HOW TO REQUEST: Bucket Electronics

hey guys, I'm putting together a grocery list for Radio shack, and wanted to get definitively what I need first for a fan system, second for the mic/speaker system. Right now I have an RT bucket, nothing installed.

From researching the other threads, this is what I came up with for the fans, please feel free to correct or add anything:

5x Enclosed 2xAA Battery holders, 4 for batteries, one for rocker switch

1x rocker switch (voltage?)

Wire (size/type?)

Wire Tubing

Fans:

2x Brushless/Bearing-less 12v CPU fans or Squirrel Cage 12v fans

1x soldering iron

1x solder (special type?)

I'm pretty handy, but have not worked on small electronics, so I'm sure I can do this, just need a little specific help.

After I tackle this, I'll start with the sound system, have to get ready for the Clone Wars troop! :D

Well you guys are busy, I can appreciate that :), so with the help of Ruf:

-----

I figured it out. So the grocery list:

2x 12vdc Brushless Mini Fans - $12.99 each

5x AA Battery Boxes - $1.69 each

1x 15w Soldering Iron - $8.99

1x Rocker Switch - $2.99

8x AA Batteries (I forgot, so I have some remotes with no power :))

45' of 18 Gage Wire - $5.99 (didn't need, the wire attached to the battery boxes was enough)

They didn't have 3/8" wire tubing at Radio Shack, so I picked up two packs of 5' at AutoZone for $2.98

Following the tutorial above, a little bit of velcro, a dremel, a drill, some electrical tape and a quite house, I got the whole thing built and installed in the lid within 4 hours.

Whole project cost me about $65 and was surprisingly easy to do. The toughest part was installing it in the lid with a little style, I gave it a shot so I'll take some photos later.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2020

just did the radio shack run my self for my RT,,went a little different rout though..2 9v..and three fans...gonna work on the voice next..if you beat me to it please post some pics...i just bought the little white preamp speaker box from there and cant seem to get it to work? i dont know if i am using something or doing something wrong? :huh: ...if any body else has had this same issue please let me know ASAP..for i am trying to get ready for CLONE WARS as well...

over

qqz7W4u.jpg

Rjpig6a.jpg

WoOt36g.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

damn thats a neat clean interior!

I do see one problem that could use attention though.

your fans have no air source! im not sure how they feel right now, but with the experience ive had with computer fans, your likely only feeling about 10-15% effectiveness from those fans if that, your also putting undue strain on the motors because you are creating a vacuum behind the fan blades, forcing the fan to fight against that instead of just moving air.

I think you will find that if you can give those fans about 1 inch of clearance behind the blades, your airflow will increase by a significant amount, you will reduce vibration and noise, and get a longer life from your fans.

mounting the fans with a small 1 inch spring will do all of the above.

• 4 weeks later...
DarkHammer said:

just did the radio shack run my self for my RT,,went a little different rout though..2 9v..and three fans...gonna work on the voice next..if you beat me to it please post some pics...i just bought the little white preamp speaker box from there and cant seem to get it to work? i dont know if i am using something or doing something wrong? :huh: ...if any body else has had this same issue please let me know ASAP..for i am trying to get ready for CLONE WARS as well...

over

what padding did you use in here?