IS THERE ANY PLANS FOR AN ARMOURER TEAM

binkx02

Hi,

Our numbers are increasing daily and with new costumes coming to our boards.I was just wondering if there were any plans for an armourer team to help fellow troopers with every aspect of their suits.I know we already have some very good tutorials ,search function and when a member posts up a question there are always at least a dozen other members popping up with suggestions.

We have an armourer team within the UKG which works very well and covers all SW ,SW EU and other movie costumes eg.if you want info on a tk you can pm "john smith",if you want info on a bobafett you can pm "betty smith" and if you need any info on electronics you can pm "jane smith" and so on.

We only have TK's at the moment but there are around a dozen different manufacturers of that particular suit ,all with their own little quirks so you could have a person or two for each make of suit eg,FX,TM,TE2 .

I also believe some people would rather PM one particular person for info regarding a certain suit rather than post up a question for fear it may be a bit of a silly question.

This could also free up the boards and stops questions getting posted that have already been asked and answered.

We can't push the burden to a select team. Everyone helps however they want or can.

Not only do we have different armor types, we all have different ways of assembling them. The best thing to do, is to do research, perhaps ask a few questions, and assemble it with a group of 501st members that are local to that person. All information is already grouped up in categories for easy browsing.

The whole point of this forum is to *not* have stuff in PM. All information should be transparent, lest we get people making biased recommendations behind closed doors. The only private stuff really is contact info for AP, really.

If people are not finding answers easily, we should restructure the site or make an index. We already have kicked of an "academy" static site to help this as well. If people aren't getting their questions answered, that's a different problem.

This whole forum is in essence the "armorers". Wyatt as Armor Chief is responsible for creating and selecting tutorials for the "academy" for now, but also handles tons of PMs as well.

What other need is not being met - I really do want to hear so we can address it.

Hi mate, For the FISD it works best when multiple people respond. The person asking gets multiple answers and can choose the one that suits them best. That way everybody learns. :) It's what the whole place is about. Understandably the UKG want to keep the threads down to a minimum. TBH, I'd much prefer if the Garrison's referred people to correct detachments depending on the costume being produced.

Hi mate, For the FISD it works best when multiple people respond. The person asking gets multiple answers and can choose the one that suits them best. That way everybody learns. :) It's what the whole place is about. Understandably the UKG want to keep the threads down to a minimum. TBH, I'd much prefer if the Garrison's referred people to correct detachments depending on the costume being produced.

Aaron

I agree with you mate, there's enough of us watching out and responding to posts to

cover most questions thown out there. :)

The trouble with Garrisons refering people solely to detachments without giving a little

bit of advice is not all detachments are as active as us over here.There is ALWAYS

someone here at any given time but some of the less active sites may go for days

before someone gets around to answering the simplest of questions.

Arrh, the trials and tribulations of being the best darn detachment in the 501st

oooow HARH!!! B)

FYI I'm not trying to shut down the concept, just to explain the reasoning. Garrisons have an armor team so there is a dedicated POC for people to go to in helping get armor done. But part of the whole point of a detachment is the same purpose.

Secondly, I feel good advice should be transparent. Part of my beef when I joined the Legion was that so much information seemed to be about who you knew, or who you could bribe to help you out. And even then, you got their opinion, which may or may not be the best advice.

If the info is hard to find, we should make it easier to find. :)

Aaron

I agree with you mate, there's enough of us watching out and responding to posts to

cover most questions thown out there. :)

The trouble with Garrisons refering people solely to detachments without giving a little

bit of advice is not all detachments are as active as us over here.There is ALWAYS

someone here at any given time but some of the less active sites may go for days

before someone gets around to answering the simplest of questions.

Arrh, the trials and tribulations of being the best darn detachment in the 501st

oooow HARH!!! B)

I agree Billy and if it was general policy to refer to the dets, it can only drive up traffic to those detachments. I'm not saying questions couldn't be answered on the local garrison forum. :) I mean. I started posting on the UKG in 2005 and wasn't aware of this place until Colin booted my a very impolite person in the right direction! :D

I feel good advice should be transparent. Part of my beef when I joined the Legion was that so much information seemed to be about who you knew, or who you could bribe to help you out. And even then, you got their opinion, which may or may not be the best advice.

