Preventing Ab and kidney overlap

Hi folks,
I’ve just been approved at basic level but I’m just making some adjustments to my RS commission build.

Because I’m on the slimmer side, I get the ab and kidney plate overlapping, which I understand is something to avoid. I had a suggestion to add foam to the ab plate to pad it out at little and this helps but I’m finding I’m not getting an even seam on the right side, it’s wider at the bottom than the top. I’ve adjusted the belt in terms of tightness but struggling to find a happy medium.

a1c816724c7dc6192ab9903b11a9daab.jpg

So in terms of questions:
1. Am overthinking this? I’ve not gone for an idealistic build so am I expecting it to be symmetrical when it shouldn’t be?

2. If this can/should be avoided, what adjustments can be suggested?

Thanks all,
Tim

Sent from The Empire

Are you able to take a pic of the other side, and the strapping inside. Also a pic without the belt on at all. I'm very new to all this, but those pics may help the more experienced guys come up with ideas to help.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Mr T. Really pleased with the armour. Being on the shorter and slimmer side, it’s just presented a couple of minor issues to sort but no doubt the kind folks on here will lead the way

Sent from The Empire

• Like 1

In my experience you won't find a more helpful bunch!

Only thing I can spot right now is that your belt is sitting pretty low at the front. Ideal position is that the top of the plastic part is just covering the bottom edge of the lowest buttons. I'd be surprised if that in itself is causing your issue, but it's the first thing that jumps out to me.7ca2ade4e7a1435c847752a8b3d20d83.jpg

• Like 1

Here are images without the belt. As you can see, the right hand side is wider at the bottom (because of the the single snapping point) but is not really being remedied by the belt.

Perhaps I’m overthinking this and as mentioned in my initial post, I know the original suits were not perfectly in line just need to check before I lay this to rest.
65ba65c336a777bee99fc2a8bbb85ef0.jpg

da7b774879ba583505fc099159d4647b.jpg

Sent from The Empire

I am quite skinny also and found adding some foam behind the ab plate really helped, especially when tightening the belt, you also don't want the belt too tight, I would add some foam behind the top of your ab plate to hold it forward, you may also need some on the bottom of the ab. Belt is also a little high on your back. 

a1c816724c7dc6192ab9903b11a9daab.jpg   zEWQjCO.jpg?1

Here are images without the belt. As you can see, the right hand side is wider at the bottom (because of the the single snapping point) but is not really being remedied by the belt.

Perhaps I’m overthinking this and as mentioned in my initial post, I know the original suits were not perfectly in line just need to check before I lay this to rest.
65ba65c336a777bee99fc2a8bbb85ef0.jpg

da7b774879ba583505fc099159d4647b.jpg

Sent from The Empire

I think I've got it. You say that your right hand side has only one snapping point. Most suits I've seen (including mine) have a second hidden snapping point towards the bottom. I reckon that if you were to add that then it would solve your problem.

Here's a pic of the inside of my armour, and I'll dig out a 'schematic' showing common strapping asap.661c039a95b21049c88f7db64eb0b922.jpg

This is how something called the practical popper method is usually installed. Your armour may be put together differently, but you could still do this for the extra Strapping on your right hand side.

(Images are as looking at the inside of your armour)
f060fe6130c51f279ea462aad03a0954.jpgefda0990666141e9177b63680953d2ec.jpg

You don't want the snap fixings for the bottom right hand strap to be visible from the outside.

Make up something this...
ce250a32b4b141717cd6a9e3e9e0c503.jpg

Glue this to the inside of your armour using e6000 or similar. Be careful not to get glue on the metal parts, as chemical reactions can cause the metal to heat and may warp your armour. Easy to avoid as long as your careful.

• Like 2

Brill. Are you able to share where you got your materials such as the popper snaps and white canvas material?

Sent from The Empire
The poppers I just got from amazon, and the canvas (actually nylon webbing) was a random Google search. You don't need an exact size for the material part, as long as its fairly strong, and big enough to get a fair amount of glue on.

If you have a store near you that sells items for making clothes (such as Dunelm in the UK) you can likely get both items you need from there.

This is the kind of kit you want for the press studs, as it has the tools you need. You'll also need a hammer and belt punch (some kits a punch is included).

https://www.trimmingshop.co.uk/4-parts-press-studs-button-with-fixing-hand-tool-for-leather-crafts-jackets.html

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-leather-hole-punch/p/0343445
  • Like 1

Hi Tim, congratulations for your approval !!  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:.  

RS is a great set of armor and with some adjustments you can go the extra mile to higher levels of Expert Infantry and centurion.

