a simple shape as the thigh armour it would have been quick and cheap.

But judging by these pics, you can make out the side of the thigh undulating in and out (or wobbling might be abetter word? :P ) so it likely was latex, leather or some sort of soft vinyl perhaps?

BTW look at the state of the handguards on the trooper in the detention block in these pics... barely any white paint left on em! :rolleyes:

Cheers,

John

The trooper who falls on his crotch has regular armor:

3518545385_1e23fa274c_o.jpg

And like Paul pointed out the stunt is always the same, also in the bridge scene:

3519355676_91631b3008_o.jpg

The same cut cod and the same helmet, which has the central tooth painted black, probably to identify the stuntman?

He's the one who falls down, and you can see the same soft thighs:

3518545229_90e111a3da_o.jpg

Again Paul knows best ;)

Wow, I just noticed the black middle tooth! It may just be the light or something....best watch the scene frame by frame again to check :)

Looking at the second picture you posted Pablo, you can actually see some white gaffer tape on the shoulder bell where it covers the squib before he gets shot.

I'm loving the rubber thighs BTW. These ANH costumes are simply fantastic. I love how they look thrown together, all rugged and scuffed up....gorgeous :wub:

Fun images to study, thanks for posting them. The trooper in the very first photos is also missing his drop boxes. Clearly these stunt versions of armor where meant for way more wear and tear than any of use do while simple trooping in them.

Nice to see that after 30 years there are always new details to show.

I thought the black middle thooth are maybe cut off and not black paint.

So that he can look through it.

That makes alot of sense- we know they had similar set up on the vader helmet albeit a little more complex, but if that tooth were cut it would help his vision a little.

Great find! :)

The tooth looks black to me, ie not reflecting the actors skin, like the teeth holes next to it. If that makes any sense...

I see what you mean but with a little mesh behind it would increase the downward vision, essential when doing stuntwork, and stop it being see-through.

I see it as the tooth is missing.Also the padding under the shoulder bell is ready for this shot by Luke in the hanger bay.Must have all been done in one days filming.

3522814237_15c13216db_o.jpg

hanger bay the same guy.

3522814333_169b8499cb_o.jpg

3523620922_147dcda909_o.jpg

great find mate and gives us all another exuse to see ANH,Not that we need one ;)

Great thread. Also Great find.

For accuracy... Yep.. I think Latex. It is cheap to make. The molds are hard to work on, but it seems that only a few have em on anyways.

Now today if one were to make em I say Dragonskin tinted white. Man, those would be comfy!

Didn't ESB have Vinyl shins as well?

Because of the smoke at shootingscenes i found some interresting.

It seems that the guns were not deactivated from modding to E 11...they shoot with blanks...

--------------

And you can see at the scene where the trooper is falling over the rebel how quick he stand up.

so there must be a big rubber allotment in the plastic of the armor.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Yep, they were shooting blanks. I thought this was common knowledge. There are a few scenes in ANH where you can see the 9mm casings ejecting from the blasters.