TK 2490 Request Elite Status.[20][FX]

All right, It's been a lot of work, a lot of time, a lot of frustration.... no... just kidding. Lots of fun.

Since joining, I always wanted to "correct" my armor. It's taken some time/attention span. I get lost in other project, but it keeps me coming back to the TK.

I'm a big guy(6'3" 250ish), so it's FX for me. I've tried to make some changes to it for fit, but it's still tough.

So here is where I am at? What say you?

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

Blaster Details

DSCF3033.jpg

DSCF3034.jpg

DSCF3036.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg

One for Paul and Terrell

DSCF3032.jpg

looks fantastic! nice blaster too.

what type of bucket you have there? looks great. the button colors are the only thing I can't make out...you may want to narrow-down your knees one day but overall looks KILLER. great job!

Thanks Scott. I agree about the thighs. I need to cut them to a better shape (odd since I have this shim...). Darn FX thighs.

The bucket is TE (except the last one for Paul and Terrell)

EDIT:

sorry, forgot to post about the buttons. They are from VaderDave's first run. I have another set as well (from another maker). The colors look good, the pictures... the light and the camera we have don't do the color justice.

Nice job Brad :duim: . Looks like your going to be elite #20. We'll eventually need a clear action shot as the elite pics are going to get lager one of these days.

With regards to thighs, the FX thighs do take some extra work to trim up, with or without a shim. The left is bigger at the bottom than the top so you have to cut a wedge to tighten up the bottom. Then you put in you shim to open it up. I guess you could also have a wedged shaped shim, so only the top gets expanded and the bottom gets none.

Wow, getting armor to fit right on a guy your size is pretty tricky but you did a fine job. For the thighs while you could trim them to get them shaped correctly at the bottom, I'd like to suggest as well that down the line you check out the ones from RT, as there is I believe less cut away on the sides, which will cover more black.

I have to hand it to you on the butt plate - this gives many fits and the way you adjusted it came out great. :)

LOL on the bucket btw - always good to have a sense of humor :)

Thank you guys!!!! I love the TK, so I've tried to do it justice, even on a big guy like myself.

Boozel turned me on to RT and told me about the thighs. It's one of the biggest issues I have with my armor. No matter what I do, I can't get the area to shrink (sides of thigh to belt/butt). there is just so much black space there. Boozel let me know that his thighs are much bigger than say a TE/TE2 or other ANH armor out there. I'm going to have to give RT a try. I like the biceps too on the RT.

Thank you guys!!!! I love the TK, so I've tried to do it justice, even on a big guy like myself.

Boozel turned me on to RT and told me about the thighs. It's one of the biggest issues I have with my armor. No matter what I do, I can't get the area to shrink (sides of thigh to belt/butt). there is just so much black space there. Boozel let me know that his thighs are much bigger than say a TE/TE2 or other ANH armor out there. I'm going to have to give RT a try. I like the biceps too on the RT.

Looking good Brad,

I too am a larger trooper and had some fitting issues. I have a full RT set up. On my thighs I mocked up the back of the thighs where the lower edge overlapped more then the top with duct tape. I trimmed a wedge shape piece off so the bottoms so they where more form fitting and less "barrel thigh" looking and rivetted my shim in place. The Velcro shim I tried first was just too bulky looking to me. Looks like you could do the something similar on yours.

2327207249_36cfccdd8c.jpg

Just a few other things I noticed about your set up.

The drop boxes on the belt should have a white strap and also be centered on the tabs at the end of the belt and not hang directly in front of you

2412009117_fdc0078300.jpg

and on the right thigh/knee the part should be rounded along the bottom edge

2412833926_4bc0b52eaa.jpg

I know the FX kit includes the metallic tape for the thermal detonator, but I am not sure if it is screen accurate? Just curious what method did you uses to attach your butt plate?

Bryce, sweet shot of the thighs man. I'm going to give that a shot. I don't like the shim look on my thighs at all. I've also thought about adding the shim, then a smaller "fill" piece so you then would have 2 seams where the shim is, but no "dip" of the actual shim. I "could" then fill the seams, but then would have to sand and paint. Seems like it would be easier to give the RT a shot first then see if I am up for a thigh project.

I had the drop boxes slightly to the front to try to cover up some more of the black space (again, since I'm big). I can try to move them a little further out and see how it looks. Good eye.

