WideAMG's RS Props PVC ANH stunt build

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, but solid domed rivets are allowed for Centurion. So split rivets won't prevent you from getting the CENT approval :).

Have you set the inner rivet in the thigh ridge too?

However, i won't rely too much on the main belt template from Billhag. The side caps placement is wrong. They should be almost edge to edge with the belt ends and not centered. This would be more accurate but also allow the drop boxes to rigthly line up with the belt ends.

3 factors influenced my decision to use a solid head split rivet to attach the ammo pack to the thigh:

1. there are no references in the FISD references that show the inside profile of the rivet

2. current CRL for ANH stunt states:

For level three certification (if applicable):

Thigh ammo belt must be attached to thigh with a solid head rivet or fastener in the upper corner and fastened to the lower thigh ridge. Standard pop rivets are not allowed

3. I did (incorrectly) follow another centurion build who used split rivets for his approved build.

Germain,

Thanks for clarifying that this wont affect Centurion approval. I may change this but the hole for the split rivets are too big for the solid domed/cap rivets.

Not sure which inner rivet you are referring to.

Not sure which inner rivet you are referring to.

Just the second rivet that goes through the thigh but on the inner half ;)

It's important to have this one located on the bottom ridge of the thigh too.

3 factors influenced my decision to use a solid head split rivet to attach the ammo pack to the thigh:

1. there are no references in the FISD references that show the inside profile of the rivet

3. I did (incorrectly) follow another centurion build who used split rivets for his approved build.

You're right. I haven't asked RS if I can add their pictures to our galleries. But they have a picture on their facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150515780229333.386994.265114729332&type=3

393833_10150515780959333_1460650600_n.jp

As for following other centurion threads, I generally don't recommend that for the very reason you have mentioned. You risk repeating other peoples mistakes.

the canvas belt from RS comes with the snaps to the ab plate already installed and the locations for the other rivets marked out.

hqva.jpg

the location for the holster screws are also marked.

mef3.jpg

front side of the canvas belt and where the snap heads line up/and hidden with the ammo blocks.

g620.jpg

indentation @ location for center rivet on ammo belt

onmx.jpg

drilled hole for rivet and pierced canvas belt.

553u.jpg

set the rivets for all locations before attaching.

nueg.jpg

would be interesting in hearing from others on the best way to pierce/drill a hole through the canvas for the rivets. I used a small drill but it didn't give great results.

ammo to canvas belt riveted on.

6uwn.jpg

ey5z.jpg

buttons glued on the hide the rivets. as shown on my page 1 a gap to the edge is set as per Han's suit.

hcfo.jpg

Good thing to see a RS belt with the end caps at the right place  :)

Just watch out, the rivets location for the holster provided by RS is wrong. They should be place on the 1/3 inferior of the belt not in the middle like they indicate.

good advice guys.

back to the bucket. flashing on the rear half to trim.

4qm0.jpg

8x8a.jpg

8h03.jpg

brow trimmed to length and installed to provide the offset from front face.

some of the original brows did not extend to the back of the traps but I like it all the way back.

i4cz.jpg

gn7i.jpg

forehead trimmed

hl7n.jpg

test fitted with magnets.

gap between eyes and brow vary between "surprised" and "mean", I balanced it so I can lower it later if I want.

lots of gaps on the lower tubes but to maintain symmetry this is how it is.

esh1.jpg

udw9.jpg

one rivet for ears on each side

dymz.jpg

ebcf.jpg

eo6g.jpg

deph.jpg

rivet on bottom of ear. making sure its positioned where it will be hidden by the ear pieces.

09r1.jpg

tgvj.jpg

r69k.jpg

there is an indentation for the rivet on the front face provided by RS. I found this is too close to the tear and didn't use it. made sure that the ear piece will hide it.

961d.jpg

udok.jpg

czmf.jpg

the gap on the right side tubes look way too big but the ear pieces will hide it.

untrimmed ears.
tmit.jpg

RS provided hand drawn cut marks. not sure if they are good for my assembly so I ignored them.
xdu3.jpg
m5nq.jpg
k3xt.jpg

no real way to explain this but just kept trimming a little at a time until the contour and thickness was correct.
xbp7.jpg
kept referencing pics of the originals.

