BigCara's ANH TK AP Build

BigCara

Paint dried, pretty happy with outcome, just 1 corner to touch up after assembly.

0025ba6f9f48761e97342fb06ce956f9.jpg

So assembly next then detail or paint details before assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow! That looks great Mark!

Do you mean the outside details? I don’t think it matters whether you assemble or paint first

• Like 1

Overall a really nice job on this, Mark!!  The only thing that jumped out at me was the difference in the height of the ears in relation to the brow.  The right one overlaps it a bit at the top, while the left one sits farther down.  Not the biggest of deals by any means (and Heaven knows the originals had their own peccadilloes) but something to consider.  I doubt many will notice (except for those with OCD like me, lol).

SCN9jOw.jpg   slqDuij.jpg 

Aq9onSO.jpg

If you do feel up to the challenge of adjusting them, you could also center the tops a bit and bring the bottom(s) back if you have the room without exposing the join.  In an ideal world, the screws should line up with the angle of the trap above them and the center of the top of the ear should be right below that.

EmcNUYp.jpg?1  ywGgtK7.jpg?1

Again, not a huge deal, as many of the originals were far from perfect but just food for thought.  Keep up the great work!!:salute:

• Like 4

Overall a really nice job on this, Mark!!  The only thing that jumped out at me was the difference in the height of the ears in relation to the brow.  The right one overlaps it a bit at the top, while the left one sits farther down.  Not the biggest of deals by any means (and Heaven knows the originals had their own peccadilloes) but something to consider.  I doubt many will notice (except for those with OCD like me, lol).

SCN9jOw.jpg&key=2a6e000498afae667a1e90bbd661e0c030ead1b7cd11dc27606428bf99c17470   slqDuij.jpg&key=f55d953108516acdf37de71372fbf4b1eff771712f18b39343fd0851576633dd 

Aq9onSO.jpg&key=1fcabfdcca74f8372912d124d60704ef56cf1bbfa07b4726a3350a22f73acf0e

If you do feel up to the challenge of adjusting them, you could also center the tops a bit and bring the bottom(s) back if you have the room without exposing the join.  In an ideal world, the screws should line up with the angle of the trap above them and the center of the top of the ear should be right below that.

EmcNUYp.jpg?1&key=043a68809925b3c4dce4ea7ace0fbcda915a7912dfcfd995dfe5ccd38e25a1fb  ywGgtK7.jpg?1&key=af7d6abd98b8a9b6d0f51b77c179f916b740a66ccd9b7eca9f93cfd968e4eab5

Again, not a huge deal, as many of the originals were far from perfect but just food for thought.  Keep up the great work!!default_salute.gif

Thanks for the info, my OCD had picked up that detail and the angled alignment of the screws. Is it something that would stop me from achieving centurion?

Don’t like drilling holes in stuff if I don’t really need too, though the perfectionist in me might convince me otherwise.

Edit: I’ve since had a look at a number of AP submissions for centurion, and they all seem to have the right side higher than the left and screws that don’t line up diagonally to the trap. Anyone with AP able to confirm? May still have a play trying to fix up.

You are correct on those AP submissions, and as mentioned it's not the biggest of deals so it shouldn't affect Centurion status as it is just the way they are made.  I can't say I blame you for not wanting to drill extra holes as it can weaken the area if they are too close together, but if you do decide to do it I would suggest gluing on a small ABS patch inside to strengthen the area before drilling.

You may also want to countersink the bottom ear screw(s) a tiny bit more.  It will help the S trim fit tighter in that area.  Again, just my OCD kicking in, lol.

4xIbq5A.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BigCara said:

Edit: I’ve since had a look at a number of AP submissions for centurion, and they all seem to have the right side higher than the left and screws that don’t line up diagonally to the trap. Anyone with AP able to confirm? May still have a play trying to fix up.

You are absolutely correct with the left ear angle on the AP, it will not follow the line/angle of the trap, but the right ear does. (left and right as you are looking at the helmet)

I managed to get the height almost identical on mine and the 2 other AP kits I have built, but in saying that I had aligned them early on in the construction.

If you are not 100% confident that you can get the holes right, it is not worth risking the potential damage on something that is not CRL enforced.

I agree with Joseph that you can counter sink the lower screw more as it does appear to protrude quite a bit.

Great work on the build Mark.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback, pulled bucket apart and drilled more holes earlier today, without reinforcing (woops).

I can get the angles right but I have created a new issue with the ear gap particularly on the left now being pretty big 4-5mm and showing the join below.

I’ve tried to drill the lower screw to try and reduce the gap, but I don’t have much space there. a1cf7d784a42cbbe7c65e219661c02c6.jpg

caa428bf4e2ec2f57b237711b99e5ebe.jpg

63cfba7206b88ee80c4c3502ad708d1f.jpg

45fd4b531cb55c38fb97db6749a9be69.jpg

2d53105329c817feadbc895b107eddef.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Alay said:

The original helmets had gaps you could drive a truck through, you're probably fine with those as is :)

Sarah is spot-on about those gaps, so you are golden.  I gotta' say you did a spectacular job with the ear placement revision and counter-sinking the bottom screws, Mark.  WOW!  Many would have just let it go, but you really went above and beyond, sir, and for that I salute you.  :salute:

XmSZrgh.jpg   RyHdyNZ.jpg

I can see no problems with this when you apply for EI and then Centurion.... GREAT job!

Keep those photos and questions coming...  can't wait to see whats up next!   :popcorn:

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice, my ocd wouldn’t let me leave it that way. There were a few choice swear words said while I was realigning.

Just have to now learn to love the gap.

9 minutes ago, BigCara said:

Thanks for the advice, my ocd wouldn’t let me leave it that way. Just have to now learn to love the gap emoji3.png

Like these Troopers did:

IXSgo4b.jpg  z2UchwE.jpg

AujIgBD.jpg

• Like 1

Many of the movie stunt helmets left ear sits lower creating same gap on top near rubber trim, this is mainly because of the assymetries of the molds, the right and left ear are completely different in shape so is the helmet. Check www.starwarshelmets.com  you can see many stunt helmets with gap in the same exact spot ;)

Edited by ABS80
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'd take of the front tube stripes.

You should be ok for basic approval but I would clean off the little paint which is on the gums CRL: Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area

ANHSTUNTfrown2

I'd take of the front tube stripes.

You should be ok for basic approval but I would clean off the little paint which is on the gums CRL: Frown is painted gray and does not leave the teeth area

gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

Thanks, so lose both?

Going for centurion so will be busting out the toothpick to tidy up.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Just also notice you may have a couple of bubbles under the bottom of you decal, try to push the air out or even a needle a very impolite person may help

87968f557950e20d8887e37fc574f63c.jpg

• Like 1

Fixed frown let me know if it will be good for centurion
9684c4f9870cce087c12a1856374b0a1.jpg

Tried to model voicecoder on CRL photo, still needs finishing touch, shape ok?
3c958aa51d0f8e3c4a148ec11a9af7aa.jpg
9ef475dcbdb4f50a9336fa5aace16a41.jpg

Given I’ve got a big noggin, how much can I trim from the bucket?
b0b14897a091bdf05fd791080860633d.jpg

• Like 1