TE2/AP New recruit requesting insight

I have been bouncing from several forums, etc. and I keep hearing about TE2 and AP. These seem to both get good if not high reviews by members in my garrison. I've even been to the shepard studios site just to see the quality given the restrictions in place for the US.

What would be the best set to go with? Are there reputable vendors in the states for them? I am embarking on a large project of (2) costumes, TK and Tie Pilot. I intend to eventually have Darth Vader as my center piece to my collection but im definately ready for that yet.

I would appreciate any members advice or suggestions your willing to extend to a new recruit.

I have AP and it looks great. I think its a little more durable than TE2 because its ABS v.s. Styrene. However TE2 is great as well. The styrene allows for sharper pulls but makes for a weaker plastic. Assuming you can fit into either of them you certainly would not be dissapointed with them. They are both more work to build than say FX but the results are so much better.

I have AP and it looks great. I think its a little more durable than TE2 because its ABS v.s. Styrene. However TE2 is great as well. The styrene allows for sharper pulls but makes for a weaker plastic. Assuming you can fit into either of them you certainly would not be dissapointed with them. They are both more work to build than say FX but the results are so much better.

Is AP pretty much the same as a GF? How about in term of size, is it made for slimmer build?

Here's the best thread on this whole debate...

http://forum.whitearmor.net/index.php?showtopic=1399

It's like everyone says... it really comes down to your preference.

They're both excellent sets (from what I've seen). Just read, read, read, and then read some more to make sure you know you're getting what you want before you get it. Or get the "other one" later. :)

Assuming you can fit into either of them you certainly would not be dissapointed with them. They are both more work to build than say FX but the results are so much better.

That is a really good point. One thing that might help is for you to share your body size.

Keep in mind the TE2 is designed "best" for someone who is the same size as the original actors (5'10" and about 170 lbs).

This is NOT to say someone with a different body size cannot make it work (as Paul can attest to), but it is something to consider.

Agreed, AP, TE2 - both these guys make great armour.

I have a set of TE2 and its superb. TM's also great and of course GF if you can find a set. However as others have said they are better suited to the size the original wearers were. I'm 6ft so probably at the top end.

Larger guys are probably better with FX armour - but a TE2/GF/AP/TM/MR/etc helmet. You can "mix and match"

Cheers

Jez

Take the sizing with a grain of salt. I'm 6'0" 180lbs and had to trim a little bit on the sides, though one bicep/shin did need shimming. People as big as 6'4" have made TE look OK, and we've seen people here 5'4" in trimmed down FX that looked OK.

Yes, each armor is made for a particular ideal size, but it's really all about the quality of the build job. What you do with your kit is as important as which kit you get.

Also, while HIPS armor will not withstand the same abuse as ABS, it's fine for trooping IMHO after personally owning both.

Ford wears armour well, but is stretching a bit more than on some of the smaller guys. Still looks very good on him :)

Brian Muir said the original armour was sculpted on an average sized mannequin, but what is average? Armour looks better on anyone between 5'10" and 6' and of a medium to slim build which is what it was probably designed to fit. Of course, armour can be made to fit other body sizes, but it will not look like what it does on screen, that's all.

Im not disagreing. I just pointed out that there are no exact numbers on how big the actors where.

I always thought Han looked cooler then Luke in the armor btw ;)

Are there any diferences in size between AP, TE2 and TM? For some reason I find AP to look smaller on the pics.

i have an AP kit and am a little shorter than average at 5'8", and im a lil rounder,but im workin on that haha.i weigh in at around 205ish.im probably as round as you can get with the AP armor before it starts to look silly,in my opinion anyways.here's a pic of it on me. I do agree with what was said that the build is as important as the armor you get.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

TK-6908 said:
i have an AP kit and am a little shorter than average at 5'8", and im a lil rounder,but im workin on that haha.i weigh in at around 205ish.im probably as round as you can get with the AP armor before it starts to look silly,in my opinion anyways.here's a pic of it on me. I do agree with what was said that the build is as important as the armor you get.

----------

Well, you don't look silly at all... so I'd say that it fits. :D

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

• 3 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I'm going with an AP kit, I'm roughly 6'2" 190 lbs, I talked with Mark at AP and he assured me the kit can be fit to my body, Anyone my size that completed an AP kit have any pictures?

Thanks.

Chris.

I did help a friend with his AP. He's about your height (6' 1" I think). The only "issue" that he has is a 1-1/2" gap between his kidney and back plate.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thank you for the reply tolo. Is your friend tall in the torso area? Im tall in my legs, I took a measurement of my torso from just below the waist (crotch area) to about my Adams apple. It's roughly 27-28", will I have this issuue with gapbetween the kidney and back plate you think?

Thanks,

Chris.

Thank you for the reply tolo. Is your friend tall in the torso area? Im tall in my legs, I took a measurement of my torso from just below the waist (crotch area) to about my Adams apple. It's roughly 27-28", will I have this issuue with gapbetween the kidney and back plate you think?

Thanks,

Chris.

I honestly can't answer you. But, long legs, will help you walk better with your armor loll

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk