Potential Recruit - Dune Sea Garrison

Greetings  Troopers,

I have wanted to be a stormtrooper since I was 10, and I am starting my journey.  I met some troopers from the Dune Sea Garrison, including the commander last weekend in Phoenix and I think now is the time to do it.  I have a million questions, but I also want to set my expectations.  For example, this is my first costume and my first armor, but I really want to shoot for Centurion Armor.  There's nothing obvious in the requirements to steer me to the lower levels, but it does seem like you need to make that decision on day 1.  Would I be crazy to try?

Pros:  I am a fairly handy person in general, and I am a lifelong maker of things.  I am pretty good with 3D modeling, and I have a Prusa MK4.  So I do have the ability to make my own small parts. I have made a Han Solo Blaster and Marvin the Martian's blaster.  Both are fully finished props.  I am working on Hellboy's gun, the Good Samaritan. My intent is to make that one fully realistic gun metal colored, so it's a good test for an E-11.  I am an avid woodworker.  I'm pretty good with a Dremel.  (clamps people, the secret is clamps) I have built many small things, such as a set of steampunk goggles.  That project included leatherwork, which I enjoyed. 

Cons: Uh, none of those things seem to have anything to do with the skills I need here.  Also, I can't sew.  (yet?) That would seem like a pretty huge liability.  I understand that I will be purchasing the molded parts from someone, so I guess I don't need to build a vacuum form machine just yet; so that's good.  Yeah, the con is that I don't know what I am doing.  The Dune Sea Garrison does seem to have regular build parties, so I should be able to get some in-person help.

Anyway, based on the resume above, should I shoot for centurion, or am I kidding myself?

• Like 4

Hello and welcome aboard (from another DSG ;)

Some great info and links in this thread should help you on your way 

It's not as daunting as it first looks, research is the key and don't be afraid to ask questions, there are no silly questions, just silly mistakes from not asking them ;) 

Look forward to seeing a build thread from you soon

You've taken your first step into a larger world!

Welcome to FISD. I can tell you as a non-handyman, you've already got one up on me and I do okay.

Shooting for Centurion off the bat is a great way to start. It can be tough, but rewarding.

As @gmrhodes13 has already pointed out, there are lots of resources and friendly faces around to help.

So hope on in, take a look at some build resources, look at some of the build threads (you can check my two out in the links below my signature), and jump in with both feet. We'll be here to assist with any questions you might have!

Best of luck and we look forward to seeing your build page!

9f7efb113c8cafa762bbad075e1500e61d6268d7a6b13a3e7c24938e03ac97a8_1.webp

Welcome to FISD.

You should be fine, the general principle still applies if you are a maker of things.

Welcome to FISD, I am sure we can all learn new skills from each other. You will feel right at home here.

Welcome! It's great you were able to connect with local members! The Dune Sea's commander is an awesome person!

Although I myself have not built to Centurion, it is best to be attentive to that goal throughout your build. Many people who regularly post here have built to the Centurion level (as well as at least a couple folks in the Dune Sea Garrison), so asking about those requirements as you build is a great way to get feedback and make sure you can achieve Centurion!

Once you purchased your armor kit, I highly recommend creating a build thread to post your progress updates and any questions you have as you work!

• Like 1

Welcome aboard Jeffrey! 

You have all the necessary to build the armor through Centurion Level.

Check out the Index Glen gave you, open your own build thread ask all questions you have . We are here to Help.

A good start point is to check the best armor for you. Good luck. :salute:

Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your build thread in the near future. 

Just to echo my fellow Troopers, research and ask questions is key. 

We are here to help you. 

Welcome to the FISD!

I don't think you need to worry, though we all do especially the first time.  You have a lot of skills there that whilst maybe not directly applicable have taught you to figure stuff out. Take that and some guidance from your garrison and us here on the forum and I am sure you will be a Centurion soon enough.

My single best piece of advice is to take your time before buying anything. Take some time to see what your local troopers are using, what the more recent centurions are using and what is in your budget and make sure it will work for the goals you want to achieve.

Thank you all!  I am not jumping in to the purchase, but it is oh so very tempting.  I will definitely start a build post.  Given the waiting period here, my first project is likely to be an E-11. 

It seems as if the AP version of the armor is quite available, but only in a pre-trimmed (and drilled) version.  As a general question, does a pre-trimmed version help or hinder my efforts?  Is it just the money, or do I have to worry about them doing it wrong?  I believe this is currently considered a good supplier, so I have been looking around for the pros and cons of this maker.

Do I start a build thread before I've even ordered anything?  Not that sexy in terms of photo content.  

8 minutes ago, jefoid said:

Thank you all!  I am not jumping in to the purchase, but it is oh so very tempting.  I will definitely start a build post.  Given the waiting period here, my first project is likely to be an E-11. 

It seems as if the AP version of the armor is quite available, but only in a pre-trimmed (and drilled) version.  As a general question, does a pre-trimmed version help or hinder my efforts?  Is it just the money, or do I have to worry about them doing it wrong?  I believe this is currently considered a good supplier, so I have been looking around for the pros and cons of this maker.

Do I start a build thread before I've even ordered anything?  Not that sexy in terms of photo content.  

The turtle wins the race, when I started I had a 6 month wait for my ATA armor, over the next years that went up to 9 months, unfortunately the maker passed a few years ago.

Really depends on your size, if you are standard Stormtrooper size you would have no worries, if your size is a little taller/shorter and if you have lower or higher weight you may need to make adjustments so an untrimmed is better. 

If you have a look through some of the build threads or Expert Infantry many have the abbreviation of armor maker in the page titles, will give you a good idea of sizing.

Here's just one of those

• Like 1

Welcome to the FISD Jeffrey! I think shooting for Centurion is an awesome thing to do, and a lot of fun as well! Those requirements are abeolutely easiest to achieve when having them in mind in your build from day 1, for example I had to cut off my sniper knee with a knife to adjust the position for Centurion, and if I had put in on myself the right way from the beginning that would of course have been a lot easier! :laugh1:

Glad to have you!! :peace:

Hi Jeffrey. Welcome to the FISD. 
congratulations on your decision to build a stormtrooper costume and aiming for centurion from the start is a great plan. 
with respect to preteimmed kits from AP, Mark is an experienced armourer and you should have no problems. I got my AP kit raw and rather enjoyed the trimming process as it helped me to learn more about the build along the way. It’s odd that he doesn’t have any non trimmed sets. 
Looking forward do following your build.