Altair's Resin Doopydoos E11 Build

Altair

This is yet another build thread for the Doopydoos resin kit but my first go at building an E11. For this build I will be making a few popular modifications so I'm interested in your feedback and suggestions :)

Instead of starting with the traditional brown box starting pic, I'll just skip straight to the good stuff!

Here's what you get in a doopys full resin kit...

7u5EoRh.jpg

The DD magazine leaves a lot to be desired, so I grabbed a replacement off gazmosis - Thanks Steve!

qGKTQ6e.jpg

To save a bunch of time trying to find all the right pieces for my modifications I grabbed an E11 completion set off T-Jay - Thanks Tino!

uJ43wi1.jpg

Also a local Garrison member hooked me up with a nice reticule finishing piece for the scope - Thanks Tim!

AiJ8Gn7.jpg

OK... so with most things gathered its time to start building!

• Like 1

I decided to start modifying the handle first by replacing the free/lock screw with a real screw that can be rotated.

xqzhQIr.jpg

Cut the screw down to size, grind off the resin screw and mark where to drill a hole

yimpIt2.jpg

Done! Simple and effective!

Yi0J8Ad.jpg

Next was the screw at the bottom of the handle

lKmJBsr.jpg

Drilled this out and replaced with a hexagon screw

9ummRmN.jpg

Moving onto the trigger, using a small nail and spring we can make this a functioning trigger :)

OzuF2bX.jpg

LVZ1m5S.jpg

Here is the final result

bXnCAwq.jpg

Squeezing the trigger

fdNTDKH.jpg

Lastly for the handle... make the selector switch rotatable using a nail

TObiHiw.jpg

kNixjGZ.jpg

More tomorrow....

A combination of products from Gazmosis and T-Jay, this is going to be a great looking E-11. Possibly the only thing missing will be Andy's cylinders, although I understand the Doopys can still look quite good.

Great start so far. Will be watching.

Oh, have you test fitted your trigger guard yet? Trigger may be sticking out too far, meaning you might need to shorten your spring.

• Like 1

OK, so a bit more progress... a few more pics!

Another popular mod - drilled out the blobs at the end of the barrel and replaced with hexagon screws

g30QMrF.jpg

Moving down to the other end we have our end cap. Two things regarding the end cap...

Replace the metal ring with a more accurate one

0ZGCrYC.jpg

Also my end cap was really loose as the square locks were too thin, so I decided to cut some small squares of ABS plastic and super glue them into the cap. Locks in much better now!

aE4HtIJ.jpg

uThQSco.jpg

Even though these will be mostly hidden by the folding stock I decided to drill out the holes on the barrel... was just in the moment :)

Co3yza5.jpg

Speaking of the folding stock, I cleaned this up a bit

qXjR4QO.jpg

Then I drilled out the holes on the bottom side and cut out an inlay to fit a metal bar

XnerGn0.jpg

jvxrcnJ.jpg

eApCinA.jpg

Good progress, John. It all looks so easy on your pictures. If the other parts from that set can be integrated so easy too, you're going to make a new speed record ;)

Just one thing: In your last two pictures it looks like you could hollow out a bit more of the folding stock. The inlay is clearly visible, but it makes the folding stock appear very thick at that section.

Edited by T-Jay

Thanks for the feedback Tino. I'll look at grinding it down a little more.

Your parts set and build thread is what speeds things up :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A bit of work on the magazine receiver, replaced the grub screw

qaC6AAN.jpg

6hTpmmR.jpg

Then had to thin the walls to fit the replacement magazine and cut the magazine down to size

EbtgKjw.jpg

Put a real screw on the counter

YvLg2nM.jpg

juil4lb.jpg

On to the scope now, more screws to replace here :)

Grind off the resin screws and replace with real ones. The larger screws are actually plastic but will be painted later!

gAeBoiy.jpg

rEtKjdP.jpg

What good is a scope without a rail? Whipped up a rail using Billhag's template

79D9NhU.jpg

V8UsfCl.jpg

Also decided to use a screw to hold in the back end

mU60M4d.jpg

Test fit - what do you think? Is this rail alright or off the rails? :D

hwRjEdW.jpg

iUWmOVw.jpg

That's enough for now... stay tuned troops

Hi John, it's really fun to see your fast progress.

Not sure if you used the correct grub screw on the magazine housing. There are two of them in the set: short (5mm) and long (10mm) and these have different diameters!

Can't surely tell from your pictures, but you might have mixed them up. Use the big one in the magazine housing, while the small one is for the front sight.

And the two metal screws in the scope front are to be placed a bit deeper inside (heads not outstanding).

Edited by T-Jay

A little more blaster building today....

The doopys inner bolt is positioned too high, so I plan to fix that with a piece of plastic

I5GsaWt.jpg

A bit of grinding and sanding to remove it

So67GAH.jpg

Cut the replacement to size. I haven't glued it yet - what do you think of size/positioning?

G88r58F.jpg