MTK Build - ANH Stunt

• 4 weeks later...
Ok, been a bit slack here. I've been doing little bit by little bit and trying to take photos when I remember. So an update:

Nothing like a mini armor party on the mates dining table

P1020161_zps7ad9c2b3.jpg

Made up my own belt and snaps (but I've since later changed my method for hanging the thighs. Thanks VNB for the idea!)

P1020162_zps1e936c92.jpg

Cut the little notch (15x10mm) as per new EIB regulations. Doesn't quite suit the shape of my but piece now, but apparently that doesn't matter. And you can't see it at all when I have my belt on.

P1020183_zpsa87ea3e3.jpg

More.... (yesterdays post wouldn't work, so I'll try do it in several sections)

Elastic on the shoulder bells to go around the biceps

P1020189_zps9481f482.jpg

Velcro, not elastic attached to my thighs. These will stick onto a Velcro based back support/brace/belt (pics to come.....)

P1020190_zps7edd2340.jpg

And some padding going inside the forearms/biceps, etc. However I do need some thinner foam.

P1020188_zpsfe760cd2.jpg

Edited by Sith Lord

I've actually just today, changed out that grey padding. It was too thick. Some thinner stuff in there now.

Oh, added Velcro to the boots and shins. Seemed to work ok during a trial fit the other day. Haven't trooped yet, so time will tell.

P1020185_zps62bb9b10.jpg

P1020186_zpsd579c5a9.jpg

Anyway, that's where I'm at. Appreciate any comments, feedback, constructive criticism.

Oh, I will share with you all my first real complete trial fit. Sent these off to my GML in the hope to get pre-approval to troop this weekend at the annual Lego Expo. I did get approval. The only real comments he had were about my forearms and biceps being a bit big. Possibly correct, but also that the padding was out of place. You can see that my right forearm and bicep are hard up against my arm on the inside but flapping in the breeze on the outside. I think I'll play around with padding before I cut them apart and try to reshape/resize. 

P1020209_zps65deebb6.jpg

P1020207_zpsaf5b32b4.jpg

Again, any comments, suggestions, constructive criticism always appreciated.

Instead of using any padding just cut and resize them. overall it will be a better look as there will always be a gap with padding on. Plus movie TKs did not have padding they were fitted to the skin :)

It's looking great!  MTK has a nice set of armor there.  Get that TK number!  :D

When I did a full suit-up and saw my biceps were still too big, I tore 'em apart and cut them down to size.  I definitely suggest you do the same with your forearms and biceps.  You'll be much happier with the fit.  I found the best fit for my biceps was getting them sized where I didn't feel them around my arm unless I was flexing my muscles.  I also took the return edge off completely on the bottoms, and thinned down the return edge at the tops.  Certainly not a necessity, but it could help with comfort if those are causing an issue when you bring the biceps in more.

The velcro on the fronts of the boots works like a charm to keep the shins in place.  When I suited up for my approval pics, walked around the neighborhood, and had my first two-hour troop a couple of weeks ago, my shins always stayed in place.

Thanks Christian, Ron.

My concern or worry with cutting the arm any further is that with the MTK armor (not sure if others are similar) is that where the cover strip lip is (bottom of below pic) is very angular. (1), I'm at the limit of where the strip goes now. If I cut off any, I'll have to cut off the full 15mm plus any curved bits that may get in the way. If I do this both sides then I'm worried they will be too small. And (2), where the two halves join will be at a 90degree angle. I'm guessing I would need to severely heat bend these to get them to work.

P1020221_zps4a039fe4.jpg

The new padding I've put in is only 10mm thick and my arm is quite tight in there. I'll get some more pics of that and see what you all think.

Edited by Sith Lord

Hey Ian awesome job!  I've been slacking a little bit lately and haven't done too much browsing.  Man it really came together here and looks great! 

When I saw your notch there I realize now that I'm going to have to do the same thing.  The part that stinks about it is when your armor does not come with it already in it, I feel like your butt plate will never match up unless you cut it and redo the return edge.  I don't know if this is something that all armor makers will start trying to do with their armor on their end or will it be something that the builder will always have to do.

Anyway, good luck and have a good time at the lego expo.

"Cut the little notch (15x10mm) as per new EIB regulations. Doesn't quite suit the shape of my but piece now, but apparently that doesn't matter. And you can't see it at all when I have my belt on."

MTK armor now has the notches. Just made the change this weekend...
Edited by TK-4510

The powers to be will be most pleased Mike. It appears that the Detachment Staff are fighting amongst themselves, whether it should be there or not, and for what level of approval :)

I had my first troop on the weekend at the local Lego Expo. Went really well. As expected you can't see the notch behind the belt, so no big deal either way. A few adjustments to the arms. I took everyone's advice and re trimmed the biceps and forearms. Pics to come.

Thanks for the comments Steve!

Thanks Paul. My CO is waiting for our GML to get back from leave before giving me the nod. I re-trimmed the biceps, forearms, and have also just retrimmed the thighs a little too. He doesn't think there's any issues now. More pics (in better light) to come with those couple of mods.

:icon_beg:  :popcorn:

On pins and needles...but please share your latest fitting when you get a chance! Great following your build Ian and thank you for all the support and kind words during my build and EIB application... :duim:

I have always been a big supporter of MTK armor. This is one of the "smaller" armorers we have (not even on the list yet) yet he is risking the time to upgrade the look of his armor making it more accurate with little changes that make a big difference.....obviously! Keep it up, Mike!

• 2 weeks later...

So, after adjusting my biceps and forearms I attended my first troop, took some updated pics and submitted to my CO for approval. The GML is away and the CO is looking after all approvals.

P1020232_zps4b8b9998.jpg

And I got rejected because my thighs are too high up! Comparisons below:

gallery_14191_18_106915_zps5be63e1b.jpg

med_gallery_14191_18_388910_zpsb8037c67.

Now I'm moving house, the armor is packed away and who knows when I'll get to it unfortunately.