Jump to content
Ruthar

Ruthar's First Order Stormtrooper Build

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Anzo said:

You sir are an inspiration! I'm working on a KB kit myself and will be using this for reference going forward.  

Thank you for the kind words, AJ! If you have any questions, feel free to post them right here or send me a message. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will do. I am posting semi-regularly again in my own thread and pose questions from time to time. Please check there as well on occasion when you have time. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Un. Be. Lievable. Very impressive work, I am a novice builder who just finished his first ANH TK build. I aspire to have armour building skills like this! The armour looks absolutely fantastic. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HellyTK1111 said:

Un. Be. Lievable. Very impressive work, I am a novice builder who just finished his first ANH TK build. I aspire to have armour building skills like this! The armour looks absolutely fantastic. 

Wow, thank you very much for the kind words! :) Nothing more to it than a lot of practicing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just bought a KB kit from a Garrison buddy and will be studying this thread carefully. Thanks for taking the time to put so much detail in!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruthar said:

Wow, thank you very much for the kind words! :) Nothing more to it than a lot of practicing!

I just re-built my little brother’s botched TK a couple of weeks ago as well, and at the moment I am waiting for my own First Order Stormtrooper armour in the mail. Are there any important tips that come to mind that you would share with an aspiring costume maker? Anything specific that comes to mind?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, shashachu said:

Just bought a KB kit from a Garrison buddy and will be studying this thread carefully. Thanks for taking the time to put so much detail in!

My pleasure - if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! :)

 

1 hour ago, HellyTK1111 said:

I just re-built my little brother’s botched TK a couple of weeks ago as well, and at the moment I am waiting for my own First Order Stormtrooper armour in the mail. Are there any important tips that come to mind that you would share with an aspiring costume maker? Anything specific that comes to mind?  

The one piece of advice I always give out is that no mistake is beyond repair. Take time, have fun, and be creative! If something doesn't go as planned, don't sweat it - there are always a handful of ways to fix it or make it work. But you probably already know that having recently dealt with a 'botched' TK. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just want to say thanks as I've been referring to your thread for my First Order TIE Pilot build!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, I am so glad you documented your build this well. Its going to greatly help me with my KB props build as well. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Taylor, I may have missed it though I looked through the thread for it, how did you trim the belt boxes? KB's boxes insert into each other, so how did you decide how deep to make them? There's no visible mould line, unfortunately. Measurements of depth/photos would be suuuuper appreciated! Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lucnak said:

Hi Taylor, I may have missed it though I looked through the thread for it, how did you trim the belt boxes? KB's boxes insert into each other, so how did you decide how deep to make them? There's no visible mould line, unfortunately. Measurements of depth/photos would be suuuuper appreciated! Thanks.

Hi, Luc!

 

I just looked through my posts again and noticed that this information is missing - sorry about that! Here are the belt box measurements that I went with.

 

The plate that is velcroed to the large pouch is 1/2" thick.

 

39807125185_3aee7c5ef2_k.jpg

Untitled by Taylor Goodson, on Flickr

 

The three-piece box has a base of 1" thick.

 

40702635181_ee1d02fb5b_k.jpg

Untitled by Taylor Goodson, on Flickr

 

The top/faceplate of the three-piece box is 3/8" thick.

 

38892313670_206ef40684_k.jpg

Untitled by Taylor Goodson, on Flickr

 

The smaller, squarer box next to that is 1/2" thick.

 

38892313720_b96734caac_k.jpg

Untitled by Taylor Goodson, on Flickr

 

The front boxes are 1" thick (on the ends, thinner in the middle thanks to the curved backs) in total width including front and back pieces.

 

40702634951_657371df5c_k.jpg

Untitled by Taylor Goodson, on Flickr

 

Finally, the two front/faceplates of the middle two boxes are 1/2".

 

40659778632_ae61fdda6f_k.jpg

Untitled by Taylor Goodson, on Flickr

 

Sorry I didn't clearly outline that during the posts in the build itself. I will link this reply to the main index thread so it's officially in the mix. Hope that helps! :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is super helpful and exactly what I was looking for! You're the best!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, lucnak said:

That is super helpful and exactly what I was looking for! You're the best!