Adding something else to the great Richard's Advice :

1- Adding the missing strap to the right side will do the deal with the gap  and you could  short the upper strap too.

cJIzn3k.jpg?3

2- You may want to short a little the right side lower strap to reduce the gap.

o4Aas6Y.jpg?1

And finally, rising up your Ab belt will help not only to keep pieces in place but give a more accurate look.

Some references.

oSsuucN.jpg?1    TqNDcWK.jpg?1    tm7wE8T.jpg?1   y15010e.jpg

Good luck and looking forward for your advances.:salute:

• Like 1

Maybe someone here can suggest a foam insert to fill up the suit or wear the belt more loosely. 

I encountered this same problem with the overlap - I realized my waist is actually quite small for my stature. As I did not want to increase my daily calorie intake to fill up the suit, I ended up actually trimming off an inch of ab material to make the suit form fitting and no overlap. I wear my belt to the full tightness, and now that there's no overlap. Unfortunately, I didn't trim it until AFTER mounting the right ab snap; lesson learned.

I'm not necessarily advising this to be done; but be mindful if you do, significant ABS work may need to be done to shift the snap.

Overlap at form fitting tightness

5TtnDJg.jpg

After trim

QONWblu.jpg

Ab snap rework

WQsd8WY.jpg

Edited by fishgoh0nk
picture
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, fishgoh0nk said:

Maybe someone here can suggest a foam insert to fill up the suit or wear the belt more loosely. 

I did :lol:

1 hour ago, gmrhodes13 said:

I am quite skinny also and found adding some foam behind the ab plate really helped, especially when tightening the belt, you also don't want the belt too tight, I would add some foam behind the top of your ab plate to hold it forward, you may also need some on the bottom of the ab. Belt is also a little high on your back. 

• Like 1

I bought this stuff from The Range which I then cut and placed strategically on the ab plate. You just have to play around with where you position so it isn’t seen.

https://www.therange.co.uk/arts-and-crafts/sewing-and-haberdashery/haberdashery/fabric-felt-and-foam/high-density-foam-block/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI8_bl6aHB8QIVZGHmCh2wGwdhEAQYAyABEgKQDPD_BwE#853164

Sent from The Empire

Hi folks,

I’ve ordered my materials for the additional strap which shouldn’t be a problem to add. I’ll post some pictures when done. 

I just have a couple more questions:

1. This is around screen accurate vs idealistic builds. RS build the suits as they did in ANH which has no lower right strap. When pursuing a higher level, how much of the screen accuracy is considered given that it will result in some unsymmetrical results? In my case, the gap on the right side of the body armour. I’m fairly new to this world you see so I’m trying to understand the balance of building the suits as they were but on the other hand, modifying armour to fix issues that are a result of the way they were originally built. 

2. Before ammo belt frays to the point it doesn’t exist anymore, can anyone give me a solution for this. I’ve looked at Prym Fray Check, would this be any good?

Thanks,

Tim

• Like 1

The D.O.s are far better placed to answer generally about screen accurate vs practical, but specifically your lower right hand strap definitely won't be a problem. I recently achieved centurion, and I have that strap. Moreover, without the strap you're more likely to not achieve the higher levels because of struggling to keep the gap closed.

Really glad to hear you're thinking about those higher levels. From what I've seen it should be minimal work, and the sense of achievement everytime you put it on is worth all the effort

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 8:33 AM, TrickyT81 said:

2. Before ammo belt frays to the point it doesn’t exist anymore, can anyone give me a solution for this. I’ve looked at Prym Fray Check, would this be any good?

Theoretically that might work; I just can't believe RWA doesn't hem the edges to prevent this.

If it were me, I'd use the fray check (basically a glue) on the backside and tops of the belt to avoid detection (yellowing or overapplication) as a short-term solution. If that holds great, if not, I personally would ditch the belt eventually and pick up a nice one from @TKittell (Imperial Issue), or hem it myself with a protective fold over the edges, but the latter solution I'm not sure if it would be scrutinized at higher level approvals.

• Like 1

Ultimately I probably will go with a different belt. I've got to build 2 more belts anyway (for ANH/S and ANH/H), so will use different belts there and get an idea what works best.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

My thinking behind RS not hemming the belt is probably down to them being completely loyal to how they were originally made to be fair. They do devote to the screen accuracy, warts and all. They did say when I picked the armour up that the belt would fray but should stop/reduce eventually. This may still be the case as I’ve only had the suit a few weeks.

I’m going to get the fray check and try it in an inconspicuous area to see how it dries/what the results look like.

I’ll let you know how I get on.

Sent from The Empire

• Like 1