Cover Strips/Finishing Strips

So I forgot to order cover strips/finishing strips from the vendor I purchased my suit from. However, I did discover that Hobby Town near me sells ABS plastic strips. Can anyone tell me what the thickness of the cover strips are?

Your armor vendor should have or may give you extra plastic for the cover strips. If they didn't try and ask them to send you some :)

-Eric

(Hi Mark!)

Was the vendor that you got your armor from one of the vetted sellers from here?  If so, they should have included extra ABS, probably in 4x18 (approx.) inch sections.  You will have to cut these down to size as needed for the cover strips.

Oh man. I just started on my cover strips and I have a confession...I cannot cut a straight line if my life depends on it. I tried using a level and clamps (clamps popped off). Tried using my own weight (knife went under the level). Anyone have some good tips cause anything at this point will help.

Oh man. I just started on my cover strips and I have a confession...I cannot cut a straight line if my life depends on it. I tried using a level and clamps (clamps popped off). Tried using my own weight (knife went under the level). Anyone have some good tips cause anything at this point will help.

Score and snap. And use a steel ruler.

Thanks Mathias! I'll give it another go tonight when I get home from work. Did you clamp the ruler to the plastic? Or just hold it with your hand?

You can hold it by pressing your fingers down. You don't need a lot of force because you're not supposed to cut through he plastic. just make a scoring. Once you bend the plastic along the score line it breaks along it cleanly.

It's like how you cut glass sheets.

• Like 1

Was the vendor that you got your armor from one of the vetted sellers from here?  If so, they should have included extra ABS, probably in 4x18 (approx.) inch sections.  You will have to cut these down to size as needed for the cover strips.

I did order from a vetted seller from this website. He said that the strips do not come with the suit. They are an additional item you must buy. $50 + shipping for the strips. I have found where I can buy the strips and I think Item code SSS-10824 is the correct sheet.

http://www.plastruct.com/Pages/OnlineCatalog.lasso

Enter catalog code SSS-10824

Hope this helps future newbies.

Edited by SkyyDragon

When cutting your cover strips;

Lay your rule on the plastic and hold fairly tight with your fingers. Your knife hand is best to lightly score the plastic without pushing too hard. Scoring lightly several times is better than one heavy go. The harder you press the more likely you will slip or follow a line other than the side of the rule.

Hi everybody..

• Like 3

When cutting your cover strips;

Lay your rule on the plastic and hold fairly tight with your fingers. Your knife hand is best to lightly score the plastic without pushing too hard. Scoring lightly several times is better than one heavy go. The harder you press the more likely you will slip or follow a line other than the side of the rule.

Hi everybody..

And after the first two light scores you probably won't need the metal straight edge anymore. The blade will usually follow the groove nicely. 

-Eric

• Like 1

I found it better to score on the back (non shiny side) of the ABS. This way if the knife does slips, it's on the back side and no one sees it.

• Like 1

Be careful of ordering plastic for cover strips from a random vendor. You may get lucky, but you may also find out there are 421 distinct shades of white. For instance the cover strip material I was supplied with came in two colors of white, one that matched the suit for the outside and one that was more of an off white which was marked for inside cover strips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Be careful of ordering plastic for cover strips from a random vendor. You may get lucky, but you may also find out there are 421 distinct shades of white. For instance the cover strip material I was supplied with came in two colors of white, one that matched the suit for the outside and one that was more of an off white which was marked for inside cover strips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. I'll make sure to take a piece of the armor into the store with me and make sure the shade of white matches.