Velcro for body armor

delcid23456

You can do whatever you want for strapping, since approvals only concern the outer appearance of the armor.

That said, Velcro isn't ideal as unless you get the industrial strength it tends to seperate from the armor, as well as making it harder to dial in your fitment every time you kit up. With snaps you figure it all out once, and unless you gain/lose weight you're good to go every single time. Rivets are only required for the higher approval levels and even then do not have to be functional.

• Like 2

Velcro does make it hard to move and bend as it has no give, also can pull off under pressure, I would advise snaps and elastic to be the way to go.

• Like 1

Perfect advice there, Christian.  Another thing to consider regarding Velcro is that the life of the hook and loop connections will eventually fray and fail to work any longer.  This means replacing them.  The nylon/elastic strapping system costs a bit more and takes more work in the beginning, it will last far a very, very long time.

You can purchase many of the needed items to make them yourself (assorted nylon/elastic strapping, snaps, etc.) on eBay or at a fabric store like Joanne's.  I have 2 threads that may help:

Supply list:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Snap setting:  https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/44617-snap-setting-101/

I’ve got velcro and I’ve got no problems. I also find it easy to adjust if you have issues with mobility. Leave the lengths long so you can have plenty of room for adjustments. Rather then regular snaps just adjust the velcro. Do what you think will be best for you. Velcro fails so do snaps. Nothing is permanent might as well have some play room while your doing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Frank has great advice.   I'm personally a snap guy and this way it goes on the exact same way every time.  OTOH, one of my garrison mates is all Velcro and no snaps at all.  Works for him. The beauty is that you can try it both ways and do what you feel is best.  Even with snaps I usually make the straps a little long and then troop, then shrink using a safety pin, troop, repeat.  Once I troop a few times without any adjustment - e.g. I know I have it dialed in - then I make fresh straps to the perfect length I need. 

I always go by the rule that velcro is not structural, nor easily repeatable.

On shin closures, sure.  Chest to back connect, yes. But I glued it in place so nothing moves.  Snaps lock things in to the same place every time.  I can put my tk on in the dark and know its in the right position, and snaps are easier for handlers to help with.

Nothing on the inside counts though.  If velcro is your thing, go for it.