Original strapping on ATA abs?

Hello everyone! Have any of you troops out there used the original strapping brackets on an ATA abs kit? Have you trooped with it?

I'm in the process of building my ATA kit and I'm seriously considering going with the original hardware. I know from what I have read and seen that there is the possibility of cracking as a result of using this method. I used a snap system on my HIPS kit and that has worked out great on troops but I wanted to try the brackets on my next build.

Does the ATA kit, being a thick abs, make it better suited for the brackets or worse?

Thanks!

I have helped a few with the original bracket system but also use the snap and elastic for more support. Some RS squad members have had issues with the brackets causing cracks, yes ATA is thicker but didn't want to run the risk so we just use original bracket system for show

I don't know, I gave you his username for you to ask him.

I will, thanks!

I have helped a few with the original bracket system but also use the snap and elastic for more support. Some RS squad members have had issues with the brackets causing cracks, yes ATA is thicker but didn't want to run the risk so we just use original bracket system for show

It is a risk...it's almost like you have to if you have an RS. lol.

What to do?...hmm

I would guess RS armour that cracks would be PVC which is more rigid than ABS. I would guess the 1.5mm ABS RS uses is very similar to my ABS and it is a lot more flexible than 1.5mm PVC which feels like my acrylic capped ABS. 1.5mm is very rigid but you can bend it with force unlike 1.5mm ABS which bends very easily and far better suited for the original strapping.

I just want to stress the original strapping works better than any other system as long as you have the correct ABS. I am not familiar with ATA ABS but at 2mm I would say it is not suitable.

I just want to stress the original strapping works better than any other system as long as you have the correct ABS. I am not familiar with ATA ABS but at 2mm I would say it is not suitable.

Thanks for the info Paul! You would certainly know. I thought that might be the case as far as the thickness was concerned. I've only just started the build, so there still a ways to go till I get to the strapping phase. I was hoping to hear from someone who has tried it on an ATA kit but the lack there of might be an indicator. I searched through the centurion thread but didn't see any ATA/original strapping combos.

On 9/27/2013 at 12:48 AM, Locitus said:

svache has it on his AP and troops with it.

On 9/27/2013 at 1:34 AM, coffintanker said:

Thanks Mathias. I wonder how it's held up?

I just replied to the PM but figured I'd reply in here as well, just in case someone else wants to know what I thought of it :)

Anyways, Matthias is correct, I do have the original brackets in my AP and, honestly, I love it. Since the AP is one of the smaller armors, and I'm one of the bigger troopers (lol), the armor is a bit tight to get into sometimes and the spots that have snaps (such as the shoulder bells) sometimes pop off. I can imagine this might actually happen with other parts if not for the original brackets. 

I am pretty rough to my armor and sometimes throw it around (seriously lol). Any scratches I get from this I just regard as battle damage, so it's not like I handle my armor with extra care. However, the armor never cracked or shows any signs of strain, not even at the spots where the brackets are. Personally I love the brackets and I think I would have had more issues with my armor if I'd go with the snaps instead.

For those interested, here are some pics of the inside of my armor:

--------------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

On 9/28/2013 at 5:31 AM, svache said:

I just replied to the PM but figured I'd reply in here as well, just in case someone else wants to know what I thought of it :)

Anyways, Matthias is correct, I do have the original brackets in my AP and, honestly, I love it. Since the AP is one of the smaller armors, and I'm one of the bigger troopers (lol), the armor is a bit tight to get into sometimes and the spots that have snaps (such as the shoulder bells) sometimes pop off. I can imagine this might actually happen with other parts if not for the original brackets. 

I am pretty rough to my armor and sometimes throw it around (seriously lol). Any scratches I get from this I just regard as battle damage, so it's not like I handle my armor with extra care. However, the armor never cracked or shows any signs of strain, not even at the spots where the brackets are. Personally I love the brackets and I think I would have had more issues with my armor if I'd go with the snaps instead.

For those interested, here are some pics of the inside of my armor:

---------------

Thanks Jeroen - how hard was this to do? I'm just wondering what the time investment may be estimated to be if one retrofited an existing set of armor. I'm very curious to see how this will hold up on ATA.

Edited by gmrhodes13

I've been working with the ATA kit for a few days now, knocking out the initial trimming and I'm surprised at how much flex it has. Now, I'm not comparing it to TM or RS etc., just saying that for being 2mm, It's not as stiff as I thought it would be. That being said, I won't know the effects till I install the brackets. I should say IF I install them. As it stands right now, seeing as I already have them, I think I'm going to use them.

Perhaps if someone out there has already used them on an ATA kit specifically, they might chime in before I get to it. Otherwise, I may be the guinea pig.

Thanks Jeroen - how hard was this to do? I'm just wondering what the time investment may be estimated to be if one retrofited an existing set of armor. I'm very curious to see how this will hold up on ATA.

Mike (Trooperbay) has a video up on YouTube showing how he installs them on a kit he's building. Type trooperbay in the search bar on youtube.

• 2 months later...

I'm working with an ATA kit as well, and I'm wondering the same thing.  I'm almost at the strapping stage, well.. maybe a month away at the rate I'm going, and I want to use the accurate bracket method too.  My main concern is with the ATA back, butt and kidney pieces, that have very little return edge where the holes need to be drilled. I've noticed RS and TM have much larger return edges on the torso pieces.  The ATA chest and ab/cod pieces look like they've got plenty of 'meat' for drilling holes for the brackets, but I'm not so sure about the back half...    

Sometimes the brackets aren't placed exactly on the return edges but in the corner, so you don't need that much of a return edge

------------

And sometimes they even aren't placed at all on the return edge, like the one near the date on the pic below:

gallery_12157_16_34895.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13

Your screws don't necessarily have to be on the return edges as Germain says. The main thing is to have them in the correct locations.

That is great to know. Thanks so much Germain and Paul for the info! I'll definitely be using the brackets.  

Danny, I'll post pics here and let you know how it works out when I get there.  Thanks again, guys!

• 1 month later...

Is there a diagram showing the correct locations? I too will be using this on ATA armor when my name is called.. But for now just research and buying parts for the new build

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not eally, but you can make out the locations if you look at pictures of the original armour: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/gallery/album/16-lucas-film-archives-joer/