the ears have indentations for the rivets. they look a little off from my reference pics but I used them because I needed the countersink for the screws.
tu6m.jpg
ptf2.jpg

installed the 'S' seal to determine the bottom trimming of the ears.
2ti4.jpg
kx6l.jpg
g5dd.jpg

screwed
2mli.jpg
kdni.jpg

assembled.
p5jy.jpg
54pl.jpg
xqv4.jpg

my eerie 'ghost trooper' test fit :smiley-sw013:
pil4.jpg

had to move the build upstairs during the holidays to re-introduce myself to my wife and kids.

onto painting...

automotive pinstriping 1/8" for the border.
5j0e.jpg

applied after first coat of humbrol grey #5. corners are too tight to bend so the pinstripe needs to be cut.
o4ez.jpg
z8oh.jpg
d0z3.jpg

1/8" is too thick so during the second coat I painted over the pinstripe to reduce the thickness and give the hand painted look.
0n7k.jpg
71no.jpg

traps and tears.
t33y.jpg
35pj.jpg

ears were harder to do but with a little trimming it will look better than this.
1mnm.jpg

Trooperbay templates for tube stripes and some extra masking.
oqqu.jpg
t3tt.jpg
qw66.jpg

now this step is important. even if you think that the template has complete contact and no edges are lifted it is a good precaution to first apply a thin coat of white to seal the edges. let it dry.
62je.jpg

then apply humbrol Mediterranean Blue #48
brzg.jpg
vxsl.jpg

Trooperbay templates for the traps and tears.
58zy.jpg
qu19.jpg

used humbrol #85 Coal Black
pmn0.jpg
9u9y.jpg
wyrp.jpg

this is what happens when I don't do as I say and forget a base coat first.
fu0l.jpg
salvageable with more grey paint and a thin brush.

not sure about the pinstriping idea because of the visible painted edge. I may remove it and hand paint it :unsure:

you need a round brush to properly paint the vocoder. #8 or #10 brush??? I had neither and all kits are a little different so I just took a close sized brush and cut a round shape with scissors to match the thickness of my particular vocoder stripes.
6mtw.jpg

finished painting... but may tweak more.
5i8e.jpg

mnzg.jpg

Edited by WideAMG

Add more pointyness to the frown. Yours is kind of cut off. You would also benefit from slimming down the ears a bit. But overall, a very nice job on the helmet. :)

http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/36-helmet-frown-a-new-hope-stunt/

med_gallery_12157_36_21761.jpg

Nice job!

As Mathias said, the frown ends need to be more pointy. Also i'm not sure about the pinstraps as it is right now, maybe if you cut it in half to avoid having to paint over it, or just go handpainting the whole way.

And i have to say that i always though the "French Blue" wasn't the proper blue and looking at your "Mediterranean Blue" it looks pretty obvious to me that this one is clearly better! If someone knows: is the "French Blue" from a specific reference of an original helmet?

PS: Your mic tips are funny, they look... erected  :D !

And i have to say that i always though the "French Blue" wasn't the proper blue and looking at your "Mediterranean Blue" it looks pretty obvious to me that this one is clearly better! If someone knows: is the "French Blue" from a specific reference of an original helmet?

French blue is the most commonly used paint, but others have been used successfully. TM has used Mediterranean blue before, but I think switched to flat blue later. There is no "proof" that French blue is the correct paint, just that it is a good match, compared to other paints, most of which are too dark.

French blue is the most commonly used paint, but others have been used successfully. TM has used Mediterranean blue before, but I think switched to flat blue later. There is no "proof" that French blue is the correct paint, just that it is a good match, compared to other paints, most of which are too dark.

Thanks for the input Mathias. I think i will change for an other blue in this case.

Thanks for the input Mathias. I think i will change for an other blue in this case.

I think I would go for #25 Matt blue if I would paint a new helmet or redo my stripes.

I will extend the frown and make it pointed. although I will not do the 'joker' smirk as seen on one of the originals :P

0cgh.jpg

agreed that the pinstripe is not a good idea unless you use the proper thickness. I will trim or hand paint.

ears can be brought down a little more.

I used the holes casted in by RS for the mics. although the hole location appears correct I need something to adjust the direction of the mics, I assume some bevelled washers can be used.

I used TK-1650's reference diagram for the color selection.

k8o4.jpg

I will extend the frown and make it pointed. although I will not do the 'joker' smirk as seen on one of the originals :P

0cgh.jpg

Indeed, funny one ^_^

Even though i think it might be a sandtrooper regarding the tear painting.

I used TK-1650's reference diagram for the color selection.

k8o4.jpg

Ooh, it's has been updated since the last time i saw it!! That's cool  :)