surviving original armor

It gets a bit confusing piecing it all together on here so I wanted to ask about surviving original armor, and here is what I think is true:

ANH: no armor exists that was used in the original movie. Several helmets did survive but all are missing pieces. There are no existing helmets that have all of its parts intact. There maybe be some promotional suits of full armor out there???

ESB: No armor exists that was used in the movie. I don't know if any helmets survived?

ROTJ: Armor used in the films does exist. I don't know how much or even if a full suit exists? AP was made from this armor but since AP is missing part of the original shin pieces, perhaps the existing armor is also missing these parts??? I can only assume helmets exist.

For the existing armor, some parts are in Lucas Films archives but I don't know about how much is in private collectors hands??? Do we have an inventory of everything that is in Lucas Films archives?

Not sure if that is necessarily true in either case.

I found a good site that has some very interesting facts. It seems rather accurate, although I can't cooberate any of the information.

http://www.starwarshelmets.com/

You can specifically check the helmet section.

It also has a good bit of information on fan-made helmets that also appears to be as accurate as possible (no bias in any of it from what I read).

Jim, I think this thread is an excellent idea. But I'm going to add my 2 cents.

Any speculation, opinions, or 4th hand information will be removed. If you are regurgitating what you saw or read somewhere else post a link or it will be removed.

I want this to be as close to 100% accurate as possible.

Please remember I am not interested in people who make armor or what their armor is based on. What I want to know is if any of the original movie armor still exists and if so from what films, etc.

Please remember I am not interested in people who make armor or what their armor is based on. What I want to know is if any of the original movie armor still exists and if so from what films, etc.

I have held, cleaned, archived and cataloged 7 suits from ANH and 5 helmets left in the archives. 11 sets of boots from ANH still exist as well.

To date, one possible ESB suit has surfaced at a Christies auction in 1998. Seller was not revealed and suit has never surfaced.

I held and cataloged and worked with 45 ROTJ suits and helmets.

These are the facts, and they are 100% accurate. Any questions please feel free to ask. I will answer what I can.

About helmets, I have owned 2 original ANH helmets and they had the ears intact and one was the ONLY complete ANH helmet outside of the Archives. The other helmet was missing the neck trim and foam inside was all.

T*E

T*E I'm really surprised to hear that 7 ANH suits exist. I had always heard that none survived. Sorry for asking but I want to be completely clear, were they 7 complete suits (minus helmets, boots)? Odd that only one ESB suit survived. I would have thought that after the success of the first film they really would have made an effort to archive some. Thanks for the info TE.

kiyotei said:

From the site, they have a specific section on armor, with a lot of pictures of original armor, and what was still around. TE is mentioned in there as well.

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Jez's site is great, but it's yet another site to go to. Having that info here makes it somewhat easier to find.

This is a great thread! I'm also surprised at the lack of ESB kit in the archives.

Are any of the accessories still out there, e.g. the comlink & grappling hook? What about space pack stuff? Any blasters?

I love this kind of stuff. I would wonder if the 7 suits in the archives are possibly ESB. They both (ANH and ESB) look the same except the hand guards, right. I know the helmets are different, I mean just the suit.

I love this kind of stuff. I would wonder if the 7 suits in the archives are possibly ESB. They both (ANH and ESB) look the same except the hand guards, right. I know the helmets are different, I mean just the suit.

Do you mean different Helmets between ANH & ESB more than just the finish? sorry to go slightly OT, I aways thought All ESB Lid's were just reconditioned ANH :huh:

back OT here's a link to older list kindly provided by T*E, hope it's ok to post :)

http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...hlight=original

Do you mean different Helmets between ANH & ESB more than just the finish? sorry to go slightly OT, I aways thought All ESB Lid's were just reconditioned ANH :huh:

back OT here's a link to older list kindly provided by T*E, hope it's ok to post :)

http://www.mepd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...hlight=original

The ESB lids were repainted ANH lids. I meant armor is the same essentailly. So could it be possible that the remaining armor in the archives is ESB instead of ANH? Sans the hand guards.

Well i suppose that the suits would be anh and esb the only difference being the hand plates and belt/ holster set up, no? (im ignoring helmets here)

As we know that no new armour was made from esb, just re-used anh stuff...

It would be interesting to hear more from Matt :duim:

I am familiar with the site:---------------however most of the information is about helmets not armor. They only mention the armor really in passing.

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Fair enough. There was a fascinating thread about it on the Prop Den if anyone's interested in some first hand info on the case.

• 2 weeks later...
Edited post.

Matt, were the 7 ANH suits in the archive complete? Also were any of the 7 hero suits?

I am positive that there are 3 suits I identified.

1. Mark Hamills closeup suit

2. The hero suit from the standee with the helmet

3. The Mr. No Stripes suit from when he stunned Leia

For the helmets, I was able to identify a few.

1. Davin Felth's helmet

2. The fall helmet from the top of the gantry and then into the pit by the falcon

3. The other sandtrooper helmet from the cantina walk through.. filmed in LA.

4. The hero standee

The others were too common to have any distinguishing features to try to identify them.

The only thing missing on the suits were either a broken lower knee piece, left or right ones.. and there were NO handplates from ANH or ESB.

The only gloves and hand plates were from ROTJ and there were tons of those. Same for the body suits and also the neck seals.. and yes, they are are burnt red velveteen. ROTJ boots.. man.. there were a TON of those as well.

No, gino was not invited, nor would he ever be invited to the archives by LFL. I was paid to do a job for 2 weeks time and then came back home.

T*E