Getting started on an AP ANH Hero build. Wish me luck.

sparker86

Looking forward to the build, start small and work up from there, research is the key

Got my box of shiny white plastic from AP (pre trimmed) and am ready to start building.  This is my first experiment into costuming and building, so fingers crossed.  Any suggestions on where to start?

Congrats, and welcome!  I'd read some of the sticky build threads to start off, to get a feel for it.  The YouTube series from TK1636 is also excellent, and really demystifies the whole process.

When you get ready to start, you'll want to consider the pros and cons of CA glue vs. E6000.  As a first time builder, I'd recommend E6000, but there are definitely some who feel it's CA glue or nothing.  (Unless you're in a hurry... then there's little option but CA glue).

Are you set for tools and materials?  You may want to read over this thread about build supplies:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/31404-supply-list-for-your-tk-build/

Ukswrath's Anovos build thread (also a sticky) is also an amazing resource, even if it involves another type of armor, since the general construction techniques are the same.

I started on the shins and went all over the place from there. But my advice would be to get the torso of the armor fitted first, before the limbs. It'll help you with getting the overall proportions down. I made the mistake of fitting the thighs first. It looked ok until I got the rest of the armor on and it made my thighs look too skinny. I had to tear them apart and resize them larger than I would've thought before. Which, btw, I could not have done without using E6000! I was so thankful I did.. I highly recommend it.. The link that Kalani posted is golden, as is Ukswrath's build thread. I heavily relied on that during my build. Good luck! I will follow your build!

Welcome and good luck! We will be here to cheer you on! Lot's of great info on this site!

I started by rough trimming everything. If you are trimming using the scoring and snap method, practice on some scraps. It will help you figure out how much pressure you'll need. I used both score and snap and lexan scissors.

Congrats!

• 1 month later...

Start on the arms... biceps/forearms/shoulders. They're probably the easiest to construct and let you get a feel for E6000 and assembling!