I'll be honest, never caught the round edge on the knee. That's awesome. I'll quickly give that a snip!!! That's what I love about this place. I always learn something new.

For the butt plate, I cut the back and belt on the natural seam. I then have 3 straps in side. One on each side (1" thick) and once center (3" thick). Now remember... I'm a big guy. I added space between the back and the butt so it would sit correctly. If I take my belt off there is probably a gap of 1 - 1.5 inches. Cutting the back/ab was a MUST do for me to fit in the armor. If not, I would never get the chest down over my ab and my back. Heck it still just barely makes it.

I can't wait to give the RT thighs a shot. The pictures really help. Thank you.

very nice, all i'm waiting on to complete my suit is the boots and some buttons for vaderdave, well i say complete, there'll still be mods to make it and to the wait for my blaster from makerofthings before its elite. hopefully if the boots come soon i'll be able to post some pics.

Hi There,

I have RT stuff and thickish thighs. I had to make up a shim for the right one and tapered the fitting so the bottom and top still fitted neatly to my leg.

I used 1mm styrene as 2mm does not bend enough round your leg to give you the shape.

Here are a few pics.

P3030063.jpg

P3030064.jpg

It's not that obvious when it's all on and your trooping.

Meback.jpg

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Julian.

Lookin god Brad! :salute::trooper: may I suggest white strapping for your drop boxes though, it brings the Elite trooper look that much closer to screen accurate brother

I agree with the sentiments posted here - you've done a nice job shaping the kit to fit. :) That's the hardest part of armor assembly, and it's something I'm still working on (and probably always will be). In that I like the relative ease and flexibility of the FX kit over ANH armor to fit various body styles. Not saying that ANH can't do the same, but FX seems to be built with that in mind.

Nice work, and hopefully you'll be joining the Elite ranks soon! :trooper:

Lookin god Brad! :salute::trooper: may I suggest white strapping for your drop boxes though, it brings the Elite trooper look that much closer to screen accurate brother

Thanks Bernard. yea, I plan on changing over to white. I just need to make it to the fabric store. When I make the change, I'll move them out a little bit as well (more to the sides)

Thank you too Terry!!! Looking forward to joining the ranks!!!

Brad,

Armor looks good (and I loved the pic in the FX bucket!!)

I will say you are there, but I will wait to actually "deploy" you until the white strapping is done. I am mainly doing this to get the best possible pic, as well as hopefully get some really good pics for the Elite page. The ones you have are a little fuzzy, and I want to make sure your Elite pic is a good one.

Make sure to get a new pic (really only need one so we can see the white strapping), and you are all set. Please also post a pick that I can use for the Elite page. (mid-thigh up, or something similar)

Thanks,

Scott

Brad,

Armor looks good (and I loved the pic in the FX bucket!!)

I will say you are there, but I will wait to actually "deploy" you until the white strapping is done. I am mainly doing this to get the best possible pic, as well as hopefully get some really good pics for the Elite page. The ones you have are a little fuzzy, and I want to make sure your Elite pic is a good one.

Make sure to get a new pic (really only need one so we can see the white strapping), and you are all set. Please also post a pick that I can use for the Elite page. (mid-thigh up, or something similar)

Thanks,

Scott

Got it Scott. I'll try to get the new pics tonight or tomorrow. Our camera is not the greatest, so I'll see what I can do.

Excellent work you man!!!

Everything is proceeding exactly as I have foreseen.............

Oh, wait, never mind. Elite Status approved!! :trooper:

I appreciate you making the steps to get this as accurate as possible. I know it can be a pain when it is the smallest detail, but it makes it all worth it in the end.

Paul, would you be so kind and update our newest Elite Trooper??

congrats brad!!! your armor is looking awesome. it has come along way since we first met at the dayton phil hormonic......i think you have surpassed me my friend. damn now i have to get my armor all fixed up and elite. anyway good work bro.

Thanks Bill. That means alot coming from you man. Yea, I've made a few changes from the Dayton Philharmonic days. :) I learned a lot from your armor!!!! I STILL need to do the Bill chest strap MOD you showed me. I can't wait to see you all set up man. I'll never forget those first troops (my first big event - Dayton Philharmonic) and the very first outing with Dave, Mike, Derek, and Lord Mark at a Birthday party. I was a mess.... even more than usual... :).

The best part... every outing is better than the last when you have good people!!!