A question regarding SDS 501st basic approval

So i've made some alterations to my SDS armour, still a couple of things to go.<br><br>
I've:<br>
Changed TD clip from plastic to aluminium clips.<br>
Changed plastic belt for canvas one.<br>
Made holster and affixed on l/h side with two rivets.<br>
Got my Chelsea boots painted.<br><br>
I need to:<br>
Fix the shoulder straps to chest plate.<br><br>
But the question is about the "Fully closed" wording, especially the biceps and forearm.<br>
All limb parts on the SDS armour are velcro-closing. Is this acceptable? Does "Fully closed" just mean that there are no gaps?

EDIT: An ongoing list containing steps required for (UKG) 501st basic approval here:

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/36274-sds-shepperton-design-studios-snagging-list-ukg-501st/

Edited by humperdingle
  • Like 1

Fully closed means no gaps yes. But gluing them fully shut is preferred both from an accuracy aspect, and to keep them strong enough to withstand trooping.

Fully closed means no gaps yes. But gluing them fully shut is preferred both from an accuracy aspect, and to keep them strong enough to withstand trooping.

So I shouldn't need to touch them for basic approval? My long term plans are to save for an RS commission, and probably sell the SDS to help fund the RS, so this is just for initial 501st entry.

Other than the removal of an inch of front thigh strip, hopefully they'll be ok.

It wouldn't hurt to get in touch with your GML to know exactly what they are looking for.<br>

I'm not familiar with SDS armor, nor have I seen any velcro closures on anything but the shins.

Mark, as you are in Scotland , I assume you are going to join the uk garrison . If so, you need to start a build thread on the UKG forum . There the armourers can guide you . You will have to glue all the armour except the shins , as they basically require new armour to be of a very high screen accuracy .

• Like 1

Hi Mark, a picture paints a thousand words, so may I suggest you post up a few so members can get a visual on where you are at, and chime in with appropriate advice. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, so the first pic is something I know that I need to fix - remove the 3/4" or so of cover strip at bottom of thigh.

qfni95m.jpg

This is showing the rear of arm - The bicep and forearm are closed by velcro.

zVc3V1f.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Those velcro gaps are a bit large. If you can glue them and still get your limbs through them, I'd recommend that route.

Thanks, i'm just trying to find out if they are basic-approvable as they are? 

Thanks, i'm just trying to find out if they are basic-approvable as they are? 

That's up to your GML in the UKG to decide. Knowing their take on accuracy I'd say your chances are slim. But they might surprise me too.

That's up to your GML in the UKG to decide. Knowing their take on accuracy I'd say your chances are slim. But they might surprise me too.

OK thanks, i've posted the question on UKG.

All limbs needto be glued except shins, which are optional. I'll shelve any more work on this armour - Way beyond my comfort level to be doing that kind of mod. Thanks for the info.

All limbs needto be glued except shins, which are optional. I'll shelve any more work on this armour - Way beyond my comfort level to be doing that kind of mod. Thanks for the info.

Don't do that. It's an easy mod. Just take it slow and read some of the build threads of other people. It's the same process you'll be doing.

• Like 1

Don't do that. It's an easy mod. Just take it slow and read some of the build threads of other people. It's the same process you'll be doing.

I understand how overwhelming it can seem. I have been there, and I'm pretty sure everyone else has too. I have an old FX kit which I am rebuilding as I did not know what I was doing and just threw it all together. I ripped it all apart and started from scratch. By reading the threads of others my confidence is growing. I don't have much of a skill set as others here, trust me, if I can build, then anyone can! As the big man says, read the build threads, take your time, and buy lots of clamps and magnets!

Think about how much money you have already invested. You can be well on your way in no time with a bit of glue and clamps.

There are loads of people here and all willing to help. Any questions then just ask .

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Hey, thanks. No, I won't be attempting to bring the SDS kit up to 501st basic level. I'll make other tweaks to make it easier to put on / more robust (like elastic and snap internal strapping).<br><br>

All the positive geeing-up (as welcome, as it is) won't encourage me to cut the armour apart.<br><br>

I'll keep the SDS more or less as it is now, and work on saving enough to buy a complete RS commission. Might take a couple of years, though!

Hey, thanks. No, I won't be attempting to bring the SDS kit up to 501st basic level. I'll make other tweaks to make it easier to put on / more robust (like elastic and snap internal strapping).<br><br>

All the positive geeing-up (as welcome, as it is) won't encourage me to cut the armour apart.<br><br>

I'll keep the SDS more or less as it is now, and work on saving enough to buy a complete RS commission. Might take a couple of years, though!

Well you can't go wrong with RS at least. I'll be visiting them tomorrow and make sure things are up to snuff. ;)

Well you can't go wrong with RS at least. I'll be visiting them tomorrow and make sure things are up to snuff. ;)

Nice one. Tell them i'll be along in 24 months or so :D

• Like 1

If you just do some basic things like gluing some of the parts you should be very close for basic approval. As others have said it is up to your garrison's interpretation but if you meet all the requirements for basic approval they should not be denying anyone because they are not perfectly screen accurate. That is what EI and Centurion levels are for.

If you just do some basic things like gluing some of the parts you should be very close for basic approval. As others have said it is up to your garrison's interpretation but if you meet all the requirements for basic approval they should not be denying anyone because they are not perfectly screen accurate. That is what EI and Centurion levels are for.

Kinda what I was hoping, mate, but apparently not. I made changes which were required for basic, like glueing the shoulder straps at front, other bits and pieces, which I felt were 'common sense', anyway.

It's fine. If velcro closures on limbs aren't allowed, they aren't allowed. Not gonna cry about it :D

Basic approval is not up to interpretation at all. If your suit meets the official 501st posted crl they must, shall approve. Not make you do more work on it, not make you have optional items for basic approval, etc.

If your armour as is meets those basic crl requirements and a gml says no, forward that response to the lco and lmo. Some gmls need an attitude adjustment. IE. Nobody needs a blaster for basic tk approval.

Basic approval is not up to interpretation at all. If your suit meets the official 501st posted crl they must, shall approve. Not make you do more work on it, not make you have optional items for basic approval, etc.

If your armour as is meets those basic crl requirements and a gml says no, forward that response to the lco and lmo. Some gmls need an attitude adjustment. IE. Nobody needs a blaster for basic tk approval.

Not really wanting any conflict tbh, but I asked if velcro closure on limbs is acceptable. The answer I got was: "Hello Mark. All limbs will be needed to be glued shut excluding the rear of the shins for basic clearance".

So, presumably, cover strips with no velcro closure.

And that's about a days work to fix. And way cheaper than a new kit.

For some people, i'd agree. I'm just not confident enough in my abilities, to start cutting-up my armour :(