RS Propmaster TK Commissioned Armor requesting Feedback

My name is Michael and I am in great anticipation of the RS Propmasters brown box’s showing up at my front Door.  I ordered an RS commissioned ANH helmet and armor and I expect them to arrive in the next few days. I know I cheated and most of the armor is assembled and ready to go. I can’t wait. (that is an understatement) Over the past few weeks I scoured the forums and developed the following list of action items to address with the new armor and helmet.  My goal is to gain EIB approval and then go on for Centurion approval. 

The following are the initial tasks I plan on addressing before submitting for the EIB. With everyone’s experience, please let me know if I am missing anything major?   

Bucket:

• Paint the inside of the helmet with Plastidip (not required for EIB or Centurion however I like the look)

• Trim and position the lenses with SUGRU inside helmet leaving a small gap for ventilation

• Remove original Hovi tips. Drill and replace with new Hovi Mic Tips. (thanks to UKswrath)

• Install iComm & Mic system (also thanks to UKswrath)

• Install Cooling bracket

• Install chatter loop and wiring (again, thanks to UKswrath)

• Install Power supply and 4 fans including wiring

• Install interior padding for comfortable fit

• Install mesh screen over the interior of the frown

• Trim Brow strap (Exterior of bucket)  

Belt:

• Reposition Ammo Boxes to proper location

• Add a dash of glue to Ammo Box strapping to keep from shifting and hold in place

• Trim Ammo belt straps to keep from rubbing on screws (inside of belt)

• Double check the sizing of the cloth belt where it meets the ABS belt section

Thermal Detonator:

• Paint bracket screws black

Shoulder Bells:

• Trim the return edges of the lower section of both bells so they can rest on the bicep smoothly (top and bottom)

• I will consider trimming the upper edges of the bell for comfort

Forearms:

• Trim all the return edges closest to the wrist

Shoulder Strapping:

• Cut two white elastic straps, tie and secure on the shoulder straps for cannon

Thigh tops:

• Trim the return edges on the tops of the thighs

Knee’s:

• Sniper knee – trim the sniper knee for authentic cannon look

• Check the rivet for proper placement on the Ammo knee.  It may need to be corrected and replaced for Cannon look.

Strapping:

• I might want to add strapping and even replace the strapping to areas that might have additional stress.

Blaster:

• Add decals picked up on Etsy for the sights on my Blaster

Please let me know if I missed anything. Once complete, I hope it will be time for pictures and submission for EIB status.

Thanks for any feedback, Michael (future TK)

Hi  Michael, welcome to FISD .  Amazing work.

I would like to recommend you, once your armor has arrived you can make a first fit test to see how you feel on your armor, take some photos and post here to receive some feedback for the first time. 

looking forward for your BBB day photos.  :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

• Like 1

Seems you have covered pretty much everything, RS are normally pretty good, recently they where contacted about adjusting a few details so they meet L2 and L3 standards.

Looking forward to seeing the BBB photos.

• Like 1

BRAVO for wanting to get things in line for EI and then Centurion, Michael!  Ordering a set of RS armor is a fantastic start, no doubt, but as Glen mentioned there may be a few small details that are needed for the higher levels.

Know that you are in the right place for any and all advice and that our goal is to assist you in any way we can to reach higher levels of accuracy.  No question is "too small" and we are here to help you every step of the way!  All you need to do is ask...  we are here for ya'!

• Like 1

RS are usually pretty good to go out of the box for basic (and not much for L3 even), and it seems like you've done solid research into many of the common things that need fixing/improving (kudos!), so you're off to a great start. I always say that RS are accurate to a fault though, and there are several things that can be done to improve them specifically for trooping vs display. Some things to watch for if not mentioned above:

- I'd replace their thin (often wrinkled) acetate helmet lens with a more substantial plastic lens, as well as replacing the starfish with more comfortable padding (airsoft tactical pads work well or motorcycle or hardhat liners)

- I personally use a black truck bedliner spray to black out my helmet and add a tiny bit of extra strength instead of Plastidip, which can peel and velcro/glue doesn't stick well to

- I want to say their suits use the bracket assembly method by defaut, which can be prone to cracking your return edges and difficult to adjust - I'd leave the brackets themselves but switch to a velcro or even snap-based elastic/web strapping system personally

- their Han and posterior snaps often come painted white, which we require to be removed to a natural finish

- I always add some fuzzy velcro or craft foam to a couple key areas to prevent rubbing and damage to my armor - places like the back of the TD clips, the backside of any metal bits on the holster, the backside of the canvas belt attachments, and I add a little craft foam to the backs of my belt drop boxes to keep them from clattering quite as much

You hit on many of the other common ones in your OP, so that's awesome. Even with a commission build, I'm stoked to see your enthusiasm and attention to detail! I hope your kit comes out awesome and of course, keep posting up if you need any help or feedback!

Edited by TheRascalKing
  • Like 1