WideAMG's RS Props PVC ANH stunt build

biceps from RS before trimming

w76s.jpg

z05w.jpg

trimmed quite a bit of the return edge since they are not visible. I left some return on the top rear edge to give some thickness when my arms are bent.

ojon.jpg

tnga.jpg

z0ks.jpg

puo6.jpg

left ample room for bending, will glue strips and do the final trimming after everything is fitted. 

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

cutting the 15mm strips for the biceps and forearms.

9nnh.jpg

xh6s.jpg

9qgu.jpg

forearms before trimming, lots of return edge that needs to go.

hnuq.jpg

ob9m.jpg

test fit reveals a lot of overlap so I begin with trimming the raised seam on top. Allowing 7mm from the raised edge of each side to permit gluing of the 15mm strip.

m28r.jpg

ucu7.jpg

taping up the butt seam for now. strips will be glued after final fitting.

m0en.jpg

5eha.jpg

the top of the forearms has limited trimming so I did that first

wndc.jpg

muct.jpg

adding some curvature to the inside top forearm for mobility. may cut more for screen accuracy later.

5trn.jpg

my35.jpg

cut the obvious flashing off the shoulder bells.

rhgs.jpg

sokc.jpg

trimmed the return edge. taped up the elastic straps for now.

sxyk.jpg

1uu7.jpg

j9pq.jpg

it's been mentioned that the shoulder bells are symmetrical but on the RS bells there is clearly a more bulbous side on each bell. after trying a few combinations its clear that having the larger bulbous side in front aligns the center ridge better with the biceps ridges.

8g7d.jpg

shoulder elastics

these are the elastics that come from RS.

iuob.jpg sht2.jpg

I sanded the chest plate location where the elastic is to be glued to provide a good surface for adhesion. wiped the area with isopropyl alcohol to clean.

dykm.jpg

applied E-6000 to the surfaces and clamped until cured (24hrs)

64ou.jpg

j1n6.jpg

applied E-6000 to the other end and glued it to the back plate.

xj7o.jpg

attached the elastic for the right side ab plate

3dj5.jpg

uxq9.jpg

applied E-6000 to the snap plate

ui0y.jpg

also let it cure for 24hrs

6liq.jpg

qgm7.jpg

going to try out the Under Armour heatgear as the under suit. will have to black out the logos

gybh.jpg

os8k.jpg

first test fit.

the forearms are not attached and sitting too low.

the shoulders are not trimmed and seem a little big. the straps should be shortened.

the butt plate flares out too much at the sided. may have to move the brackets outward to bring it in.

other comments?

ep9a.jpg

aytx.jpg

6i86.jpg

I would say it's more your biceps being too high than your forearms sitting too low.

For the butt plate i guess you could leave it like that, or use boiling water to slightly reshape it, or even use white duct tape like the trooper on the left

vlcsna11.jpg

YOur forearms could always be adjusted when you attach the strap between the bicep and forearm. Before you go farther on your belt, it looks like it is sagging in the middle. You might want to reconsider your snaps to tighten that up

before attaching your waist belt

Thanks for the comments

Tolo

Mastercraft tools in every Canadian shred :)

Horseman

Biceps are taped to the shoulder straps, maybe if I use bicep hooks then the biceps will come down.

Hot water sounds like a good option. Not sure about using duct tape

92al.jpg

Gazmosis

The belt does sag. I am using the snaps in the ab plate from RS and the belt also had the rivets already set from RS. I will prefit the ammo belt before attaching it to the canvas

OK switching gears a little. decided to start the bucket.

here is the RS bucket, bumpy cap, eye bump, wavy tears and all.

r3ym.jpg

starting with the teeth I took a dremel with sanding tube to sand down the top edge from behind.

epsx.jpg

actually I found that this didn't work so well. kinda pushed the material around rather than remove it. tried different speeds as well.

changed to the dremel cutting bit with better success.

1q4q.jpg

used a flat needle file for the edges. I see some have rounded edges but I see the original teeth more like rails between the upper and lower lips. sharp corners would give this effect.

qquh.jpg

yi6c.jpg

bjzc.jpg

teeth done

8l1k.jpg

eyes are rough cut with the dremel cutting tool again

nzsu.jpg

eyes trimmed. RS does not provide enough material for a good return edge on the eye sockets. my only complaint so far.

qlnj.jpg

the view within

uahm.jpg

bought some gel insoles for the boots. these have a thick sole which should lift me up a little. I am getting close to the ideal 5'10" height of the original stormtroopers.

