March 2018 Request for CRL Updates thread

OK, I'm trying to centralize CRL change requests, as I'm aiming to update some items this month.  There have been a lot so I'm sure I'm missing some.  This will be the one place to suggest and discuss CRL changes that I'll process in March.  After that the goal is to leave them alone for a bit.

April's thread is here: 

OT TKs

[Done] Addressed ambiguity of overlap method of limb construction.  Overlap is now OK if the suit comes with the cover strip molded to the armor.

[Done] Clarified correct crews for L2/L3
[Done] Clarified screw definition on thermal detonator for L2/L3
[Done] Added "v1" for the note of AM is no longer allowed on some parts, as AMv2 is OK
[Done] Clarified thigh rivets for L3 to be single cap/rapid rivets

[Done] Minimal gap now required between shoulder bells and shoulder strap at L3

[Done] Rubies blaster conversions not allowed at L3

ANH (Both)

[Done] Clarified L3 space pack requirements to L2 (as only one person makes the packs)

[Done] Shoulder strap back tabs no longer required

ANH Hero

[Done] Add promo holster for ANH Hero 

ESB

[Done] Shoulder strap back tabs no longer required

Rogue One

[Done] Fixed back plate description to be correct for L1

[Done] Added frown mesh as a requirement for L1

[Done] Indicated that helmet tube stripes can be backed by blue mesh for L1

[Done] Velcro for forearms, biceps, and thighs required for L3

[Done] Update baton CRL to have a better description

Legacy Era

* Boots - make it simpler for L1 approval

Reference threads

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox/1620e3ab3d82bfeb?projector=1

• Like 1

May want to move first thread to where non-attachés/staff can see it?

There is also the other CRL change thread I started that has some stuff as well:

https://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/43470-tk-crl-changes/

Doh!  We need to combine them.  No need to have it in detachment only - open boards (here) are best so there are no surprises.  Will get to it tonight unless another staff beats me to it.

Ok so one of the big things for me is to clean up the areas that specifically name AM armor and the fact that the chest and back plate needs to be replaced. I think that since AM has updated their molds that we should take AM out of the CRL and we should put in that the Chest/Back “Must be of movie accurate shape and size.”

I will move the thread now to the Hard Amor section. And in order to keep with the goal of centralizing the information, the old posts will be locked. 

Would it be possible to add images of the correct style of screws in the CRL?  Not everyone is familiar with what a pan-head or V head screw looks like, or the difference between slotted and phillips head.  This may avoid any confusion.  Same with the single cap rivets.  The clearer we make things the better.

Pan head slotted screw                           Slotted flat head                                 Single cap rivets

-------                                                           ----------------                9lHWZzi.gif

On 2/27/2018 at 10:23 AM, starsaber25 said:

Ok so one of the big things for me is to clean up the areas that specifically name AM armor and the fact that the chest and back plate needs to be replaced. I think that since AM has updated their molds that we should take AM out of the CRL and we should put in that the Chest/Back “Must be of movie accurate shape and size.”

I agree on this one.  AM no longer supplies the V1 chest and back, so this would would avoid any "What version do I have?" questions.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020
  • Like 1

As discussed on the R1TK CRL thread unless it can be proven otherwise it's possible the helmet tube vents were hollow like FOTK helmet but with blue tape or other colored material as a back drop. The FOTK had the same hallow design. Thoughts?

Also, some including myself don't believe the Ab/Kidney have side gaps at all, but the Ab/kidney is a one piece section with a rear cover plate. The black semi vertical lines are nothing but black molded sections also seen on the ST. Here's what the CRL looks like updated

Abdomen Armor
For 501st approval:

• The abdomen armor has a button area that matches the color pattern shown (2 blue + 6 gray); buttons are approximately 7/16" (11mm) in diameter.
  • Left control button area is a raised box with four buttons, the bottom being blue and the rest grey. The buttons are recessed.
  • The back edge of the abdomen plate has a semi vertical seam approximately 70 degrees in design.
  • The Ab and Kidney section is a one piece design with a vertical gap at the kidney separating it into two sections. No side Ab to Kidney gaps are allowed.
  • Any side shims added are to be added to the white areas of the armor. 

For level two certification (if applicable):

• The cod armor is separate from the ab plate.

For level three certification (if applicable):

• The abdomen plate detail has two horizontal bevel details cut-out along the top.
  • Button details are recessed and bordered with a thin edge.
  • The right front raised area is rectangular with correct raised detail, unlike ANH.

Also updated

Kidney Armor
For 501st approval:

·         The kidney armor is separated in the back and covered by a rectangular plate. 

·         The rectangular plate is separate from the posterior armor.

