CableGuy's DoopyDoos (feat. T-Jay kit) ANH E-11 WIP

CableGuy

Wishing you a good time on your first troop, Dan. And keep your E-11 safe from harm. Our detailed resin blasters are always a bit fragile. Keeping fingers crossed...

• Like 1

On 25/01/2018 at 2:55 AM, Dracotrooper said:

First of many my friend - Happy for you! Do add to the trooper log emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 29/01/2018 at 7:40 PM, T-Jay said:

Wishing you a good time on your first troop, Dan. And keep your E-11 safe from harm. Our detailed resin blasters are always a bit fragile. Keeping fingers crossed...

Thank you, chaps. Really looking forward to it! :-)

Although, I think I might take the rubber blaster for this one - just until I find my feet. :-)

• Like 1

Hey Cableguy, can I ask you about your scope?  I see how you hollowed out the eye piece to insert the monocular part end the end, but what did you end up doing with the front?  Did you drill out the front lens area and leave it open or did you insert a lens in the front, as well?  Also, if you inserted a lens in the front, was it just a glass disc or did you find a way to insert the other end of the monocular too?

Thanks!!

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks to your message, I now have an answer to that question. ;-)

Until tonight, I just had an open front to my scope. Your message spurred me on to finally fit the front lens.

The lens that I’ve used is part of the same monocular as the eyepiece end. I cut the housing away to leave just the lens.
To fit it just now, I used (don’t laugh) a Lego flag pole, Play-Doh and superglue. If I’m honest, it could be a lot nicer than this if more thought went into it.

Here’s some pics. :-)

63080d40ec4fa786c3b37505ad9fa0f5.jpg

Loving the work on your counter, btw. :-)

Dan

• Like 1

Just now, Suspend said:

Hey Dan, thanks for the quick response.  I just happen to have a Lego flagpole, play-doh and superglue.  I'll do the same.  :-)

Mark

Lol - who doesn’t, right?! :laugh1:

I hope Tino is taking notes for his kits. Hehe :P

• Like 1

No worries, Dan. What you did, is just the best and simplest way to install the small lens from the outside of a scope. Everything else is a lot more effort. Posted two photos in Mark's (Suspend) thread to help.

On 2.2.2018 at 8:22 PM, CableGuy said:

(...)   I hope Tino is taking notes for his kits. Hehe :P

Hm, instead of using LEGO, the same can be done with a drinking straw or something similar. But I guess people would wonder about finding such an item in a completion set. Also, I am trying to not add even more items, as it is quite a challenge to always have every single piece (67 in total) available for shipping a set...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, T-Jay said:

No worries, Dan. What you did, is just the best and simplest way to install the small lens from the outside of a scope. Everything else is a lot more effort. Posted two photos in Mark's (Suspend) thread to help.

Hm, instead of using LEGO, the same can be done with a drinking straw or something similar. But I guess people would wonder about finding such an item in a completion set. Also, I am trying to not add even more items, as it is quite a challenge to always have every single piece (67 in total) available for shipping a set...

Hehe - of course, I only jest. :)

Your kit is incredibly comprehensive and doesn’t really need additions. As you say, a straw or many other small, pole like objects would do the trick. However, as you’ve probably guessed, I have easy access to lots of Lego and play-doh! (Thank you, children) Hehe :laugh1:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CableGuy said:

I might be up to something...   But what could it be. ;-)

My guess is you are going to build a blaster stand with parts from a Master Replica Lightsaber stand...

9 hours ago, Dracotrooper said:

Part way through making paw cuffs for that Chewie in your local garrison?

Hehe - hadn’t thought of that. Maybe my next project. ;)

18 minutes ago, T-Jay said:

My guess is you are going to build a blaster stand with parts from a Master Replica Lightsaber stand...

Erm....it’s like you have CCTV in my brain!! 10 points to Tino. :th_AnimatedBravoSmiley:

i have one extra mod planned too. I’ll keep that for next time. :duim:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CableGuy said:

(...)   Erm....it’s like you have CCTV in my brain!!   (...)

Not in your brain, in your house. :laugh1: Feeling stalked now? ;)

Looking forward to your revealing posting...

Edited by T-Jay
  • Like 1

Not in your brain, in your house. :laugh1: Feeling stalked now?

Looking forward to your revealing posting...

Hehe. I always felt like you were watching over my build - turns out, you actually were!! Lol

• 4 weeks later...

Howdi folks,

So, a little package arrived today. Time to make another mod. ;-)

I’ve had a few bits now from UK based Imperial Warfighters. When I saw that a new mag was available, either rubber or resin, I couldn’t resist. It is not an overly expensive piece so I am not disappointed with the slight issues that I’m correcting. Being resin, it is easy to work with.

The size is much better than the Doopy’s and, with a little bit of work, should look much nicer as an overall blaster when finished.

0fba33386f6554770b89ef7e51d3b12a.jpg

The green stuff will undergo a lot of fine tuning once it has dried, including refining the shape of the top cap and its “lip” overlap.

0d309e828d1d1df6cf6c24e8b88be343.jpg

The following shows my holding the new mag behind the mag housing. The housing and the mag will require some re-sizing to get it fitted nicely.

e8df19ddaebb6c6d1352bfe07a14494f.jpg

Also, as a side note, I’ve now made transporting my blaster a lot easier, safely housed in the lid of my battle box.