Amen to the last line B)

FYI I'm not trying to shut down the concept, just to explain the reasoning. Garrisons have an armor team so there is a dedicated POC for people to go to in helping get armor done. But part of the whole point of a detachment is the same purpose.

Secondly, I feel good advice should be transparent. Part of my beef when I joined the Legion was that so much information seemed to be about who you knew, or who you could bribe to help you out. And even then, you got their opinion, which may or may not be the best advice.

Thats cool,

I was thinking the idea could be a little extra thing to run alongside everything that is on the forum at the moment,the tutorials, advice offered up by other users and the W.I.P reports ,as part of an ever continuing improvement of the forum and to give the question asker more of a choice,ie post publicly or PM a member of the team (if they mabye felt a bit embarrassed about asking the question).

I like many others come here as i find this forum a much friendlier place than my local garrison forum and love all the advice and W.I.P tutorials that get posted.The structure of the armorer team can be set up any way you want it to be so it doesnt have to be the case of who you know or who you could bribe to help you out.I know that no 2 suits are assembled and built the same so it would be up to the individual asker if he/she decides to contact an armorer to follow the info or try somewhere else.Mabye having 2 or 3 armores per subject so different opinions could be given .

i hope that is more clearer than my first post :)

From what i have seen posted already on this subject, i believe all already have their EI status but i think for someone like myself who has just been garrison cleared and done their suit to the EI requirements but not submitted it for approval yet this would def interest me.

An Armourer or a designated expert person who could answer the questions on how do i put this bit together or if i seem to have a bit of a problem with something i can go and ask that person advice. Someone who has the knowledge on the EI requirements as opposed to just a general build for garrison clearance.

I think a team of people would be good to go to for that advice as not everyone would have the confidence to make an open post for fear of being flamed and would rather have a more personal approach.

Obviously if this were to happen those taking on the job would have to be someone dedicated to fulfilling the role but also be prepared to spend a little bit of time to do it also.

Well thats ones newbies look at at anyway, hope you can make sense of all that :P

Oh and i think i might have hit the 'Report' button instead of the add reply one...sorry :S

....I think a team of people would be good to go to for that advice as not everyone would have the confidence to make an open post for fear of being flamed and would rather have a more personal approach.....

Mark

Hopefully no one will ever , EVER, feel that they will be 'flamed' for asking a question on the FISD.

Big, small, stupid, irritating, or down right bizarre :blink: , no matter what the nature is,

they are always answered in a civil way mate :)

As the new tag line goes........

3390452051_8770b2a519_o.jpgTroopers Helping Troopers 3391263938_ab9ed8fc95_o.jpg

:)

I don't think I've ever seen flaming happen on FISD at all (with the exception of those pesky armor history threads, but we wont go there, we all know who the trouble makers are, and they are no longer here)

It's been said better by others on here, but I just want to add to it. I really don't think that the FISD needs a specific armorer person, unless they just want to make one point of contact for where to buy type PMs.

The real beauty of this site is the feedback and all the different ways people have of putting together a suit.

I'll agree with the FISD's civil nature. I think it's about the friendliest forum on the 'net (and not just the 501st/prop forums either). The group dynamics here have always been really good, and it seems to me that it carries on with each new member. :)

I agree that this detachment is the team. I've learned a lot on this board and in turn I share what knowledge I have.

It's been said better by others on here, but I just want to add to it. I really don't think that the FISD needs a specific armorer person, unless they just want to make one point of contact for where to buy type PMs.

I agree with you. However, I no longer move armor for people. I help with aspects of armor building, either by pm or phone, which is something I would do were I not the armor chief.

Which brings me to this question; Why pay me for a job that I would otherwise do for free?

Which brings me to this question; Why pay me for a job that I would otherwise do for free?

Answer: The bonuses at the end of the year. And the jet. Don't forget the jet.