Tube Stripes

I am looking to hand paint the tube stripes for my next build, and have been experimenting with shades of blues available.

Being in the UK I am looking at the Humbrol range, and after much reading and advice sought ;) I have bought four shades to compare, and thought I would post them if anyone else is interested.

I have gone for:

Gloss

14 - French Blue

15 - Midnight Blue

48 - Mediterranean Blue

Satin

221 - Garter Blue

I had to just brush them on quick this evening as had to put the kids to bed, so excuse the rough brush strokes:

xMd5m1j.jpg

W6CjquV.jpg

I only taped the top and bottom on the above, but not sure when it comes to the actual ones if to go for a full stencil or just to do what I did above and take my time with a small brush!!

I have a round piece of plastic which I think is close to an accurate curve to pencil on first at the correct measurements.

Is there any community-wide agreement as to what is really the "correct" shade of blue? Does it differ between ANH and ESB? Elite standards simply say "blue tube stripes" but don't specify a particular shade. Is ESB darker than ANH or vice versa?

It is quite hard to show this exactly, especially on a screen, as I can look at it directly centre on my laptop or a couple inches below centre and the colours do appear quite different.

The colours on my plastic sample do appear a touch darker than supertroopers images, but that said I look at different pictures of the Brian R, and some look like #15 and others look like #14.....a nightmare ha :D

From what I know, the buttons on the ab plate are Mifdnight Blue. The tube stripes have no Humbrol match. But according to you, Paul, 221 is closest -- Mike posted your comments on it here.

I'm grinding through all my many Testors paints to see if there's one there... Mike, after time to reflect, how do you feel about their Ford Engine Light Blue?

--Jonah

Looking at the comparison below, I'd say the #14 is the closest to the original colour. I still don't think they look glossy, but that could be just due to the age of the helmets and paint will break down over the years. I use #14 nowadays, but who is to say there was only one colour used on all the helmets ever made?

Ghost said:

I only taped the top and bottom on the above, but not sure when it comes to the actual ones if to go for a full stencil or just to do what I did above and take my time with a small brush!!

I just hand painted my first helmet using Humbrol #14 for the tube stripes (#5 for the traps, and #21 for the chin and black outlines), and I´m well happy with the way the color turned out.

However, I used a stencil, and the paint bled like crazy...Even though I used the expensive, blue 3M professional painters tape, an took care to rub the stencil down good. Ended up removing most of the paint with white spirit and a sharpie, and then redoing the stripes only masking off the top and bottom.