0350e2486748dd7639940ae3f871e518.jpg

4b91b1fb25cc0c7e3744212320ac569b.jpg

a9ed3185ca2d5ae17445c9fd35b4151b.jpg

More to come. :-)

• Like 1

Nice upgrade piece you got there Dan - Not surprised one bit you got a replacement as the doopydoos magazine clip just doesn't it serve your blaster justice. It's a nice resin replica although in need of some modification, but like you said, comes with the price point  - is it a solid or hollow piece? In case readers are contemplating on fitting electronics...

You've got the best dremel bit to hollow out the magazine well - will you hollow with it attached to the receiver tube? The length of your replacement piece looks much like what Gazmosis offered previously, so by my estimations, think you only have to hollow to the 'shelf' where the release button is.

Nice upgrade piece you got there Dan - Not surprised one bit you got a replacement as the doopydoos magazine clip just doesn't it serve your blaster justice. It's a nice resin replica although in need of some modification, but like you said, comes with the price point  - is it a solid or hollow piece? In case readers are contemplating on fitting electronics...

You've got the best dremel bit to hollow out the magazine well - will you hollow with it attached to the receiver tube? The length of your replacement piece looks much like what Gazmosis offered previously, so by my estimations, think you only have to hollow to the 'shelf' where the release button is.

Hi Jesse,

Many thanks. Yes, it needs work but should be worth it in the end, I hope. Lol

It’s a solid piece rather than hollow. I’ve seen others (Tino I think) drill right the way through to mod the top plate release button. If I’m honest, I’m not going to pursue that mod at this stage. Just a simple replacement for the Doopy’s.

I’ll be working on the well with it attached. I don’t think I’m going to hollow out too much of the mag well, partly for stability/strength of the well, and also to utilise the existing magnets in the well. As such, I will likely do this:

Remove part beyond red line - green line shows where magazine will intersect with the mag well.

4561409a1dcd169aae050f2d6e09ac77.jpg

I’ll have a better look once the weather improves and I can get out to my shed. Currently -4 degrees outside. Whilst the Dremel works in those conditions, I’m not sure that my hands would!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CableGuy said:

... I’ll be working on the well with it attached. I don’t think I’m going to hollow out too much of the mag well, partly for stability/strength of the well, and also to utilise the existing magnets in the well. As such, I will likely do this:  Remove part beyond red line - green line shows where magazine will intersect with the mag well.

4561409a1dcd169aae050f2d6e09ac77.jpg

I’ll have a better look once the weather improves and I can get out to my shed. Currently -4 degrees outside. Whilst the Dremel works in those conditions, I’m not sure that my hands would!!

That's right - we want to see those surgeon hands at the optimal, we know what you can accomplish! Your green line is spot on with the four corners from those components of the magazine clip nearly against the magazine well opening, Good forward thinking on your approach here :duim: so not to make things to complicated and retain what you already have, nice!

Lol. Surgeon hands at the ready!!! :laugh1:

As a trooping blaster, I think this approach will be best for now. I’m not planning to remove the mag at any point, other than in transit.  

Glad and to see my proposed lines look good. I’ve been looking at similar mags for reference but really appreciate your eye over it. 

Hopefully get get some more done over the next few days. :jc_doublethumbup:

• Like 1

A very nice magazine - and a cool way to safely carry your blaster. The longer magazine sticks out deeper into your transport case, meaning the risk to break it off is higher as with the shorter one from DoopyDoo's. But it looks like there is enough room inside your box and if not, you still have the 5 magnets to make a removable magazine.

• Like 2

I have a Gaz mag on my doopy and did pretty much what you plan on doing.

Cut it shorter minimise how much needed to be ground out.  I also trimmed the release latch bit on the mag to where it butted up against the body.  Then I did the bare minimum of grinding to get it to fit in to keep the strength.  Been fine so far

Shame it needed fixing.  I keep thinking I should buy and make a mold my self but I don't really have the time at the moment.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Well, the new mag is finished. In a nut shell;

-finished sanding the top
-corrected arrow (“OFF ->”)
-prep for primer
-metallic silver
-hammer black on top/end plate only
-Matt black top coat
-cut down mag
-shaved off some of mag to avoid modifying the mag well (allowing me to switch between mags, should I need to).
-added magnets
-weathered

8230050f72031d6fba7669733062662b.jpg

6baf264ca8952bf9684b28d8c193e467.jpg

20585c9bc7c846943759a94be1d12de8.jpg

1228d8d6e49b7f59a1da138af28c5535.jpg

36ad8107c0865fb6b505e0a7a3e6679d.jpg

306773c7839e07258bf0b04b1d18d569.jpg

c0af4ae570f78a0d024fedb86d59d9bf.jpg

7e15f82c9eea434b3c7c60238fd34362.jpg

73bb87f0663d9f2ea6c1ed8666a50d24.jpg

c6ead24d0947af8f26c151cfa8df494c.jpg

d2fab1098cac96e02001e243a605acdd.jpg

9e80f389c1cc0864fa47ffdcb8aaff25.jpg

21cc30887631f1bde322c7fdc1efdd0b.jpg

And, for now, that’s all she wrote. I think this blaster is finally finished. :-)

• Like 4