How Should I Do This?

Xerakon

Hey Troopers,

In an attempt to ensure that I get everything right the FIRST time (big laugh, huh? ;) ), I'm trying to get a feel for the strapping system. I've seen everything in tutorials and videos from rivets to velcro to glue to abs/leather straps. Which is the best method to use, do you think?

For me there is no velcro on any strapping. I always using poppers which for me ensures the exact same fit every time. Also, I use elastic strapping to allow some flex so I don't strain any parts.

I use almost all velcro in my strapping system but it periodically requires replacement in certain areas. I "suffer" from a hyperactive thyroid and my body normally fluctuates 10 pounds in both directions so the dynamic solution of velcro ensures that I can get a proper fit no matter what I weigh that day.

...... don't use any webbing anywhere on your suit.

I use webbing everywhere except the shoulder bells and thigh suspenders. Using webbing to hold the abs and back on, gives me a solid strap to clip my bells onto, leaving the chest and back to sit freely on my shoulders without being pulled at all by anything. I think everyone does it differently though - there's no right and wrong way as such..

I know the MEPD used to have a half descent thread on strapping like in the movies, not sure if it's still there?

Just looked through this site, plus searched & could'nt find anything like a "definative way to strap like the movies" if thats the way you wanted to go?

it could be one of those secrets ppl don't like letting go of :blink:

Daetrin said:
IIRC it just showed a graphic Paul created.

Paul

I don't know if this was the one you were talking about. :)

Can't remember where I picked this up, had to be here or on the MEPD

The things we bloody keep hey? :D

0pVJDkc.jpg

:)

Steve,

The link is showing up as an error for me. The image in Billys' post was done by me and it is a very simple and effective strapping method for the arms and legs. I designed it so that it could be put on before the main body armour which is just slipped on in one piece from the side. The braces keep the thin belt up in place because my thig armour was pulling them down, so they sorted that problem. Another problem I didn't like was the biceps pulling the shoulder bells away from my shoulder straps, making a big gap. With this strapping, the bells are on their own straps and attached at the back of the neck and the biceps have their own strap attched at the same spot. Really simple, really effective!

VJR8xKT.jpg

I don't know if this is the image you were trying to show on the MEPD, but it is close to the original strapping, minus the long chest straps.

xpVgyHL.jpg

My advice (AND I'm a newbie) is to start with Velcro and then see how you would like to change it. Velcro is easily removable. Cementing snaps in the wrong place is really hard to change.

I am using a combo of different methods.

I'm using the suspenders for the ab and back plate just like Daves Garage.

A combo of Glue and Velcro for the forearms. (I can't get my hands through the armor if they are glued on both sides.)

Snaps to hold the biceps to the shoulder bells.

Velcro to hold the shoulder bells. I used two full pieces of the industrial loop velcro adhered back to back making one TOUGH & WIDE piece of velcro to hold them on. It is MUCH stronger than any snap setup. It is also much easier to put the shoulder bells on because the wide velcro doesn't move around much and is always where it should be. I found that even with the most heavy duty of snaps on the shoulder bells, if you happen to bump it the wrong way, it can come off easily... and face it, with all of this armor on, it's not easy sometimes to reach over and re-attach it.

...just my 2 cents worth.

troopermaster said:

Steve,

The link is showing up as an error for me. The image in Billys' post was done by me and it is a very simple and effective strapping method for the arms and legs. I designed it so that it could be put on before the main body armour which is just slipped on in one piece from the side. The braces keep the thin belt up in place because my thig armour was pulling them down, so they sorted that problem. Another problem I didn't like was the biceps pulling the shoulder bells away from my shoulder straps, making a big gap. With this strapping, the bells are on their own straps and attached at the back of the neck and the biceps have their own strap attched at the same spot. Really simple, really effective!

I don't know if this is the image you were trying to show on the MEPD, but it is close to the original strapping, minus the long chest straps.

Sorry the linky wont worky :o

Thats one of the pic's from the thread Paul many thanks.

The thread in question that I tried to post but wont let me???

is Over at the MEPD

under Archived Discussions

& titled revisiting the Strapping/Armour discussions

it is 11 pages deep but worth a look