WideAMG's RS Props PVC ANH stunt build

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

using the same guide for the ab buttons

k8o4.jpg

I didn't have a template for the buttons and I couldn't find a punch the right size so I used the contour of the raised buttons to trace a painting border. Matched the diameter of the originals.

3w75.jpg

ubxw.jpg

65cr.jpg

5fyy.jpg

glued the plates to the ab with E-6000

u5j5.jpg

5gh1.jpg

using the RS-supplied original-style straps for the lower leg closure. I matched up the hole locations from the reference pics

b74h.jpgq1sn.jpg

0h45.jpgvhqo.jpg

drilled 5/32 holes for the hooks. ensure holes and hooks are concealed by rear cover strip when closed.

0x8u.jpg

10gi.JPG

straps as supplied by RS. test fitted into holes.

2bmm.jpg

ex6b.jpg

halves are butt jointed for centurion (might not be necessary in the rear). straps lined up and glued inside. allow 1 inch unglued for tension.

ogtz.jpg

z7hm.jpg

orientation of hooks is open-end towards the body.

0p5o.jpg

ex6b.jpg

Damn, that picture scared me! I was hoping "please, i hope he hadn't glued his hooks this way!", the rest of the post reassured me  ^_^

So far, you're creating the best build thread i've read! Keep up like that :duim:  

Thanks for the feedback. I just hope that my build, however basic, helps out some people. Almost complete so stay tuned.

Attaching the drop boxes

I didn’t want to glue or rivet the boxes together or to the belt. I wanted more adjustment and usable space for later. I decided to use Velcro. I have industrial strength Velcro from my thighs and arm attachments which I will use for the drop boxes, a little overkill since the boxes are light but I have extra so no harm done.

ypzm.jpg

Need several pairs of matching hook and loop pieces. Size is not critical as long as they fit within the straps.

t5iu.jpg

The Velcro has adhesive backing already attached.

n6ml.jpg

First attached a hook piece to the inside of the front drop box and a matching loop piece to the end of a strap. Remember to heat and seal the end of the strap to avoid fraying. Attached them together.

jgee.jpg

d753.jpg

Added another piece to the back of strap inside and matched the other strap end.

obrv.jpg

I now have a velcro’d loop that can be detached from the box anytime.

h3d1.jpg

I wrapped the loop through the belt to check for length.

nuam.jpg

When I put the back of the drop box on you can see that I sits high due to interference with the straps. Simply cut out an opening for the straps.

gxw4.jpg

lcs0.jpg

s7dc.jpg

gfyc.jpg

f8fj.jpg

fadt.jpg

Now the back sits flush and straps are cleanly inside.

ubyh.jpg

Drop boxes are to be positioned in line with the outer edge of the ammo belt as shown in this guide and screen shots

u585.jpg

ytsu.jpg

ksx3.jpg

On the RS belt the outer rivet interferes with the inside drop box strap so it needs to be notched to provide clearance

ye27.jpg

Added another set of Velcro under the strap to belt to secure it in place. (just showing the pieces, not the final location)

zy4h.JPG

Finished location of the drop boxes

xa4e.jpg

sf3h.jpg

im62.jpg

Here is the original belt

0b6b.jpg

I haven’t determined a final method for attaching the box halves together. Just using magnets for now until I figure out their usefulness. Maybe lithium packs for fans can go inside?

9gcj.jpg

Harness for thighs

Again industrial strength Velcro, this time in black.
se69.jpg

Simple harness as included in the kit from RS. Adjustable for waist size (I’m a 33 waist pre-buffet, need to do laps around the death star after the holidays)
ctyt.jpg

Attached Velcro to the INSIDE of the harness near the front. I aligned them with the highest part of the thigh geometry. I used the hook section of the Velcro on my harness but I hindsight it’s better to use the loop (soft) section so as not to rub against the body suit.
3upd.jpg
fzbz.jpg
z4yc.jpg

Attached a Velcro strip (loop) to the end of the black thigh strap.
ekqp.jpg
j7qf.jpg

Cleaned and attached the matching Velcro strip to the inside of the thigh. The adhesive backing supplied on the Velcro is sufficient.
Attached the strips to the thighs. You can adjust the length after.
wmp7.jpg
t6j9.jpg
jvbc.jpg
2nmb.jpg

Put on the harness and pulled the thighs on. Simply tucked the strap underneath the harness and pressed down to secure. You can adjust the straps on the top or bottom to fit.
v499.jpg
d6uo.jpg

