This or SDS

Richard_UK

Which would be the better buy this used FX armour or brand new SDS? Although the seller says this kit is approved at the moment I'm just thinking for occasional fun and for dressing a mannequin to stand next my rubies Vader..<br><br>

<a data-ipb='nomediaparse' href='http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112339559133?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT'>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112339559133?_trksid=p2060353.m2763.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT</a>

I would suggest having a read through the Getting Started section, you will find a list of vetted sellers ;)

I've spent hours reading around the forum, I know exactly who I'd be buying my armour from if I could afford it but I'm on a tight budget. I know SDS is not very popular on here but I wouldn't be buying SDS armour with the intention of trying to join the 501st, incidentally is it five hundred and first, or five o first?

I know SDS is not very popular on here but I wouldn't be buying SDS armour with the intention of trying to join the 501st

It doesn't really matter then, you can purchase some really cheap armor if you don't want to seek 501st approval, some even do a 2 for 1 sale. In saying that we do have an approved member in my squad with SDS.

Ā 

Ā 

incidentally is it five hundred and first, or five o first?

Suppose it depends where you are from, I say 501st, but many say five hundred and first.

Never say never, that was partly why I was considering the FX kit above, with it being approved kit (or so the seller says) the option is always there, after all there's only so times I'd be able to wear it before I run out of excuses and that's when I might get tempted to apply. Thanks for the replies guys.

What's your budget, mate? You'll get a kit, everything you need, clearable to 501st centurion level for maybe a little more than the SDS kit (i've just retired my SDS kit, in favour of a new self-build).<br>

Feel free to PM me and I'll give you more info :)

There's some of the finest makers of stormtrooper armour in the UK. Ā If you have Ā£650 to spend on the kit, based on that eBay, with a bit of time and effort we should be able ot see you kitted up in something great though there a few accessories and bit's you'd need on top.

Ā 

If you have any questions speak to either Mark or myself, we're both UK troopers and know what's about. Ā Not wanting 501st now shouldn't limit you later should you change your mind. Ā Lets get you into something good regardless of intent.

Ā 

I say "the 5 oh 1st" and "500 and 1st Legion" I think. Ā Though I probably use both in both contexts.

• Like 1

Never say never, that was partly why I was considering the FX kit above, with it being approved kit (or so the seller says) the option is always there, after all there's only so times I'd be able to wear it before I run out of excuses and that's when I might get tempted to apply. Thanks for the replies guys.

You'd be surprised to see how many eBay and Amazon sellers say that their kit is "501st approved" or the like when 99.9% of them are not.

Ā 

Unless you are just looking for armor to display, I would go the extra mile and get one that can be approved. Ā You will meet a lot of great people, be a part some awesome events, and get to use your armor for more than a prop or to use at cons. Ā Chris (themaninthesuitcase) will be a GREAT help in your TK journey..

The one above is Ā£650 or best offer, plus eBay is offering 10% off at the moment too, the SDS kit is also on eBay and is at Ā£460 with no bids so far. I imagine either of these could come at around Ā£500 and with the one above coming with the amount of extras it comes with it's going to be hard to beat. Another thing is I don't have the time or the patience to build my own and these are both ready made.

Kit's can be had for that money, but will need building. Ā I'd always recommend building you're own armour. Ā Everyone is different and it's one size fits none so some fitting will always need to be done.

Ā 

It's not really that hard, just take your time, ask questions and work when you can. Ā I built mine in the evenings once the kids where asleep, you don't have to do it all at once and the recommended glue takes a long time to dry anyway so some days you'll only be able to work less than an hour to do a glue up.

• Like 1

The one above is Ā£650 or best offer, plus eBay is offering 10% off at the moment too, the SDS kit is also on eBay and is at Ā£460 with no bids so far. I imagine either of these could come at around Ā£500 and with the one above coming with the amount of extras it comes with it's going to be hard to beat. Another thing is I don't have the time or the patience to build my own and these are both ready made.

Took me 35 (ish) hours to make my first full kit, mate, it was done within a week :)

Ā 

It's entirely up to you what you do with your own money, but i'd definitely urge you to listen to those who have 'been there, done that'.

Ā 

These kits are ready-made. That doesn't mean that they will fit your body shape.

I'm beating the end of my first build, I'd recommend it, I learned a lot about the armor and as said above, you're able to tweak it to your body. Besides the fact that it was a blast

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure what the exact status is of FX with the UKG. It may well no longer clear, I can check if you want.

Ā 

That said I still think you can do better for that money and with some care and patience you'll look great.

• Like 1

Richard do you have Facebook? Check out the Shed of Glittering Delights. Better then both of these options and they are in the UK. I would say it's reasonably affordable too. With that kit it is reasonably screen accurate for a display and if built correctly it can go all the way to Centurion. I also believe Andy sells them fully built as well.