Anovos Helmet Rebuild

Those 6/32 screws look SO MUCH BETTER!!! Not sure why Anovos come with those weird looking screws. :huh:

Mark (AP)

They had left over wall plug cover leftovers

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok,....

Last night I checked the outlet cover screws and they appear to be accurate.

They measure 6.57mm with a digital caliper so I think that is close enough to the 6.5mm.

20160324_200630_zpsfsbpfpel.jpg

20160324_200706_zpsxt2ei7dl.jpg

Edited by mikidymac

Super Info and Happy Easter! <br>

2 Questions <br>

1. So I will go to Ace or a local hardware store for these bolts, I do not speak (Bolt measurement language), what specifically do I ask for when talking with the sales person? <br>

2. What screen size/ measurement is used in this feed (mic tips) and can I get it at the hardware store?

Ok,....

Last night I checked the outlet cover screws and they appear to be accurate.

They measure 6.57mm with a digital caliper so I think that is close enough to the 6.5mm.

They need to be flat head

Super Info and Happy Easter! <br>

2 Questions <br>

1. So I will go to Ace or a local hardware store for these bolts, I do not speak (Bolt measurement language), what specifically do I ask for when talking with the sales person? <br>

2. What screen size/ measurement is used in this feed (mic tips) and can I get it at the hardware store?

1. "V" head, flat,  slotted machine screws

2. 3.5m or equivalent however, the important info is the head diameter needs to be no larger than 6.5mm

• Like 1

They need to be flat head

1. "V" head, flat,  slotted machine screws

2. 3.5m or equivalent however, the important info is the head diameter needs to be no larger than 6.5mm

Tony is right, I used electrical outlet screws which are v slotted but not flat (domed head) so I filled the heads flat, problem solved  ;)

No.1 screw was the first ones I used, the second (no.2) have a deeper slot so they were the ones I filled down to make the new (no.3) screws.

I already had them so thought I would make use of them!

DSC_0358_zpsfjkhggrl.jpg

DSC_0356_zpsriv7z9m1.jpg

• Like 2

For completeness this is what the DIN spec M3.5 look like once in a finished Anovos bucket:

26007643072_88f59df9e8_c.jpg

Finished bucket! by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

Also this bucket has had a complete hand re-paint.

• Like 3

Ok Tony, round 2.

As the electrical cover plate screws don't have the correct head I went back to Home Depot. I found the Anovos screws are only 5.46mm so as suspected they are too small.

I then found some electrical box screws that have the correct head and are almost 6.5mm at 6.28mm. For me I think that will be close enough. They are also very long so they can be easily trimmed to length.

Here is the Anovos Screw. Wrong in every way.

20160329_210243_zpsrixtrmwq.jpg

These are the Home Depot Screws.....

20160329_210317_zpskoauacnm.jpg

20160329_210352_zps0i6dymgp.jpg

Got hold of mine from here. Did mean having to buy a pack of 100 though. Enough to kit out another 24 helmets :)https://www.accu.co.uk/en/countersunk-flat-head-screws/5997-SFK-M3-5-18-A2

Sent from my ONE A2003 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Did you end up going wit the M3.5 Brass screw for the ears and using the supplied ear screws for the TD?

Answered my own question, love it when that happens.  Thanks for the research and trial and error...I'll be swinging by HD to pick up those screws and update my ears.  What did you use to paint them white?

Edited by E_Palpatine

Did you end up going wit the M3.5 Brass screw for the ears and using the supplied ear screws for the TD?

Answered my own question, love it when that happens.  Thanks for the research and trial and error...I'll be swinging by HD to pick up those screws and update my ears.  What did you use to paint them white?

White paint, LOL. Sorry I couldn't resist. I just used some Testors gloss white I had laying around.

I did a test fit of the M3.5 screws I purchased last night and have now got the image.

25543483490_4a05bf3020_z.jpg

Testing the fit of the M3.5 screws by Christopher Pearson, on Flickr

They look right to me and fit the pre-drilled holes nicely.  The shafts are bigger than the supplied screws.

I got mine here, they also do the matching brass nuts and washers, you want the metric course nuts (that confused me a bit and I had to google about a bit to work out if I wanted course or fine).  Delivery was pretty fast but no idea if that's helpful to anyone out side the UK.

http://www.spaldingfasteners.co.uk/metric-brass-countersunk-slotted-head-machine-screws-m3-m4-m6/

Dream.. a UK supplier for something! :-) Thanks for this Christopher - order being placed as we speak.

• Like 2

I installed my #6-32 screws yesterday after painting them white, and they look excellent. Thanks for the info and doing the trial and error of finding the right ones!

I ended up getting the 6/32s as well. Looked nice!

• 2 years later...