For level two certification (if applicable):

For level three certification (if applicable):

Is it possible that the gun holster for R1TK could be implemented as an optional accesory? The ANH Stunt and ANH Hero have optional items that aren't found in the movies at all, but are in other stories that are in the same era. R1TK and ANHTK are in the same era, and 1 has a holster.

The same goes for Pauldrons. The Pauldrons appear all over but aren't seen in the movies outside of sandtroopers. It's pretty clear it's canon now, so I feel we should implement it. 

Just my $0.02.

We can certainly make holsters optional - I want to re-watch the film to see if it's a minor case or common.  For the pauldrons, they are only on sandy's in the film, so would not be part of the CRL for a clean TK.

• Like 1

We can note, if we haven't, that there is mesh under the frown of the R1 TK, also that there can be material

More ideas I'm pulling from a FB group, all courtesy of Darren Vaughan's finds.

-----------------

Better pix of the skinny cod

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10155378125630496&set=gm.195850294350055&type=3&ifg=1

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

Lol most of this info I thought was known already like the flash light mount, don't some of the troopers have flash lights like the Shoretrooper?

As for the hand plate indent we also knew that TFA, but thought it wasn't any more important than the recessed areas on the forearm front box. 

A screw or a dark colored cap rivet has also been suspected. Even to this day I don't believe anyone knows exactly what it is. If we know for certain it's a screw which type is it?

4 minutes ago, ukswrath said:

Lol most of this info I thought was known already like the flash light mount, don't some of the troopers have flash lights like the Shoretrooper?

As for the hand plate indent we also knew that TFA, but thought it wasn't any more important than the recessed areas on the forearm front box. 

A screw or a dark colored cap rivet has also been suspected. Even to this day I don't believe anyone knows exactly what it is. If we know for certain it's a screw which type is it?

Yup, some were known or suspect, but at least for me the blaster detail was not.  I'm trying to get all of it in once place, at least for consideration.  For the TLJ at least, it's been harder to get a gallery of close-up shots.  Figured now was as good a time as any to evaluate changes since I'll be doing a mass amount of OTTK CRL updates soon...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Daetrin said:

Yup, some were known or suspect, but at least for me the blaster detail was not.  I'm trying to get all of it in once place, at least for consideration.  For the TLJ at least, it's been harder to get a gallery of close-up shots.  Figured now was as good a time as any to evaluate changes since I'll be doing a mass amount of OTTK CRL updates soon...

Copy

As mentioned on the FB page I personally think it's a rivet on the forearm but until we have a clearer photo it's a guess. Here's a photo of the TFA hand guard. 

hand guard front.JPG

Also regarding the Ab, I seen some close up photos where the ab boxes are clearly separate from the Ab armor. Should we include that in L3? 

You know, as part of Alpha 75, there is a bit of scabbing around those boxes.  They were one of the hardest parts of that build, and we were told so much how they had to be seamless and perfect.  Sigh.

Is it 100% separated, or just some suits?  I can see allowing both at L1 and then it's moot at L3.  I mean, it's easier not to fill in those gaps, eh?

Some TLJ detail photos:

Boxes separate on ab

3xVmfFb.png

Could add binders as an option, second lip under chest plate very distinctive

VV7W6Uu.png

9OaJB3R.png

4s2GDHW.png

amrzqpz.png

Rear of spats on right appears stepped.

rjlkiGY.png

Hunchback troopers, it hurts my eyes.

HFKt6TK.png

More cods

U84TaNu.png

Flash light mount

xQnr4NU.png

Can just make out flash light mount on these two also so it seems a common addition, not for Phasma though. Looks like it's update time again for me :D

SaqWbeE.png

Baton lights and details

P1blZe1.png

Forearm closure

1fWPU88.png

Thigh and arm overlaps and another nice cod photo with it folding under.

4KkgFBN.png

Lights run up handles when charging laser ax's

9UqoqST.png

Gaskets still appear to be rubber

WrMOOCv.png

Does this mean we can add weathering ;)

aNZ43KS.png

More wreathing and blaster torch rail. Also forearm box lifted at front. (deleted scene)

uGHdBOh.png

Nice side shot of teeth, also right forearm box barely attached, aluminium rail on blaster mount.

4SPKZwz.png

Another side of helmet, also side of cod with fold under.

74zLDPC.png

• Like 2

For weathering, my push has been to allow light weathering as an option on the TFA for sure, and now also the TLJ (likely).  The previous LMO (Eric/Darth Aloha) was adamant in now allowing weathering for TFA, even though they are in numerous scenes of the film.  I'll for sure bring it up with the new LMO and see if he is open to that change.

• Like 1

FYI, the LMO has approved adding weathering for the following CRLs

1. TFA

2. ROTJ

Do we need to add it as well to the TLJ? I'll try to re-watch the movie this weekend to see how prominent they may be.