fans and batteries.

Sorry for a silly question, but electronics are not my area of strength. I need a fan that I can run off of a 9v connection due to space limitations in my ATA bucket. I had a 5v fan that I hooked up to a 4xAA battery pack and it ran great. But, I could not fit the battery pack in my helmet. So, like a dope, I tried it with a 9v and burned up the fan. :blush: Back to the drawing board. I need to order a blower fan (which all seem to come from China...) and I need to decide on 5v versus 12v. Any guidance would be great. And I again apologize for my ignorance in this area.

I found 9v fans run out very quickly, I use 5v blower fans 5mm thick, I'm running them both on an RC car battery flat pack, these will run all day and easy to fit up the side of the bucket next to the ears ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for a silly question, but electronics are not my area of strength. I need a fan that I can run off of a 9v connection due to space limitations in my ATA bucket. I had a 5v fan that I hooked up to a 4xAA battery pack and it ran great. But, I could not fit the battery pack in my helmet. So, like a dope, I tried it with a 9v and burned up the fan. :blush: Back to the drawing board. I need to order a blower fan (which all seem to come from China...) and I need to decide on 5v versus 12v. Any guidance would be great. And I again apologize for my ignorance in this area.

I still use 12v fan with a 9v battery on short hot troops.  I have recently been using the 5v fan with 2x 2AA holders, that way you can put one battery pack in each cheek tube and you won't even notice its there.  Plus they last longer and much cheaper than a 9v battery.

May another noob ask for more info on what an echo (rogue?) fan setup is or how to acquire one? I'm learning that all these trade secrets are being cautiously protected from leaking to outsiders

If you look in the ongoing sale thread, you will find a topic that is called echo's fan system.

It's a fan system working with 4 AA batteries. It has the ability to have one or two fans working with with two switchs. Hard to describ if you don't see it.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

How is echos fan set up wired?

I have 2 5v fans 2 switches and 2 x AAx2 battery packs, would like it to run like Echos where i can isolate 1 fan if needed or run both.

A diagram would be awesome as i think it would help many others out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have an ATA kit, as well.  I cheated and got 2 12v computer fans from radio shack, and then ran 2 9v batteries on each of them in sequence with individual buttons so you can use one or both at any given time.  I just mounted them inside the lid on the bottom screw for the ear piece of the helmet.  The holes in the fan are close enough in size that they didn't need nuts or anything to keep them in place, and that way if I decided to vent the helmet I could just flip one of the fans over.  If I didn't need them, I just rotated them back inside the helmet out of view, but you can't really see them anyway.  So far I haven't burned out either fan, and it gets hot out here.  I use them quite a bit in the winter, too, to keep my lenses from fogging up.  

• Like 1

Excellent ideas there, I have all the bits and pieces, just need to install them now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I got my fans from evilbay, 5 fans and I think it was $6.00 Australian including post from China. 5 volt fans, 50mm, two wire, 15mm thick and they work very well.

I got my fans from evilbay, 5 fans and I think it was $6.00 Australian including post from China. 5 volt fans, 50mm, two wire, 15mm thick and they work very well.

Hey Andrew,

Can you post a link of the ones you bought? Are they quiet enough to run 2 under the lid?

I will check ebay and find the fans and add link.

They aren't too bad for noise, and make a big difference to comfort and visibility.

• Like 1

OK here we go, these are the fans you are looking for!   Ian

--------------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

You have two options, I think the $1.56 is for single and 5 x is dearer, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...