Handicap

Hudson

I just found out that do to an injury in the service, I will need to have my leg amputated from the knee down. I was wondering if anyone knows of any mods that can be done to a simple metal rod so that the shin armor fits perfect. I searched the boards and could not find anything.

my thoughts would be to make a styrofoam calf to slip around the rod, combine that with some padding in the calf piece and it should be good to go. I'd like to be a part of this if it becomes a project.

Albin Johnson (founder of the 501st) had his leg amputated from knee down. Try contacting him and see how he has his shin armor

Beat me to it.

Sorry about your leg. Thanks for your service soldier. We are in your debt.

You could look into a resin foam product. You could pour it into the calf with a slip over pipe in inside. That is if your prosthetic foot comes off easy. Then it would be a slip on plug and play fit. The only tricky part would be to figure some way of keying it to the prosthetic so it doesn't spin around. shouldn't be too tough. A notch of some kind in the bottom of the pipe.

By the time this thread is done, you might have a bionic replacement. :)

Take care.

You are awesome bro, thanks for your sacrifice. I would take a calf piece and assemble it, then I would cap off the top and bottom and place a pipe like piece inside roughly the same size as my prosthetic. Then I would fill the cavity with foam and make a key that would hold it all in place. That way you can just snap it into place and velcro as usual in back. I would love to see the build thread on this because you would be an inspiration to others. Be careful with your rod/prosthetic I hear they can cost alot of dough.

I appreciate all the thank yous I am getting, but I wouldn't feel right if i didn't explain the injury. My ship was in dry dock and I was painting the anchor when it fell on my foot. It wasn't in battle or anything.

Also, thanks for all the advice. I will find out what kind of prothesis I am going to get next week and go from there.

It happened while in service to your country. By swearing in, you signed a blank check for your life payable to the US of A. You are a hero and a servant to our great country. Dont ever discount your efforts and time in the military. There are MANY who would never have the balls to do what you have done.

Hi Dave,

Not much more I can add to what the others have said except "Thank you" for serving our country.

If there's anything I might be able to provide to make this a reality for you please don't hesitate to ask.

Aloha & God bless.

T :salute:

It happened while in service to your country. By swearing in, you signed a blank check for your life payable to the US of A. You are a hero and a servant to our great country. Dont ever discount your efforts and time in the military. There are MANY who would never have the balls to do what you have done.

Agreed. It's all the luck of the dice. We can't always control when/where we get deployed or what happens when we do. But what matters is we all signed on that dotted line. Sorry to hear about your loss, but I'm in complete agreement that soldiering on is admirable and can serve to inspire others. Courage isn't the absence of fear, it's the ability to take action when you are afraid.

Glad to see brothers here willing to help out - feel free to ask for help of any kind!

God Speed on your health getting better. It seems you are in good spirits and that is a great thing. I am sure Albin will be a great help, he is one awesome trooper.

You will be as well.

My hats off to you. My Dixie might be only reserve now, but Sailors are a speicial breed. 4510 said it great. You are a hero. Dont let any one tell you any diffrent. You will always be a hero, and now you will do it in white plastic as well.

Awesome.

Well, your a hero in my book brother :duim::salute::trooper: do'nt ever let a dissability let you down, i remind myself of this everyday :) God bless and I'll be praying for your speedy recovery