Build goofs that everyone has made

Might help a lot of new builds out there to see what we all have done- everyone can learn from these and avoid the same silly mistakes we all have made!  Everyone is human and can and have to laugh at ourselves sometimes.  The adrenaline rush and the excitement to get started and tear into the build can sure lead to a few mistakes.  Some costly, some not, but all are usually fixable!  

On this forum I have seen upside down ab buttons, scopes reversed, thighs turned sideways, etc.  

I made a bunch- 

Tube stripes backwards on one side of helmet

Rushed into trying to put on helmet stickers on tears and traps without using the soap and water method;  horrible job resulting in a re-order/re-do 

Did not see to cut posterior shin shims wider until after I cut and ran out of material!  

Punching holes for snaps too close together which you then cannot snap into;  

Incorrect rivets used on first try of ammo pack

Used the gloss black first on E-11 resulting in a total sand job

Took some initial pics with hand guards on wrong hands

Used too much glue on latex hand guards and ruined rubber gloves with spillover.  Had to cut off and re-do

Sure there are others I have tried to bury away that I am forgetting.  Anyone have any good ones to add?  

Oh my tube stripes-

ZgnJLMZ.jpg

Edited by Tusken RTT

I just painted the frown, then the vocoder, then started on the ear bits and while doing them rested the vocoder on my jumper!!

Thankfully it was just tacky and didn't smudge so a fresh coat smoothed it out.

Also the hot glue for the lenses got away from me slightly and melted the edge of one eye socket. Thankfully it turned out I hadn't cut them out nearly enough so the damage was easily cut out.

phew!

My first mistake was buying a used FX armor that was glued with ABS cement. The armor was part held with rivets, so

Had to order some parts to fix it a bit. With all the spare parts I bought, I would have a complete and nice looking new armor. Even now, after the holidays, I will order new legs from RT and my armor will be an RT-Mod, no more FX parts, except my bucket that is an AP. Can't forget talking about upgrading my FX bucket to a eFX. The worst part is that for the cost of an eFX helmet shipped in Canada, it was cheaper getting a AP lid.

In the end, my friend who sold me my armor, really did not want to screw me over, he thought he was doing something nice for me by selling it to me.

As my grandfather says: "It was not a mistake, it was a learning experience." Lol

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

I had 6 months waiting for armor to arrive, pretty much did all my homework by time I was ready to build it, read, read and read again, you can never do enough research ;)

first paint job on the teeth of my ATA bucket, I thought it looked great! 

-------------

upside down ab buttons on the MTK

screwed up and mixed up my shins at first.

ripped ammo pack off my leg on my dogs cage

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I can't count the number of times that I painted a part of the helmet, turn it to paint another part and putting my hand on fresh paint ...  I said a lot of very very bad words.

I also tried to glue parts without using green tape to maintain them together while gluing.  It was a mess ,,,  Again a lot of bad words ...  The trick is to tape tightly the parts together so my hands are free to put the glue and holding.

I riveted my thigh pack above the ridge originally. It looked so dumb attached to the actual thigh. 

I also put my shins together entirely wrong. The only person who eventually noticed was RT-MOD himself. 

At first I was too scared to rivet my belt the canvas belt and had it velcroed on. It can off with a SPROING! during a troop and landed in the grass at a charity walk. Hooray for the Hawaiian Sith Cheerleaders who are the best handlers in the Legion. I can be seen with my hands on my belt in the photos from that troop. 

My shoulder bridges gave me heartburn so in a fit of frustration I zap-a-gap'd them. That stuff is pretty runny. The CA glue drip can still be seen on my chestplate if you look closely. 

On my Vader build I recently riveted the saber hook on the belt backwards such that the hook was against my thigh. Oops. 

-Eric

Messed up the left ear and had to re-order. Cut the s-trim too short and had to re-order. Initially made the forearms and the thighs way too big and had to tear them all apart and re-do. I ordered the canvas belt before the armor arrived and it was too small... had to re-order that as well. At some point I superglued my fingers to the resin E-11 build. Didn't feel so great getting that off...

Cut more than I wanted off the bottom and sides of the cap/back and faceplate, cut more than I wanted off of the right ear and an odd one that I don't think I've seen anybody else do is cut the ammo box a bit shorter than normal.

I get a bit enthusiastic when it comes to cutting stuff I guess.

Well, for the armor build, I had my infamous technical difficulty in which I put not one, not two, not three, but four sewing machine needles in backwards after breaking the original one by trying to sew through sticky-back Velcro, webbing, and elastic.  I caused myself much stress and days of delay being mad at the "stupid machine" (but I did look good doing it, eh?).

bVAbnx6.jpg

8Y2WkLX.jpg

With the E-11...  There was the Bayonet lug that was very clearly pinned and two-part epoxied in place - upside down.

We definitely live and learn, don't we?

• Like 1

I ballsed up my first thigh ammo belt trying to heat bend it in the oven....sanded the tips of my mic tips down so the mesh had nothing to sit on,...and not TK related,..but I once glued the scope of my doopydoos DL-44 on backwards.

Honestly,..it's a wonder I can even dress myself in the morning!

I fell in love with the rapid set plasti-weld but found out you need scientific precision to apply it because it will destroy your finish on contact of it squeezes out. Too much = mess! Too little and the parts won't bond = must re sand all glue off and star over. Hard lessons learned

1. I paired two inner thighs and glued the cover strips. Had to remove them using a Stanley blade to cut out the glue.

2. Misaligned the three rivets on the kidney plate. Had to remove the rivets, drill new holes and fill the old holes with abs paste.

that was the " Ive had 6 vodka and cranberries and Im pissed that my boots arent here so let me go mess around with the blaster and not look at references while I do it" build on a friday night when the wife and I were fighting dancing-trooper.gif

• Like 1

that was the " Ive had 6 vodka and cranberries and Im pissed that my boots arent here so let me go mess around with the blaster and not look at references while I do it" build on a friday night when the wife and I were fighting dancing-trooper.gif

Did you realize it was wrong that night or discover it the next morning? :pint1: