Enlisting

Amish Trooper

As some of you may have remember I lost my job a while back and financially my family is hurting . So I have decided to enlist in the Navy..2nd choice Air Force being first . They are trying to get a waiver due to my age of 33 but I doubt it the only thing helping is my degree. I think this will be a good thing I come from a military family and I'm the only one who didn't go instead I went to the University of Michigan..HA HA..My father did 26 and retired a full bull in the Air Force and my brother is a SeaBee. So I get there viewpoints I was hoping to maybe get a few more from some fellas here. Thanks

Cant say I envy you Steve. I did 8 years on the Navy and I am one happy civilian these days. Best advice I can give you, the smaller the ship the better!

Good luck man, I'm in the same boat (if you'll pardon the pun). I'm trying to start a web design business, tho, I'm too 5h17 scared to join any armed forces, plus I'm probably over the hill at 35. :lol:

At the risk of sounding biased (which I am), of all the services the Air Force tends to offer the best quality of life and the most opportunity to learn a skill that's applicable to the civilian world.

Regardless, the best advice I can offer is know what you want to do and be vocal about it before you sign the paperwork. If you go into the recruiter's office saying "I'll do whatever" I guarantee if there is a s*** job that recruiter needs to fill, you'll be the one to get it.

Not to say that the hard-to-fill jobs are less important, they ALL contribute to the overall mission of national security. Doesn't matter if you're filling sandbags or flying B-2s. Still, for whatever reason, some are less desirable than others.

By the way, Air Force = no ships = no fleet duty ;)

At the risk of sounding biased (which I am), of all the services the Air Force tends to offer the best quality of life and the most opportunity to learn a skill that's applicable to the civilian world.

Regardless, the best advice I can offer is know what you want to do and be vocal about it before you sign the paperwork. If you go into the recruiter's office saying "I'll do whatever" I guarantee if there is a s*** job that recruiter needs to fill, you'll be the one to get it.

Not to say that the hard-to-fill jobs are less important, they ALL contribute to the overall mission of national security. Doesn't matter if you're filling sandbags or flying B-2s. Still, for whatever reason, some are less desirable than others.

By the way, Air Force = no ships = no fleet duty ;)

And no "field". Yeah, at 33 I'd go to the Air Force too.

Hi Steve,

So, you've decided to enlist in the military. Best wishes to you amigo.

My nineteen-year-old son is seriously thinking about joining up with the coast guard...seems his best friend just graduated from boot. (I had to kid with him though, the coast guard wasn't even considered part of the military until recently...belonged to the Department of Transportation)

The minority of troopers here know that I'm a twenty year veteran from the U.S. Air Force and I'll share this with you: It was the "fastest" twenty years of my life...good times & bad.

The military IS NOT for everyone and more importantly, everyone IS NOT your friend. You'd think that the U.S. military would attract talented people, not always the case. Just like in the civilian world, you've got your slugs.

Be safe and take care. God bless bro!

Aloha,

T :salute:

All Right... My turn.

First off, T you are right. Spot on advice. The military is what you make it. 10% effort will make you better than 80% of all your "peers".

NAVY

Why? (And I am a fleet sailor.)

3 hots and a cot. Thats enough right there, but really... You will learn just as much as you would in the Air Force and you will advance. From the guys I know in the AF the Advancement is pretty dismal right now.

Dude, I have been to 15 Countrys in less than 6 years. Yep. Tons of underway. Thats the Navy.

Remember Seabees are in Afganistan, Spec Ops are all over. I say Avaition and stay away from goof ball rates like PR, AG and YN. Go for a skill job, Electronics, Computers, Welding... AT, AM, AME, and AS.

I am an MR. Love it. BUT... Steer clear of Engineering if you can. I would go Airdale. Really.

I am soon to be going back. I cant believe I miss it so much. Hey, the reserve is offering up 15G's bonus for teh right jobs as well... Cost you 6 but hey... Weekend warrior for at least 2 years non deployable.

You have a degree? Get a Stateroom and a Salute. Run the show. Officer. Dont let the recruiters sell you short. ASK ALL KINDS of questions. Keep them on their toes. Something doesent sound right, make them explain it.

PM me if you want to talk bro!

Good luck on your endeavors. I would like to echo a few things already said - get a guaranteed job, do not go into any service with an "open Assignment" - NO MATTER WHAT! I know that recruiters have a job to do, but don’t be fooled by “job possibilities”, get what you want before you sign.

I did four years in the Air Force, so I would be happy to answer any Air Force questions for you. Send a PM if you care to chat.

Take care !

Yep, AF is the way to go. I've been in 10 years myself. Just got to go that extra 10 to get that retirement check! As others have said, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GUARANTEED JOB! Unless you want to be sloppin food in the chow hall or standing at various entry control points checking ID's for 12+ hours a day...not that there's anything wrong with that (don't want to offend any Services or Security Forces folks out there)!

Also, others have mentioned that there's no ship duty, but keep in mind that deployments to various 'sand boxes' are reality in the AF as in any other other service branch. We got a lot of aircraft sittin around the world and those things aren't fixing themselves. The closer your job comes to aircraft maintenance then the more 'intimate' you'll be with deployments.

But,

i will say that for me, the AF was the way to go. I'm a single parent and it's working out good for me as far as workload, hours, and TDYs go. I enjoy the people I work with, I can get a good paying job on the outside, and stability (AF doesn't get moved around as much as other services on average).

As far as promotions, the AF may take a bit longer compared to other branches, but it takes WAAAY more effort to lose rank! We hardly ever get demoted!!

Hope this helps and good luck! It's all what you make of it!! :)

:P Now I know what you been up to! Hi Steve, Steve here, and I must say, 33...your a kid still! Way up here in the cold north, I'm in the process of getting out of the army up here on a medical release, after 28 long years! (by the way unlike some of my Army friends, I for one respect the "Ladys in the Navy"! :lol: ) You think 33 is too old? Up here the last few years I worked as a recruiter and I sent more the a few files with app's from 33,34,38, even 40 year old's....with degree's....for "Officer" enlistment. That sheep skin will help you out big time. Or should, I don't know that much about the US military enlistment reg's but as far as I know to have a degree open's doors in any military force. It can be a very good life for an Officer in any military, so good luck!

Go NAVY. 17 1/2 years and I've never been to the boat.

Besides, remember the bumper sticker from the 70's: "Sailors Do It Better"?

How did you pull that off... Please share!

I am off to do the same thing soon AT. Might be in route to sign the line again this month.

How did you pull that off... Please share!

Shore duty out of A school, then went Aircrew.

AT, it's a tough decision to make at your age. And I certainly salute you for even considering it. Keep in mind that you'll most definitely relocate, and the pay will be low for the first few years. And if you have a family, consider whether you're willing to be away from them for extended periods of time. The Navy deploys far more often, and for longer periods than the Air Force. But you know this having come from a military family. And take advantage of that degree! An E with a degree is becoming much more commonplace (there are four of us in my command with BS/BA and 10 or so with AS/AA), but O would be the place to be - at 33. (As I'm reading this for editing, I noticed it rhymes) Whatever your decision, I wish you the best of luck!