Gas prices

ThayNerd

The bitter reality is that the big oil families want to keep us slaves to the oil.

We DO have alternate and clean technology to move our cars, but it's kept hidden by the same people, with the consent of the media.

If only Morgan didn't stop Tesla we would live in a very different present...

Nash equilibrium: you achieve the best results if you do what's best for yourself and for the group, not only for yourself.

It sucks to see that for "group" the visible and invisible men that run the show mean the elite, not the people...

It's simple economics. Supply and demand. The oil is worth what the market is willing to pay. Many would say $800 for white plastic is crazy but all of us here pay it. There is just so much more demand today. The only thing they can do is increase the supply.

You believe that? If scarcity is why fuel prices in the U.S. are as high as they are and climbing as fast as they are... then why has Exxon-Mobile -- the most profitable corporation in the history of corporations -- been turning record-busting profits of over $40 billion (that's billion with a "B") a year (that's profit after operating costs, just to be prefectly clear)? Why are we putting 75,000 barrels of oil a day into a National Strategic Oil Reserve that's ~97% full?

You're right that they'll charge what the market will bear. And they get away with it because we have to get from Point A to Point B, so we just resignedly shrug and say "oh well, guess I'll just have to pay it".

And while we're at it, I just filled my 13-gallon tank today for $55.50 ($4.48/gal.). My '89 Honda Accord LX-i gets between 30 and 34 MPG. When this engine starts to go, I'm planning on replacing it with that of a new Civic Hybrid (same displacement and number of cylinders). Most of my driving is in to the grocery store or ferry terminal four miles away. I take the ferry over to Seattle, and the busses when over there.

--Jonah

You believe that? If scarcity is why fuel prices in the U.S. are as high as they are and climbing as fast as they are... then why has Exxon-Mobile -- the most profitable corporation in the history of corporations -- been turning record-busting profits of over $40 billion (that's billion with a "B") a year (that's profit after operating costs, just to be prefectly clear)? Why are we putting 75,000 barrels of oil a day into a National Strategic Oil Reserve that's ~97% full?

Again the prices in the U.S. are where they are because we are not producing enough. Demand globally is increasing and the supply is not. Would you buy less fuel if it was still 75 cents a gallon? You would still be running your boat, ATV, hot rod, or whatever recreation vehicle just as much as you used to where now you see alot of boats and RVs and everything else sitting in garages and driveways. Yes they are making record profits but it is impacting usage. My local dealer has not sold a truck in months. If you increase supply the oil companies will not have to limit usage by price. Ethanol has alot less oil content. You would think that ethanol would cost alot less. But again production is low and if it were alot cheaper, everyone would be buying it and there would be a shortage. There is enough oil out there for the immediate future. The next 50 to 100 years. That gives us plenty of time to find an alternative. An alternative is out there. Basically I'm saying lets stop hugging trees and drill for some oil. There I said it.

Paid $75 to fill my car today - and that didn't even fill the tank. Credit card machine cut me off at $75. First time this has ever happened to me.

I have been taking public transportation a lot more lately to save my gas for things that actually count, this does not include work. :P

Paid $75 to fill my car today - and that didn't even fill the tank. Credit card machine cut me off at $75. First time this has ever happened to me.

I'm starting a sweet high-paying contract this week to install a thousand fire alarms in some schools around here, and I had to get my sister to spot me the $90 it took to fill my tank so I could get to work for a week!

It's ree-dickaless.

• 4 weeks later...

I recently sold my 25th Anniversary Mustang :(

Over 300 rear wheel horsepower. It only got 15 miles per gallon. Now I drive an S-10 pickup with a 4 cylinder, mucho improvement on the wallet.

I'm thinking about picking up something with a 4 cylinder in it, just haven't figured out what its going to be yet. My girlfriend drives a Zion XA and it gets really good gas mileage.

i had a 06 GTO with a 6.0 LS2 motor that took only premium which got 18 24. needless to say i got rid of it and my ninja is my only mode of transportation. i have a 4 gallon tank @ $3.96 it cost me around $16 to fill up depending on how empty i get. but you can't beat 110 horse to the rear wheel, and 44 miles a gallon

I am keeping the 2000 Silverado because I flip houses and need the truck but I'm looking into something small for the 80 mile commute to the real job everyday. I have looked at the Nissan Versa, Suzuki SX4, and Mazda 3. I love the Mazda but its more money with some more creature comforts. Not sure about the Suzuki. The Nissan is a great car (I've owned 2 already) but its stripped. Can you say crank windows? Any advice would be welcomed.

I have a V8 SUV, use it for work. It is comfortable for my trips and I can pile in large briefcases and boxes. I am averaging $600 per month in fuel costs. I have thought about trading it for something else, but it is the first vehicle I have had in a long time which does not have any engine or electrical problems. It is five years old. I do baby it with regular oil changes, tire rotations and fuel injector cleanings. Right now, it's a keeper.

I rented a ford focus this week and was getting 41 MPG driving through the mountains from Los Vegas, Nevada to Kanab, Utah. Gas was 4.24/gallon. Here in Indiana it is 3.94 in Indianapolis .....to 4.09 in Terre Haute today. I get about 25/MPG in my Mazda 929, 22/MPG in my Jeep Wrangler and 50+MPG on my Handa CBR600 (motorcycle).

• 3 months later...