Gluing and clamping

So, I've started gluing my pieces. I've noticed a problem with the longer sections. I'm getting gaps forming where the clamps I have don't reach. It's usually about the halfway point.

I was just curious about what people have done to help with this. Do any type of clamps work better, rubber bands? What has worked for you? What should I avoid?

I had the same problem .. esp on my thighs.

The only solution I came up with was clamping the ends and then using a stick taped to a worktable.

The far end of the stick was placed at the middle of the armor being glued and then a small weight (tape measure) was put on the armor over the stick end to push the seams of the armor together ...

I'm sure there are more elegant methods like long scissor / plier arrangements, but this one worked for me.

<_<

I was working on my thighs today and I pondered this same issue. I was thinking about using magnets, one on the inside and one on the outside. Stong enuff magnets I think would do the trick.

I glued my thighs and shins in 2 sections. For example, I'd glue and clamp the top and hold the top half of the seam for 10 minutes then let it fully cure. A few hours later (or the next day) I'd do the bottom half.

Hope that helps.

I glued my thighs and shins in 2 sections. For example, I'd glue and clamp the top and hold the top half of the seam for 10 minutes then let it fully cure. A few hours later (or the next day) I'd do the bottom half.

Hope that helps.

I did the same - glued the white strip (as one do with AP Kits) to one half part of the shin using all the clamps I had, let it cure, then I glued this part to the other half, using my largest clamps to hold the sides, while I used a lot masking tape rolled around the whole piece to make secure the areas that the clamps didn't reach.

Update.

I asked around and a friend recommended magnets. We picked up some small button-sized magnets in the craft section of Wal-Mart. I've done the left thigh, and I think that the longer front seam came out really good.

T4UBvdD.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

These are the steps I finally used and they worked really well:

(1) make sure to put blue painters tape or masking tape flush on all the seams, top and bottom.

(2) place an even coating of glue on the seam, using a wooden coffee stirrer to get the layer evenly distributed

(3) put the pieces together, clamping where I can

(4) place one arm under piece and place your fingers on the seam

(5) use a can of Lysol, paint etc. as a rolling pin, rolling the can over the seam and using your fingers as leverage to keep the pieces together. It is best to have your fingers moving up and down the seam while rolling.

(6) takes about five minutes before the glue sets up. Keep tape on seams for at least an hour.

(7) there is always one small area which refuses to set up with the glue, I use strips of painters tape to hold these areas down.

Steps were developed after getting glue all over my shin pieces and having to sand and paint all four shin pieces. Never happened with the thigh pieces.

Great tips all! I went out old school and after gluing what could be clamped I came back 48 hours later with a small artist's brush and filled in the seams and pulled it all together snuggly with velcro style straps. Masked everything with blue tape first of course. Magnets are a great idea! ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Murray1134 said:

Update.

I asked around and a friend recommended magnets. We picked up some small button-sized magnets in the craft section of Wal-Mart. I've done the left thigh, and I think that the longer front seam came out really good.

Used this method..BRILLANT! Used three and it kept the creases down and tight!

DD.

This is great. I'm hopefully a few weeks away from getting my set, and the armor tips have been excellent. Less I have to figure out when I'm putting it together. I have some heavy magnets from a promo that my old company did way back when. They are magnets that they use on oil rigs to hold up their maps, so they are stupid strong. They are coated as well, so they shouldn't scratch anything.

If they work out well, I probably can get some more (they have 100's of these magnets in boxes, and I'm sure I can scoff a few.

This is great. I'm hopefully a few weeks away from getting my set, and the armor tips have been excellent. Less I have to figure out when I'm putting it together. I have some heavy magnets from a promo that my old company did way back when. They are magnets that they use on oil rigs to hold up their maps, so they are stupid strong. They care coated as well, so they shouldn't scratch anything.

If they work out well, I probably can get some more (they have 100's of these magnets in boxes, and I'm sure I can scoff a few.

Hi Tim,

Could I buy a set off you please?

'Doing a freinds armour soon and had a nightmare with my thighs and calfs. I ended up glueing down the seams clamping where I could and then stacking a phone book on top to hold it all together while the glue cured :o. Not the best method me thinks lol.

Hi Tim,

Could I buy a set off you please?

'Doing a freinds armour soon and had a nightmare with my thighs and calfs. I ended up glueing down the seams clamping where I could and then stacking a phone book on top to hold it all together while the glue cured :o. Not the best method me thinks lol.

I'm heading down to the job this week (they are a client of mine now). I'll grab a bunch. They are strong enough to hurt your finger if you get it caught between two of them (I know, trust me).

I'll post up some pics of them when I pick them up.

I'm heading down to the job this week (they are a client of mine now). I'll grab a bunch. They are strong enough to hurt your finger if you get it caught between two of them (I know, trust me).

I'll post up some pics of them when I pick them up.

Ok cool, just let me know if I can get some. and how much you need for em :)

I went with clamps for the ends. I put a steel ruler along the underside and put hard drive magnets on the other (out)side. I put two layers of electrical tape under the magnets with vinyl layer to prevent scratching. Worked out nicely.

IMG_2619.jpg