Female Stormtrooper Armor

A friend and I have started a new project. After much trial and error learning how to vacuum form, finally getting our heating table right, and finding the right material, we are attempting to make female stormtrooper armor. My friend started about a month ago sculpting a chest plate. He pulled one, and it looked OK, but he wanted to improve it. Rather than putting it in our scrap pile, he listed it on his ebay page, thinking he might at least recover the cost of the plastic. The response was overwhelming. With so few producing armor that flatters the female body, there must surely be a demand for it. He sculpted a couple of other pieces to add to the chest plate. I would like to submit our work so far to the FISD community to get your help developing a set of armor that would be of interest to our fairer members. Here are a few pictures:

Fresh off the vacuum table...

pbClSoM.jpg

Material is 0.080" HIPS. Here are the parts all trimmed up and clear coated. Shoulder straps have been attached to the chest plate...

ntZcoax.jpg

All three individually...

tN7sOzZ.jpg

CmY62Qs.jpg

YKaX7QM.jpg

Please feel free to share your valuable insights.

Edited by gmrhodes13
photos updated gmrhodes13 2021

Guess we're late to the party. If you search for female stormtrooper armor, this is the kind of thing you find. When the first piece sold so quickly, we thought we might be onto something. What would you change?

Hey Bryan,

It looks like you guys have put a lot of work into your female stormtrooper. The "femtrooper" has gained in popularity over the years. In fact one of the original and most popular ones is a darling of FISD and she is an active member of the legion with another costume.

There is also a legit female stormtooper costume in the legion now based on references from a comic book and a gentle giant statue. 

Personally, I am not in favor of the sexualization of Stormtoopers. A lot of us are purists in that regard. As a warning, you may encounter others on this board (who have already posted) that will feel the same way. Do not take it personally but you are guaranteed to encounter some strong opinions on this.

Our female members are just women in actual stormtrooper armor and they wear it with well deserved pride. 

My guess is that you'll be able to sell your stuff on ebay rather easily, especially around Halloween.

Good luck with your project.

-Eric

• Like 3

Guess we're late to the party. If you search for female stormtrooper armor, this is the kind of thing you find. When the first piece sold so quickly, we thought we might be onto something. What would you change?

Well, as a non-profit, all-inclusive group that focus on child-related charities, it does not go over all that well to appear to support sexism. Which is what this is.
  • Like 5

Hey Bryan,

It looks like you guys have put a lot of work into your female stormtrooper. The "femtrooper" has gained in popularity over the years. In fact one of the original and most popular ones is a darling of FISD and she is an active member of the legion with another costume.

There is also a legit female stormtooper costume in the legion now based on references from a comic book and a gentle giant statue. 

Personally, I am not in favor of the sexualization of Stormtoopers. A lot of us are purists in that regard. As a warning, you may encounter others on this board (who have already posted) that will feel the same way. Do not take it personally but you are guaranteed to encounter some strong opinions on this.

Our female members are just women in actual stormtrooper armor and they wear it with well deserved pride. 

My guess is that you'll be able to sell your stuff on ebay rather easily, especially around Halloween.

Good luck with your project.

-Eric

very well said!  +1 :duim:

• Like 1

all inclusive means we have a place for this armor too...  most of the women here wear the legacy armor, or the regular TK... femtrooper armor is still out

there... but not really 501st approved... more of a novelty outside of the cannon designs..

we in the legion are here not just for costumes... we're here to represent the actual elements of the STAR WARS universe.

all inclusive means we have a place for this armor too...

All inclusive about people. Not armour. Promoting armour that objectifies a certain group is contrary to all inclusive.

That being said; Bryan, you're still welcome here and I hope you are not discouraged by this and stick around to create something new and awesome.

• Like 2

Article IV: Membership
  1. The 501st Legion is an inclusive, equal-opportunity, non-discriminatory club. Membership is open to persons 18 years or older who own a costume that meets with the standards of accuracy, completeness, and quality of construction as required by the Legion.

This pretty much sums up our mission.

The fem trooper costume has been around for a long time but has never been officially entered into cannon.

the costume is basically a fan based non legion costume that has a place in modern culture.

we like it just fine for casual events and convention events...  Unless a comic book makes this cannon... I don't see a problem with it as it stands.

we;ve just kinda gotten over it..

Again, I offer my most sincere apologies. I certainly did not mean to offend. If the moderators feel this has no place here, please remove the thread.

we welcome you here.. and look forward to your progress.

There is no need for apologies. What you did was in good intention and has it's place for an entertainment aspect. "You can't be told no unless you ask" We know more about you, you know more about what we do any why we do it. Best of luck to you!

Even with people saying that this is objectifying of women and whatnot, what if some women actually want to wear this? 

I say, go for it. It may not be approvable, but if people buy it, they probably want it.
Now, from a canon, practical design-aware point of view, I think the Legacy female armor is a better alternative if you want to be an actual 501st stormtrooper.

But wearing this just for fun and to be a bit sexy, I'd say it's not really up to US to decide what our female members should or shouldn't do.
We're not the highest authority on other people's decisions NOR their interests, and especially NOT their bodies!

This really is no different to me than girls (or men, i don't judge!) getting some sexy pants or a bikini (or any kind of outfit) for the sake of showing off, having fun and getting some attention, being proud of who they are, but it's still THEIR decision to do so. 
We don't go around saying to people "Don't dress up as slave Leia, it's immoral, even though you want to, you're just showing off, etc." either.

lol I was thinking those pieces might be perfect for some lady bounty hunter armor, like how (don't kill me) The Clone Wars show had variations on Mando armor for women.

I agree that at first glance (and especially compared to canon trooper armor) it looks too sexy, but nobody said there couldn't be a baggy (not-spandex) body suit underneath.

I would personally avoid too much plastic "cleavage" just for the sake of cohesion between all the SW armors (there's Jabba's court, but those are made of soft goods, not armor pieces) but again, maybe after they're painted up they could be used for female generic bounty hunter costumes (thinking of Zam Wesell's armor)

Edited by charlesnarles

• 2 weeks later...

there's Jabba's court, but those are made of soft goods, not armor pieces

The Newest attraction live at Jabba's Palace!; 50 Shades of WHITE!

In all seriousness, there's nothing sexier than a woman in some authentic white :P just my opinion of course, but hey, there's a time and place for everything, and why should Fem trooper armor be any different?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will the helmet have lipstick? I find this personally degrading after serving in the Australian military I wouldn't expect the women who served to have boobies shaped body armour, why does every female have to have a sexy version ? You don't see word leaders walking around in lingerie, equality is just that. Equality not women have to be sexy,

• Like 1