Haribon72's ANH Stormtrooper NE Hero Build

Haribon72

Thank you Diana and Jojo for visiting me and the family this past weekend.

I appreciate your help getting me back on my armor build and the helpful techniques.

I'm almost there for TK application status!

1511145_543550802454058_3649915811433910

• Like 1

We spent time working on the thighs and I will be using the strap brackets for the cod butt chest abs armor.

I currently using snap buttons and velcro to hold everything together.

Germain, I will be flatting the extra unused teeth.  I have an old heating iron that I will test on ABS scraps first before I touch the helmet.

Thanks guys for cheering me on!   :)

Edited by Haribon72

Here's how I completed the "stunt" frown to "hero" frown:

I used a quilters heating iron (small enough to get into the helmet and work in the tight space).

I don't know where my wife got it.   But... it works like a champ!!!    :jc_doublethumbup:

IMG_4190.JPGIMG_4192.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

1. Heat up the iron first (set on high).

2. Practice and test on ABS scrap pieces first.   I practiced for an hour before starting on the frown.

3. Flatten the inside slowly (only apply gentle pressure) until you see the frown bubble shape start..THEN STOP!

IMG_4202.JPGIMG_4194.JPG

4. Start to iron the bubble flat.  Shape and mold the frown area as flat as you can.   I used the side-to-side motion.  Iron slowly.

5. Don't worry if you see rigids and gets messy (or ugly).   We will sand the area later.

6. I thought about using a soldering iron, but it gets too hot and will melt a hole on the ABS.    I did a test piece before.   So never use a soldering iron.

IMG_4196.JPGIMG_4198.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

7. Keep ironing side to side.   And if you have to ....start ironing up and down (the idea is to mold to this final look).

IMG_4200.JPG

IMG_4199.JPG

Edited by Haribon72

8. Now its time to sand it out to get that smooth finish.   I used plumbers sanding mesh cloth and my small filing set (both can be purchased from your local hardwood store).

IMG_4204.JPGIMG_4203.JPG

IMG_4205.JPGIMG_4206.JPG

9.  Take your time sanding to the finish frown.  I sanded for about an hour.

10. You're done!    Now you're ready to paint the Hero frown (in my case I just need to paint the tips again).     I hope my quick tutorial with help fellow builders.  Good Luck!    Feel free to ask me for help.   :)

IMG_4211.JPGIMG_4213.JPG

So...just curious...how much time did you spend discussing your cod? Diana is the cod queen, you know!!

Since Walter refuses to answer the question, I will chime in.  Of course we discussed his cod!  We spent quite a bit of time on it.  Although, to be fair, we spent time discussing EVERY aspect of his armor.  It was a very productive night.  His cod had some hefty return edges which were causes him some... (cough)... discomfort.  We suggested trimming those back to make the cod fit more comfortably and allow easier ease of movement.  But, as you can tell from this thread, Walter is a rather brilliant builder, in his own right.  Runs in the family.  

• Like 1

9.  Take your time sanding to the finish frown.  I sanded for about an hour.

10. You're done!    Now you're ready to paint the Hero frown (in my case I just need to paint the tips again).     I hope my quick tutorial with help fellow builders.  Good Luck!    Feel free to ask me for help.   :)

IMG_4211.JPGIMG_4213.JPG

Nicely done, Walter!  I love what you did here!  The tutorial is very well done and I love the use of the mini iron versus ABS paste.  You've gotten me hooked on plumber's sandpaper now.  When I have to for a particular job, I'll put out another grit.  But, the plumber's sandpaper is the all-around champ for use on ABS.  I love the stuff.

• Like 1