CableGuy's DoopyDoos (feat. T-Jay kit) ANH E-11 WIP

CableGuy

Nice work Dan! I agree with Chris, the Humbrol paint is adhering nicely. You can see more reflective points and shadowy points now with this recent paint application. A rich color is coming out :jc_doublethumbup:

Thanks, Jesse. Yes, I’m really pleased with the Humbrol paint. Seems very nice to work with.
Due to the quantity used so far, I’ve ordered additional cans of Matt black and silver metallic. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Evening all,

With my paint arriving on time, I was able to continue this evening.

Continued priming some parts, including the grip, inner bolt, trigger, cocking handle and other little bits. Then masked off the tracks and applied a coat of Metallic Silver to the main body.

8bc8b3800bf67f3689108461c1542254.jpg

Then the fun (slightly daunting) part - hammer paint. I’ve applied a moderate coat and left it as it lands. I’m quite pleased with the result; however, from what I’ve seen in other threads, the appearance improves further when the paint has dried.

3d8971dee027e8e205badcbf4542e701.jpg

5e0dce871dd554eeb618bb6e4e317989.jpg

I also added an extra, light coat of brass to my scope and will add the top coat of Matt Black tomorrow.

At this rate, I think we should be complete by the weekend. :-)

Thanks for reading. :-)

• Like 4

I love it when a build comes to this stage. The paint totally changes everything :duim:

On the other hand, we are getting closer to the end - which is good and sad at the same time :mellow:

Anyway, for the moment you are not done yet and there will surely be a few updates left to come :)

• Like 2

I love it when a build comes to this stage. The paint totally changes everything :duim:

On the other hand, we are getting closer to the end - which is good and sad at the same time :mellow:

Anyway, for the moment you are not done yet and there will surely be a few updates left to come

Thanks, Tino. Your tips on the paint have been really helpful. Although I’ve not delved into the paper dabbed effect, I’m still really pleased with the paint so far.

And, don’t worry, I’m not finished just yet. ;-)

Hi everyone,

Time for another little update, following another evening of spraying.

The main body now has a nice coat of black hammer paint.

177958af1f6e5043ad1a9775ea7093f2.jpg

The folding stock already had a coat of hammer paint. Following other examples, I then laid a coat of Matt Black over the top of this. As it happens, I think I applied the Matt black too thick, which took away the texture of the hammer paint and looked dull and flat.
When the Matt Black was touch dry, I added a very light coat of hammer over the top and, to me, it looks really nice. (I’ll take another look once it’s fully dried).

0440d025fa65bbd4b74672e88dc7a426.jpg

Other bits included some metallic silver for the grip (partial) and smaller parts, Brass for the front end of the counter, and a coat of Matt black on the power cylinders. I chose not to add the metallic silver to the cylinders due to the difficulty of masking the wires on the back. As such, I’ll dry brush or similar for this part to achieve weathering.

17755483f84bccb7fdf370e724a2ea22.jpg

cfdb0439833640c3928aedb23e73be06.jpg

Not pictured are the magazine, trigger guard, trigger and a few other bits.

Thank you kindly. :-)

Hi all,

Been away this weekend so very minimal progress I’m afraid.

My grip is now wearing a fetching coat of gloss black.

"IMAGES REMOVED BY CABLEGUY due to attachment isue"

The front of the grip has not taken perfectly, however I believe further coats should fill the little dips.

Next up, time for a Matt black coat for the barrel and t-tracks. Off with the t-track masking and here we go.

In combination with a couple of other parts, it’s really taking shape.

Hengstler counter is also coming on, however I’m out of Matt black paint again. Just for anyone keeping count, thats 2 x 150ml cans used so far.

Very nearly “trooper time”! :-)

• Like 2

For reference I used something like nearly 2 of the large cans of the Halfords matt but that was outside so I am sure a lot was wasted to the wind.

Great stuff. Cheers, Chris. :-)

9 hours ago, CableGuy said:

(...)   The front of the grip has not taken perfectly, however I believe further coats should fill the little dips.   (...)

IMG_4490.thumb.JPG.337db45de6342360e07246154fe777b5.JPG

That is something I examined on almost every DoopyDoo's E-11 grip piece here. In my case additional paint coats did not solve the issue. Maybe an expert for resin can tell us more about this effect...

• Like 1

I had similar problems with painting the doopy counter and grip too. I tried filling them with epoxy watered down enough to fill each one but they are so darn tiny. It sorta works but it takes time to sand it all back down to a smooth finish. The paint spray particles are too thick to sink into the holes so they never get filled in. Sanding the surface until it gets past the tiny holes is another option but found it only uncovered more holes below. Sorry, Wish I had a better solution. 

Blaster is is looking great though. Exciting to see it painted but sad your build is coming closer to the end. Amazing work.

Edited by Bulldog44
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, T-Jay said:

That is something I examined on almost every DoopyDoo's E-11 grip piece here. In my case additional paint coats did not solve the issue. Maybe an expert for resin can tell us more about this effect...

4 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

I had similar problems with painting the doopy counter and grip too. I tried filling them with epoxy watered down enough to fill each one but they are so darn tiny. It sorta works but it takes time to sand it all back down to a smooth finish. The paint spray particles are too thick to sink into the holes so they never get filled in. Sanding the surface until it gets past the tiny holes is another option but found it only uncovered more holes below. Sorry, Wish I had a better solution. 

Thank you, chaps. Good to know it's not just me doing something wrong. 

