Altair's Resin Doopydoos E11 Build

Altair

I've put my DIY lug to the side for the moment as I got a response from Doopys - they are shipping me a lug! :)

So on with the build...

I've added another detail to the inner bolt. Also in reference pics there is a serial number that runs along the top.. I might do this mod, maybe?

ieqfiJm.jpg

For the front sight I decided to leave this in once piece for durability, this will be a trooping blaster after all! Using the dremel I cleaned up the sides and thinned the base around the pin mount. I then used some green stuff to thicken up the pin mount so I could drill a small hole in the right side to put a grub screw. I also cut a slot in the base on each side.

b9juI4g.jpg

The pin was made out of a spare piece of aluminum and a hole drilled in the top of the pin mount to slot it in.

7XPV2mT.jpg

Bit more green stuff to clean this piece up a bit.. was pretty fiddly :)

Vam499L.jpg

I have the power!!!... power cylinders that is :)

Using T-Jay's awesome tutorial here the fiirst thing I did with the Doopys resin power cylinders is grab the dremel to grind out the capacitors in between the cylinders and also make a hole in the back plate for the new capacitors to poke through

yBgbEnt.jpg

To make the new capacitors I used 3 x pieces of aluminum rod, 6 x pieces of wire and some green stuff.

2NJX6rN.jpg

First step was rounding the edges of the aluminum. Then roll up some green stuff into little balls and press them onto the ends. Finally push the wires into the center of the green stuff and leave it to set hard.

BrS9HAL.jpg

A quick test fit...

nVuTl34.jpg

Rather than replacing the little bridge piece between the cylinders, I decided to leave it be and drill 3 x small holes to thread the wires through.

I also thinned the large base down and reduced the end caps slightly.

BzlumhG.jpg

Now onto trimming the back plate. Thanks to Andy (PlayfulWolfCub) there are 5 x different documented back plates (A to E). I chose shape A.

j55iUiM.jpg

Using some more green stuff (gotta love it!), I rolled some thin rod shapes, let them cure, then sanded the ends to simulate the resistors on the end

LZOBU8A.jpg

The "resistors" were then glued underneath the rear end caps.

Also in the middle of each end cap I also added a small bolt and nut.

jUmFHWB.jpg

The heads of the bolts were then cut off.

Also using some spare abs plastic, I cut 2 x small squares to make the wing stubs that go on the outer sides. These were glued in place.

qnhJSLt.jpg

Getting there...

Edited by Altair
  • Like 2

A little more modification to the Hengstler.. What good is a counter with no numbers? Time to fix that!

Ā 

You mentioned it not being accurate when it's flat, this isn't so! :D

Ā 

There are Hengstler 400's with a domed cover as well as a flat cover. The ones with the flat cover are nearly even with the level of the plastic housing so it doesn't stand up like the domed ones do. So flat is also accurate, but it will just need to not be as thick.

John, it looks like you really studied that power cylinders tutorial :duim:.

Ā 

Thanks for the kudos and I am looking forward seeing your completed power cylinders with all the wires and some paint... :DĀ Nice work so far.

Thanks for letting me know mate, I'll keep it flat :)

Hey John

If you want a curved one , I am more than happy to knock one up for you, got plenty of perspective to play with, so can make it at standard dimensions 10x34.

Ā 

Let me know

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some finishing touches to the power cylinders... first put on a coat of primer, then the first coat of flat black

xntrC2y.jpg

Installed my capacitors, threading the wires through the holes then bending the ends back up around the front edge

en4OfKj.jpg

Added some wires to the back ends of the capacitors to connect them to the resistors. You can't really tell from the image but I did in fact solder these on :)

rUg8Cyu.jpg

OK well I think this might be the last mod... next stop Paint Town!

Detail is outstanding mate, will make your display piece this weekend.

Ā 

Ā 

Very nice John - especially the soldering on the red wire :duim:

Ā 

And I like the fact you made those resistors from the green stuff, too.

Ā 

Good luck for the paint work...

Edited by T-Jay

Small update... I've put a coat of flat black over the power cylinder capacitors and wires at the back... only thing left now is glue and weathering

6WLFk65.jpg

eS1GYta.jpg

Another small update, thanks to Sly11 I now have a curved piece of plexiglass for the counter display - thanks again mate!

sJ94c6e.jpg

Looks much better IMHO

IXWrrjg.jpg

Very cool progress. Power cylinders are looking like coming fresh from the factory :). I like the fact you left a little of the red wire visible.

Ā 

The curved counter display is much more realistic and also creates some kind of zooming-effect to the numbers. Really nice.

I agree with T-Jay! I, for one, can't wait to see the end result of your Blaster. Very nice detailing!

Ā 

Ā 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for some paint! But first I gave all the parts a wash with warm soapy water

kiqlU59.jpg

An old clothes drying rack came in handy to hang parts

Er2tX1M.jpg

I had some Dy-Mark plastic primer but it was clear making it hard to tell if you have an even coat... so everything got a coat of Rust-Oleum 2X Flat Grey Primer instead

Is2usMT.jpg

Uk4qUNi.jpg

I gave some of the smaller pieces a quick coat of primer so I didn't have to spray heavy on those areas once attached to the blaster

b3tbNZm.jpg

Small pieces glued on with Selleys 5-min Araldite, left to cure, then a coat of primer for the lot

mSu3z9v.jpg

• Like 2

Getting there, just make sure you clear the areas of paint that you are going to bond together. ie. trigger guard contact points,Ā  pistol grip etc, otherwise you may not get a good strong bond.

Edited by Sly11

Best way to clear the glue areas is small strips of masking tape. The tape should be around 1/8" less in diameter of the area the glue will adhere too. That way paint is a little under the joint to make a seam, but allowa for good joint ashesion.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, I sanded back the areas requiring glue and taped them up :)

Ā 

I started to paint some parts black but I didn't like the finish of the Dy-Mark Flat Black paint I started to use.. it seemed quite glossy for a flat! So I switched to Rust-Oleum Flat Black instead :)

ntlt3mj.jpg

fiel0gW.jpg

cnbLZ5D.jpg

I taped off and painted the handle whilst it wasn't connected to the barrel. I used Dy-Mark Gloss Black for the handle but I forgot to take a picture (you'll see it later anyway ;))

pv5H5Fn.jpg

Now that everything has been painted flat black, my plan is to use a hammered black on the barrel and folding stock to give it some texture. I gave the folding stock a light coat of Dy-Mark Hammered Black as a test and I think it looks OK.

XNmrFQK.jpg

ECLL6Su.jpg

The hammered finish does seem to have lighten the black, so I'm thinking about putting another light coat of flat (or satin?) black over the top? Light enough not to reduce the hammered effect.

It's going to look beautiful when it's finished.

Ā 

Ā 

Small update :)

Taped up everything that I didn't want a hammered finish on

uhZce96.jpg

Applied a light coat of hammered black

GNtszpG.jpg

I decided that I would also add a light coat of Rust-Oleum Satin Black over areas with hammered paint..

UrOYZbt.jpg

I've said it before and I will say it again, Beautiful.

Ā 

Ā