Deta's ESB build

Detaleader

Hey everyone! First timer here :) 

I have some great news...I'm expecting! During the recent Black Friday sales I managed to secure a TK kit from RS Propmasters and I will be building it by myself soon. Luckily, this is not my first ever build around Star Wars stuff, but it is the first time doing armor, not just a helmet. 

Before the kit arrives (hopefully!) soon, I have been doing some research and found, that I would like to become an ESB Trooper. The advantages seem to be plentiful and I just like the look a lot. I even managed to snag a Pugman blaster from them! 

Before I start building, I'll have to check if the parts fit me. I'm on the bigger side and somewhat worried, but I suppose at the end of the day everything can be shimmed. Covid wasn't too kind to me, so I'm sitting at 5'8 with 250 lbs right now :wacko: Should worst come to worst, I will start with the limbs only and get back on my fitness before assembling the torso. 

Now, before I start building there are a few things I'd like to get some clarity on: 

- Considering the lineage of the RS armor, I feel like it would be worth a shot and build this to Level 3 specs. Do you think this is a reasonable thing to seek out for a first timer (on armor)? I'm handy with a dremel and such, but I am worried about certain stepping stones just making it impractical for a first try. 

- RS have a series of armor build tutorials on YouTube. Would these be adequate when aiming for a Level 3 build? 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLylZBXOeIZgnM256-WdjM5oMLygc-_4pZ

- Can internal parts of the costume be changed and a Lvl 3 spec still achieved? I'm thinking of for example adding white velcro inside the calves instead of the hook system, as it seems sturdier to me. 

- ESB TKs generally seem wonkier than the ANH ones, especially when looking at the biceps and shoulders. Is approval with these things more relaxed than say ANH troopers? 

- In many shots of ESB, the rear part of the shoulder straps seem to be glued down or even riveted(!) in place. The CRL requires the straps to be free float and held with a fabric band, but looking at the film, I see no visible fabric bands and only sometimes free floating shoulders. There is also some of the troopers with their shoulder bells sitting super high up, as if padded ROTJ style. When submitting for approval, can these requirements from the CRL be "overturned", as long as matching evidence is provided? I know this has been successful with other costumes in the past, but I am worried about the TK ESB specifically, as some of the answers I have read online seem inconclusive. 

Any help with these questions would be greatly appreciated! I will be updating the thread with pics of progress and further questions of course :) Once the build is done, I hope to sign up with the UK Garrison - or depending on how life goes - the German Garrison. 

Thanks for the help everyone and cheers! 

Hi Shayan,

Welcome to FISD and glad to read you're on your way of becoming an imperial Stormtrooper ! :jc_doublethumbup:

About your questions, what I can suggest and help.

Considering the lineage of the RS armor, I feel like it would be worth a shot and build this to Level 3 specs. Do you think this is a reasonable thing to seek out for a first timer (on armor)?

Definitely YES , it's better to aim for L3 from the start.  We are here to help you .

I'm handy with a dremel and such, but I am worried about certain stepping stones just making it impractical for a first try. 

- RS have a series of armor build tutorials on YouTube. Would these be adequate when aiming for a Level 3 build? 

All resources are good, you can learn from everything on hand (videos, Building threads here and direct tips from others also here) 

I would recommend to check this useful index of resources HERE  and especially when aiming for L3 check the GALLERY SECTION and ask every questions before CUT or GLUE to receive feedback 

- Can internal parts of the costume be changed and a Lvl 3 spec still achieved? I'm thinking of for example adding white velcro inside the calves instead of the hook system, as it seems sturdier to me. 

Yes ,  some internal changes are allowed  and still achieve Level 3 , Check and ask first to be sure.

Once your kit arrives, I strongly recommend to open a Building Thread HERE , post tons of photos to ensure  you will receive better help, feedback and tips to accomplish your goal.

Good luck and looking forward for your BBB day photos!  :salute: 

• Like 2

Hello and welcome.

There’s nothing wrong aiming high on your first try. In fact, it might save you time and money in the long run rather than keep altering your set of armor.

The key is to take it slow if you are new to this hobby. Do your research (we have many wonderful build threads and references here on the forum), measure twice and cut once as they always say.

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by giskard8

Hello Shayan, welcome to FISD:salud:

As Mario said, the best way is to see a lot of videos and read a lot of posts...

You can also ask for help from members of your Garrison who will be happy to help you with your armor (although with the covid, this may be more complicated).:(

And you can also open your own WIP, where we can help you on your way to Centurion level !!!   ESB WIP THREADS.

Remember that you can contact the entire DO Team whenever you want @Deployment Officer Team...We never sleep (sometimes we close our eyes, but we are listening!!!:laugh1:).

Good luck!!!:duim:

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

After a long time, today is finally the day the big brown box arrived! 