I've already reduced the appearance of the 'spots' by applying a slightly thicker coat. To get the glossy, reflective finish for my old SDS TK lid, I had to spray gloss white right up to the point where the paint was just about to run, but obviously stop before that point. I applied the same method to the grip last night and will try again this evening. 

4 hours ago, Bulldog44 said:

Blaster is is looking great though. Exciting to see it painted but sad your build is coming closer to the end. Amazing work.

Thank you, Brian. That's very kind. I have the same feeling - incredibly excited to be nearly finished and be able to apply for 501st clearance, but a little sad at the same time that I won't have this to work on. 

However, I really fancy a pipe build next. I might do a bit of a Tino and start a collection, then a weapons locker, etc... :-)

Best wishes, 

Dan :-)

It's air bubbles in the cheap resin they use.  Better materials and or process would fix it but then it wouldn't be a cheap kit anymore.  The fix here would be to filler primer, fill and sand them before the gloss coat.  It's hard work but that's about all you can do.

• Like 1

Well, I’ve had quite a productive evening. Grip is coming on with the gloss. Not all spots have gone but it’s looking better.
And the below pictures say the rest really. Started some light weathering and have quite a few parts fitted.

08cb5fd47a858ee18af1f0d796ff9636.jpg

a8bf3b54c3868310518d6d4f934a8685.jpg

23993c09e3e804a2b1479b131b9a052e.jpg

38c9d5a0bbb60f9cbc91cc0b02f667b7.jpg

db5e215fb0bee4dd10a228330d88aea8.jpg

6b29305024a7124cd7d6d90a8df9384a.jpg

cac951cbd2a469d18a745c9350ab0cf0.jpg

add1cfc9cbf61fb6da8785b8842a0a0e.jpg

Hopefully can add a few more parts tomorrow. Nearly there. :-)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

Coming along nicely Dan. I had to keep myself from drooling haha, great work!

2 hours ago, T-Jay said:

Really looking good, Dan. Cannot wait to see it with all the other parts attached and weathered. :jc_doublethumbup:

Thank you, both. I'm cautiously weathering as I don't want to go TOO far. I want it to look "screen used" rather than one that's gone through the "garbage smashers on the detention level"! lol

Once the grip is attached I can review the main/likely contact points and continue from there. 

Looks like I'll have to learn to dry-brush in a few places, namely the ejection port, a little on the scope and counter as in a couple of very small places my light sanding appears to have reached the primer. This might be due to thinner paint layers in certain areas. Rookie mistake...

I do have a question, though. Seeing how easy is is to weather, trooping is going to take it's toll on the paint. A little is fine, but going through to the primer or resin is going to look awful. Is there a protective clear coat that people use? Or just leave it as it is and be prepared to touch-up any damaged areas?

Thanks in advance. :-)

• Like 1

If sanding or wear and tear goes through all paint layers, I use to repair these spots with dry brush technique. This always worked fine so far and adds a believable look to the blaster as time goes by... Would not worry about that.

EXCITEMENT ALERT!! ;-)

0e42421dd3b95745eeef57d26295554c.jpg

Well, it’s not totally finished, however I fitted the grip tonight. To mask the inner curved parts of the trigger, I decided to try something a little different and used children’s Play-Doh.

3713c21531482dd9ada6a12b078db57a.jpg

Amazingly, it worked well. :-)

Whilst I didn’t take specific pictures of everything, I fitted the grip to the body with screws and E6000.
Trigger fitted and working.
Power cylinders weathered - I used a rag and sprayed metallic silver onto the rag and gently dabbed where required.
Fitted remaining screws.
Attached trigger guard. For this, I used super glue and them filled around the guard with greenstuff. Time will tell how this holds up.

I still have a few bits to do, including hand painting/weathering the ejection port.

And here’s some pictures.

b19f8aa8461372570fe46025f0147066.jpg

5e4bdd0d655f2f2d03f24fc33bd48b14.jpg

b8f10b9e68f46ce9674493d705a2b3d2.jpg

22c1f252a88d19f5e6aeadd901fe2bcd.jpg

91ee1961a42af1161fc9a84dac23739e.jpg

6c05510ca93601d86948d623d5d35461.jpg

f0362f5cc83dd90ed058fa99e074972f.jpg

e64760c52d9d1c8f6f8f077cefd08cfc.jpg

6f816a496e56ca23e45dbe94c6eb5b12.jpg

ed78cc0a430f00a1043f5e52d9d28087.jpg

c940ae6493f4a037b0428d838652a52a.jpg

b325ae7272c94c9b13f9de9cc5ef7fc2.jpg

A few finishing touches and we’ll be done. :-)

• Like 6

Looks sweet! congrats getting that together. Weathering looks just right , not overdone. Your efforts to make your blaster look like the real deal have certainly paid off. Super trooper job! 

• Like 1

Looks sweet! congrats getting that together. Weathering looks just right , not overdone. Your efforts to make your blaster look like the real deal have certainly paid off. Super trooper job! 

Thank you, Brian. You’re very kind - I really appreciate your comments. :-)

This is next level stuff. It’s been amazing watching your progress. I’m building my first E-11 soon but doing a basic trooping one. But after that... I’m going to have to do something like yours for display. Not that I think I’d get close!

• Like 1

Jaw-dropping awesomeness! It looks like cool metal in most parts and the interplay of matt black and gloss black along with conservative amounts of weathering and use of silver has taken your blaster to the next level. Even with a few follow-up touches still needed, VERY impressive Dan. I don't have a trained eye but to me, it looks like the real deal not a resin copy; your attention to detail has truly paid off. I take it, you only have one or two more posts - spoil us with pictures!

• Like 1