MTK Build - ANH Stunt

Tell me about it. Very frustrating. I guess this is a case of the CO is always right?? Lucky I have adjustable straps for my thighs so I'll have to suit up when I can, take some more pics and go again. Then hike them back up for my EIB application.

Ian everything looks great with your armor. I can't believe you weren't approved because of your thighs. I can see you really got the biceps to look proportional and they look great.

Did you redo the kidney plate notch to 22x22? Or did you leave it at the original listed size?

It's funny I must have missed the picture of the thigh garter you did. I did mine today and it looks almost identical to yours. I'm going to try and post pictures of mine later

Anyway keep us posted regarding your approval

Great outcome Ian!

Did your CO specifically state the top of the thighs or where it meets the shins? :blink:

To my eyes and comparing to the screen shot, I don't see where the top of the thighs are the problem... Let's give your CO a chance to elaborate. Maybe if you can, copy what he responded with.

Adam

Simple - drop the thighs down, take pics, get approval, then wear them how you wish.

Your thighs are not too high.  We can't see in that shot what the gap between the bottoms of your thighs and the tops of the knees are.  If that's too big, then you should drop down the thighs.  But that's an easy fix to get base approval from your CO.

Ian everything looks great with your armor. I can't believe you weren't approved because of your thighs. I can see you really got the biceps to look proportional and they look great.

Did you redo the kidney plate notch to 22x22? Or did you leave it at the original listed size?

It's funny I must have missed the picture of the thigh garter you did. I did mine today and it looks almost identical to yours. I'm going to try and post pictures of mine later

Anyway keep us posted regarding your approval

Thanks Steve. Yeah, much happier with the biceps and forearms now. Should have done it to start with. Cut out is still sitting at the 10x15 (I think) that was originally quoted or EIB. I'll see about increasing it when I apply for Centurion.

I actually changed my garter set up, buying a velcro based lower back support brace instead. The shoulder straps ensures it stays at the right height and the thighs are fully adjustable by using the velcro.

P1020268_zpscee211d2.jpg

P1020269_zps0575608a.jpg

Edited by Sith Lord

Great outcome Ian!

Did your CO specifically state the top of the thighs or where it meets the shins? :blink:

To my eyes and comparing to the screen shot, I don't see where the top of the thighs are the problem... Let's give your CO a chance to elaborate. Maybe if you can, copy what he responded with.

Adam

Simple - drop the thighs down, take pics, get approval, then wear them how you wish.

Your thighs are not too high.  We can't see in that shot what the gap between the bottoms of your thighs and the tops of the knees are.  If that's too big, then you should drop down the thighs.  But that's an easy fix to get base approval from your CO.

Thanks Adam & Ron. Funny thing was he also commented on a previous pic of mine showed NO GAP between the right thigh and shin, but then sent me this pic as a reference which appears to me to have no gap either. Oh well.....

TK-highrez_zps7b36dfa1.jpg

Anyway, as you say Ron, I managed to suit up by myself (for the first time) today and take some new pics. I think these ones, with the camera on a tripod at a better height look better anyway. Hopefully they will suffice for my CO.

P1020258_zps9d5aa72a.jpg

P1020263_zpsedd83823.jpg

The thighs are in the proper place in your new pic. Your shins can come down over your boots more. As Dizzy said, use the stirrup system, or put a piece of Velcro on the outside front of your boot and the inside of the shin to hold them down.

Haha, yes I might try that as with my first "self" kit up I struggled to bend down that low to adjust them. Made it harder with my boots as they have a wide opening.

I know what you mean!

I found a good way for myself to get the lower parts on.  After I get the thighs in place and strapped up, I put my boots on.  I twist the left thigh to the left, and the right thigh to the right, which gives me some more room to bend down and help with getting the boots on.  After that the shins go into place.  I bend over to the left to reach around the back of my left shin to attach the velcro, then I bend over to the right to reach around the back of my right shin.  After those are in place, I straighten myself out and adjust the thighs so they're in the proper position.

• 2 months later...

A quick wrap up of this thread to say, TK11409 reporting for duty! Well, I've already had 2 troops unapproved, but I can be official now  :)

Thanks for everyone's tips and advice during the build.

• Like 2

Congrats !

I think the thigh were indeed too high, but it should not be a reason to refuse the approbation since it can be easily adjusted and not that important, it was not like there was a problem with the build.  It should have been only a comment along with the approbation.

Edited by Spycee
  • Like 1

Man that was too long, the whole thigh thing, I don't understand, so an unfortunate delay. But now you are official , Awesome news.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ian! Buddy! Congratulations and yes we get speed bumps sometimes, but we make it happen.

Just like my shoulder bell to bicep straps...which the ESB CRLs clearly state are not part of the requirements for EIB or Centurion but I was held back because of it. However, whether its pet peeves or personal bias its not our call but our choice whether to continue or not. Glad to see you made it past the College of Approval part 1! :)

Now get out there and make your Garrison proud!

Next stop...EIB and beyond.

Adam

• Like 2

Question...how flexible is the back support belt to thigh support? Any armor bites?

BTW..the left bicep looks great!

Edited by toybiz

Thanks Alex, Andrew and Adam. Hmmm, AAA :D​ !

Question...how flexible is the back support belt to thigh support? Any armor bites?

BTW..the left bicep looks great!

It is quite flexible Adam. The idea of those back supports is to have them loose when you're walking around, then pull them up tight (the whole belt is velcro) when you need to bend or lift. I have it sitting quite snug - not so it flaps around under the armor, but not so it's too tight that causes tension. And with the shoulder straps, it can't fall down.

First 2 troops have been great. Troop 1 - had troubles with the calf closures. Ended up swapping out for Velcro. I just couldn't get the hooks right. Too tight, I couldn't get them on or off. Too loose and they kept coming undone. Troop 2 - no problems whatsoever, no loose bits, no bites, really comfy. Not quite "sit down comfy", as comfy as TK armor can be I think.

I am pleased I re-did the bicep and forearms. Looks so much better. Thanks. 

So, after adjusting my biceps and forearms I attended my first troop, took some updated pics and submitted to my CO for approval. The GML is away and the CO is looking after all approvals.

P1020232_zps4b8b9998.jpg

And I got rejected because my thighs are too high up! Comparisons below:

gallery_14191_18_106915_zps5be63e1b.jpg

med_gallery_14191_18_388910_zpsb8037c67.

Now I'm moving house, the armor is packed away and who knows when I'll get to it unfortunately.

I think you look great! Hopefully fortune allows you to go to Celebration VII next year and I can buy you a beer. Great perseverance to see this through, and the results are worth it. EIB next! :salute:

• Like 1

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the words.

I think you look great! Hopefully fortune allows you to go to Celebration VII next year and I can buy you a beer. Great perseverance to see this through, and the results are worth it. EIB next! :salute:

Thanks Paul. That would certainly be something fantastic to do. And I'll definately take you up on that beer!

• 2 weeks later...