No problem - happy to help!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey, Taylor -- since you were the one to find and advocate it, I figure I'll post here first. I just ran across this on the famous auction site. These seem to be the right ones. I'm strongly tempted to spring for it, even if only the Medium, Large, and maybe XL will work for the FOTK bucket. I'm curious to try some of the other sizes in various other helmets I have around. I'd only need one or two, and I'd be happy to make the rest available for less than the Amazon cost of the similar-but-not-quite version. Thoughts? Still need a second one for your TLJ lid?

 

--Jonah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, Jonah;

 

Those were the liners I originally used on a few of my kits - they are great liners! I actually found the ear caps to be especially useful for getting a firm fit.

 

I don't actually need any right now myself, but if you were to buy the lot I would definitely buy some off of you as I am sure other troopers would! By my math, each liner would come out to $2.85 (total cost divided by 42), but I'd be happy to pay at least $10 per liner which is still significantly less than Amazon.

 

Great find! :)

Edited by Ruthar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruthar said:

By my math, each liner would come out to $2.85 (total cost divided by 42), but I'd be happy to pay at least $10 per liner which is still significantly less than Amazon.

I wasn't going to set a price point until I knew how usable the 2XL or the XS and SM were. But even if I just put up the remaining Mediums and Larges with the cost divvied between them, it'd still only come to about $13 each. So that's my estimated cost range, depending on usefulness of other sizes -- $3-$13. Have you checked out Scorpion's EXO helmet size chart? I'm on the cusp of M and L, depending on how things fit. So I'd post that whenever I put them up and have people check their head size against your experience, mine, and the size chart before ordering. Worst case, some of the small ones might fit Mando helmets or the underscaled Rubies/Target FOTK for really petite people or younger folks... There are possibilities. So I'll go ahead and snag it. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I need a liner for my forthcoming FOTK too. May be time to start a new thread? 

 

PS: Could always sell the rest on RPF if you can’t find enough buyers here, although I’m pretty sure you will.

Edited by Harbinger
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peregrinus said:

Have you checked out Scorpion's EXO helmet size chart? I'm on the cusp of M and L, depending on how things fit. 

I don't think you need to be as concerned as you think - you're going to be stuffing the liner into a helmet, so the shape and fit will not be nearly as accurate as it would going into an actual motorcycle helmet.

 

4 hours ago, Harbinger said:

I need a liner for my forthcoming FOTK too. May be time to start a new thread? 

Yeah, I would definitely prefer that if you guys don't mind just so we can keep the thread on track. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ruthar said:

I don't think you need to be as concerned as you think - you're going to be stuffing the liner into a helmet, so the shape and fit will not be nearly as accurate as it would going into an actual motorcycle helmet.

 

Yeah, I would definitely prefer that if you guys don't mind just so we can keep the thread on track. :)

Was planning to. And thanks for the advice. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Peregrinus said:

Was planning to. And thanks for the advice. :)

Of course - always happy to answer any and all questions! That's what we're all here for, after all. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much information! Thank you for providing such a detailed overview of the process, with pictures too! I'm a costume newbie looking to build a lv3 Captain Phasma for 501st approval as my first ever build, so any highly detailed information about the actual building process is MUCH appreciated. Definitely worthy of a bookmark! :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Cpt. Phasma said:

So much information! Thank you for providing such a detailed overview of the process, with pictures too! I'm a costume newbie looking to build a lv3 Captain Phasma for 501st approval as my first ever build, so any highly detailed information about the actual building process is MUCH appreciated. Definitely worthy of a bookmark! :)

You're very welcome, happy to help! :) That's quite a tall order for your first build, but I hope you have a blast getting it all together!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ruthar said:

You're very welcome, happy to help! :) That's quite a tall order for your first build, but I hope you have a blast getting it all together!

Haha, yeah, you wouldn't be the first one to think it was a rather ambitious decision to go with Phasma as my first build, but to be completely honest with you, I'm not feeling nearly as intimidated by it as I thought I would. At the moment, anyway. Might be a different story once I actually get my BBB full of armor parts, lol. Still, I'm looking forward to it! And I've always got people here and on the Captain Phasma Costumers FB group to help steer me in the right direction :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...