Helmet padding options

Hello everyone. I was looking around and I noticed folks using actual padding or a hard hat rig inside their buckets. I also noticed what looks like line-x in some. I like this idea bc I'm currently rocking the star shaped foam on the inside of my bucket and want to change it out. I was thinking of maybe using football helmet padding (played in high school and I'm used to it) or something like that. Anything other than this star foam! PICTURES of the inside of your bucket would be a HUGE help. Just to give me ideas? Thanks in advance everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can either install a hard hat liner from Home Depot $9 or similar, or tactical helmet padding seen on Amazon for $20 or something similar

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I'm going to second or third or whatever these guys are saying about the tactical helmet padding from Amazon.  I ordered some , it looks and feels great. Very easy to install 5 min.

you can't go wrong there.

I use a piece of 1/2 inch foam in the top and a block of foam on either side of my head, works well and doesn't bobble, it's a cheap option and if you attach with Velcro you can take out and wash

I started with the hard hat liner but after about 30-40 minutes trooping, it would start to irritate my head. So then I tried the tactical padding, but that didn't work as well as I'd hoped - the bucket wouldn't always turn with my head turning if that makes sense. Then I tried some motorcycle helmet cheek pads, and those worked out great. They hug the sides of my head and now when I look left or right, the bucket moves with me.

I still use some tactical padding on the back and forehead and some thinner padding on the top. 

helmet-interior.jpg

• Like 1

I've got the foam star in the top, 10mm fabric covered  foam at the brow, 40mm at the back then 10mm covering the ear screws under a spare set of headphone pads.
Nothing fancy but it works and it's comfortable.

yQ2Gn6H.jpg?1

I use tactical helmet padding pieces and I have them velcroed in so I can move them around and replace them if/when they get grimey.  I think everyone does what works best for them and you will eventually do the same.

I've not trooped in mine yet, but the flexible padding option feels comfortable to me. I played with the positioning to stop lid wobble when looking around, specifically down. I've got the foam star in my other lid but I find I can't see out that well if I move in certain ways as my eyes then don't line up.

6ab47e242f0aca36d8db37781ff46ba4.png

I've also lined my lid with black, self adhesive EVA sheets.

ea7abb1a369b1ef5b1f42a43450039f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've just got my kit today and done my padding but I got some builders knee pads from amazon and cut them into pieces to velcro in. I obviously haven't trooped in it yet but it seems to be doing a pretty good job while I've been testing it around my house and they're currently only stuck in with looped masking tape.

uyBHNpW.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, tarok said:

I'm curious: (over kill aside) has anyone fitted a dial liner for a ACH/MICH tactical helmet to a TK bucket?

Sent from my DH77 using Tapatalk

You mean hard hat liner?

I started out with a more serious padding job but quickly realized that it's unnecessary and decided to lighten it up. Less weight, more air circulation and more room for toys is my current choice.

IMG_3560.JPG

IMG_3558.JPG

IMG_3559.JPG

• Like 2