So far so good. The blaster was unfortunately forgotten by RS, but I'm sure that can be fixed. 

As for the armor, I'm making my first steps at trimming, since I haven't done so in a few years. I started off by doing the knee plate and the Thermal detonators and I'm pretty happy with the result. I'll be taking some pics within the next few days. 

Now, here's where my big worry for the kit settles in: The thighs are super uncomfortable, as I had feared. However, I have not trimmed them at all. Is return edge on the top of the thigh armor required? I'm pretty confident that I would fit no problem if I got rid of the return edge or at least the majority of it. Shins seem to be fitting quite nicely, so not worried there at all :D 

hace 4 minutos, Detaleader dijo:

After a long time, today is finally the day the big brown box arrived! 

So far so good. The blaster was unfortunately forgotten by RS, but I'm sure that can be fixed. 

As for the armor, I'm making my first steps at trimming, since I haven't done so in a few years. I started off by doing the knee plate and the Thermal detonators and I'm pretty happy with the result. I'll be taking some pics within the next few days. 

Now, here's where my big worry for the kit settles in: The thighs are super uncomfortable, as I had feared. However, I have not trimmed them at all. Is return edge on the top of the thigh armor required? I'm pretty confident that I would fit no problem if I got rid of the return edge or at least the majority of it. Shins seem to be fitting quite nicely, so not worried there at all :D 

I'm sure this thread will be very useful to you;)

1 hour ago, Chemi said:

I'm sure this thread will be very useful to you;)

Oh wow, that thread really is pretty much everything I had hoped for in one go! I've been browsing tutorial threads for a while now, but this one really is the most concise on the topic. Awesome! 

Yup yup, Joseph's return edge thread is a FANTASTIC resource! Heck, I loved it so much I created a PDF of it, noted on the resource compilation thread that Mario linked to. Haha. Looking forward to following along on your ESB build!

Hi Shayan, and welcome to the forums!  I'm a little late joining the party here, but I can help with a few of your queries:

ESB TKs generally seem wonkier than the ANH ones, especially when looking at the biceps and shoulders. Is approval with these things more relaxed than say ANH troopers? 

Not really.  The armor from ANH was re-used for ESB, and although I agree that many parts looked a bit "off", I mark this down to the set costumers.  Although some Detachments like the MEPD insist for higher levels that a particular character be copied down to the minute detail, for Expert Infantry and Centurion here at the FISD we look for "ideal" trooper... think along the lines of 'fresh out of training and ready for inspection by Lord Vader'.

In many shots of ESB, the rear part of the shoulder straps seem to be glued down or even riveted(!) in place. The CRL requires the straps to be free float and held with a fabric band, but looking at the film, I see no visible fabric bands and only sometimes free floating shoulders.

Unfortunately close-up screen shots for ESB are rare, making it difficult to see small details like this.  Did they use rivets or glue the straps down on some shoulder straps?  Possibly in a few cases:

5q61HUS.jpg?1   clJJfnX.jpg?1  

But, for consistency among the ranks we insist for higher levels that the CRLs be followed.

There is also some of the troopers with their shoulder bells sitting super high up, as if padded ROTJ style. When submitting for approval, can these requirements from the CRL be "overturned", as long as matching evidence is provided? 

When it comes to inconsistencies, there were a LOT on all of the OT films.  Missing armor pieces, wonky biceps, missing tube stripes, well the list is endless, but we have to have standards.  The CRLs  are based on what was seen on the majority of the costumes used onscreen, not just a few or the one-off, and these are what we go by.  They are not set in stone and are ever-evolving when new evidence comes to light, but unless strong proof (screen captures) is put forth they are followed pretty much to the letter.

In saying that, we do allow certain amount of leeway for individual circumstances.  Not all troopers here are the exact same height/weight.  Some need shims to extend certain areas, some need to cut pieces down to fit correctly.  I have seen troopers that are 5 foot 3 as well as those that are well over 300 lbs. end up with spectacular looking armor.  No matter what issues anyone may have, as long as they are willing to put the extra effort (if needed) in we are here to help every step of the way to make sure the costume can pass at every level!

The thighs are super uncomfortable, as I had feared. However, I have not trimmed them at all. Is return edge on the top of the thigh armor required? I'm pretty confident that I would fit no problem if I got rid of the return edge or at least the majority of it.

As you may have already read in my thread, I am not a fan of return edges, lol, (especially on the thigh tops) so I would get rid of them completely.

Looking forward to watching your progress, and if I can offer some advice it would be:

Ask questions.  Lots of them.

When in doubt, always ask before cutting or gluing, and be sure to add photos (as many as you like) of the area in question.  A picture really is worth a thousand words, and this will help us when it comes to offering advice. 

Best of luck on your white armor journey!!   :salute:

• Like 2