Crotch tab rivet

The two male snaps are already installed on the butt plate from RS. Just need to install the crotch split rivet (for centurion) and strap. This is the only reference pic I have found for the location of the crotch tab rivet.
zkrx.jpg

Visually pic the location for the rivet. Mark, pilot and drill hole for split rivet.
pql5.jpg
evdk.jpg

A leather hole punch is perfect for making the hole in the strapping for the rivet. Applied a little heat to the strap hole to seal the new cut edges.
xo69.jpg

Assembled rivet and strap.
y7q0.jpg
4nm3.jpg
pjyd.jpg

The length you will need will vary from person to person so I kind of guessed based on other RS builds similar to my size. Don’t cut the strap length until after fitting in case you need to lengthen. I am not going to paint the rivet since the original was not painted.
787k.jpg
h6xj.jpg

Up to this point I was worried about the butt hanging down but the crotch strap fixed it right up :jc_doublethumbup:
ayzw.jpg uoyy.jpg

Agreed. Even though the CRL says the crotch rivet is not required for basic approval or EIB and doesn't need to be functional for Centurion I believe it is necessary and very important.

Agreed. Even though the CRL says the crotch rivet is not required for basic approval or EIB and doesn't need to be functional for Centurion I believe it is necessary and very important.

Almost no strapping is mentioned in any CRL. That doesn't mean you don't need it. ;)

Arm Strapping

trying to keep the original look of the bicep to shoulder relationship. The shoulder strap is inline with the top inside edge of the bicep. this works for my fit so it will be my anchor point.

e6n2.jpg

xwda.jpg

placed a strip of Velcro between the shoulder strap and the bicep.

k9o7.jpg

for the bicep to forearm I used a strip of black strapping with Velcro on each end

8c74.jpg

xldd.jpg

qn2v.jpg

n3uw.jpg

870m.jpg

I kept in mind the rotation so that the edges lined up during assembly

m8k8.jpg

assembled

qho4.jpg

wu4q.jpg

Holster Attachement

used this guide but the screen shots show the rivets further to the rear. Approx 40mm from the ammo belt edge.

35mb.jpg

oqbc.jpg

marked the rivet locations

h7hw.jpg

nsut.jpg

pdhz.jpg

punched the holes for the Chicago screws with a leather hole punch

jw5z.jpg

as you can see the rivet locations are not the same as the locations supplied on the RS belt.

d9jz.jpg

5ytg.jpg

here is the original belt that RS has. You can see that their original belt has the holster riveted in the middle. I don't know the origin of that belt but probably not ANH

g4l5.jpg

transfered the location to the holster and punched out with leather hole punch.

uchc.jpg

1cpt.jpg

n6tm.jpg

attached the screws

868m.jpg

2pa3.jpg

here it is installed. the canvas belt is a little high in the back in this pic but I think the holster location looks good.

pp0g.jpg

OK here are the pics for critiquing my full kit.

these are issues I already know about

- hovi mics have been adjusted to not point up so much

- ears have been trimmed down

- biceps look oversized but side views show that they are snug

- the lower legs are attached with original strapping but it doesn't close tightly, may need to supplement with Velcro

- I forgot the TD for the pics

- no blaster yet, just using a Hasbro

- undersuit logo showing upper back

feel free to comment for centurion approval.

fire away.

cdhy.jpg

f74x.jpg

ed6f.jpg

helf.jpg

3mbb.jpg

lsa8.jpg

kxo3.jpg

I wouldn't worry much about the back of the shins. Personally I'd rather use accurate enclosure and small gaps than velcro that might not work and/or make noise  when it gets forced open by flexing shin muscles. The mic tips also look good to me. The biceps could be a little slimmer, but over all you look just about ready for centurion. :duim:

Yep, you look fantastic! :duim:

Perhaps you could just even the top of the thighs back cover strips:

med_gallery_12157_15_2547.jpg med_gallery_12157_11_139412.jpg

Also try to heatbend a bit the butt plate ends to avoid too much flaring out.

And move the sticker which is inside your left shin, i can see it on your back shot  ^_^

• 2 weeks later...

Steve- You look amazing! Having followed this build since the beginning, it is amazing to see you're nearly done.  Thanks for the detailed info and pics on the RS strapping system.  Just trying to figure all of that out and needed a reference.  Your build pics had exactly what I needed to puzzle out which strap goes where.  Thanks again.  

great news. my build has been accepted by the 501st. thanks to all that contributed with their comments :smiley-sw013:

I hope that my build helped out some people. so many great builds on this site, so much talent.

once I complete my blaster and get better pics I will be applying for EIB and aiming for Centurion :salute:

90cr.JPG

Edited by WideAMG