(I wonder if there will ever be a higher level than centurion where troopers are the screen-correct height and weight :unsure:)

uzwz.jpg

qf9z.jpg

the thighs out of the box has lots of extra material to accommodate bigger sizes.

I drew a line at 9mm from the raised edge to allow for gluing the 20mm cover strip up front.

27ju.jpg

3t55.jpg

lots of overlap in the back after the initial fitting. Will cut it down after fit test.

myfd.jpg

hffp.jpg

pfrc.jpg

also trimmed the front of the lower legs for a butt joint and the 20mm cover strips. the return on the top of the shins need to be trimmed down for comfort.

tk3t.jpg

z7p3.jpg

rj5t.jpg

s75g.jpg

some funny mismatching going on at the bottom but no worries since it has to be cut down to fit over the boots.

qy3s.jpg

First full fit test.

the forearms and thighs are not strapped up so they are still sitting low.

this is such an important step, I need to take my time to make sure the mobility, comfort and gapping is correct before cutting and gluing.

gdbj.jpg

7i3e.JPG

c2fi.JPG

nq1n.jpg

its taken me six weeks to get to this point working a bit each night. i'd like to progress faster but silly things like work, feeding the children and washroom breaks are getting in the way ;)

As mentioned the PVC is softer then the ABS. This shows that after scoring with an exacto blade the PVC bends instead of snaps. For the beginner this is nice stuff to work with.
2lri.jpg

01wr.jpg

backside of coverstrip is sanded for better adhesion
nc3u.jpg

bicep is taped on the inside to maintain alignment and prevent E-6000 from oozing in. Bicep surface is also sanded for adhesion.
n665.jpg

Generous amounts of E-6000 applied to cover strips.

cd6b.jpg

Both biceps halves glued at the same time
sp4v.jpg
i9wl.jpg

Nice clean seam on the inside once tape is removed.
7gu7.jpg

If you don't put enough glue then this is what happens. Not a big deal, just add more glue and re-clamp.
dunl.jpg

shins done the same way
ps7k.jpg
rnjv.jpg
mdur.jpg
4jwy.jpg

Great progress! Keep using originals for reference.

About the shoulder bells, they were never symmetrical on the originals. Anyone who say they should be is either a fool or thinking of inaccurate armour. Brian Muir who sculpted the suits has always said all parts had unique left and right hand sides.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Great progress, i love the tip of writing the onset gluing time on tape near the cover strip  :P

Great progress! Keep using originals for reference. About the shoulder bells, they were never symmetrical on the originals. Anyone who say they should be is either a fool or thinking of inaccurate armour. Brian Muir who sculpted the suits has always said all parts had unique left and right hand sides. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Yes and the fact some armor makers have same shoulder bells for both shoulders just drives me crazy!! You can't adapt rightly a right shoulder bell on the left shoulder, it's just impossible!! Grrr, i hate the AP shoulder bells...

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys thanks for the comments.

forearms trimmed, taped on the inside, sanded, alcoholed and glued.

uqys.jpg

hqyn.jpg

shins with overlap needing removal, gluing and clamping.

ctpg.jpg

46up.jpg

km72.jpg

sniper plate before trimming.

gmzu.jpg

The sniper plate is an odd fit. Only three small contact points. Applied liberal amounts of E6000 and clamped.

wqh1.jpg

ezmi.jpg

Thighs required a lot of trimming.

mpk1.jpg

svwi.jpg

zpdl.jpg

6waw.jpg

Applied E6000 to the few contact surfaces between the shoulder straps and chest plate.

cqc6.jpg

h1pb.jpg

After 24 hour curing this proved to be not enough adhesion. Had to clean it up and start again.

31ni.jpg

Cut scrap pieces to build up the valleys. Opted for a stronger adhesive since I don't need to reposition these pieces later.

5nvv.jpg

v5bc.jpg

25mm strips on the rear of the thighs.

v64r.jpg

knee pack uncut

bbso.jpg

edges trimmed to 3-5mm

qtvv.jpg

gp36.jpg

corner radius'd (too small)

0l3h.jpg

q3rm.jpg

increased radius to be more visually accurate.

gdcr.jpg

holes drilled for split rivet

drrm.jpg

k7qm.jpg

assembled onto thigh

pnz6.jpg

jcxz.jpg

31y5.jpg

ejbb.jpg