Heat Venting

After a number of troopings, I've concluded that even with fans I get way too hot inside my helmet. I radiate a lot of heat from my head. I've decided that I must cut some vent holes in the helmet. Based on some previous posts I've seen, I wanted to get some updates from those of you who have done this. I'm planning on cutting out the black vertical stripes on the back of the helmet. I will then mount fans on the inside of those two areas which will blow outward expelling hot air and hopefully drawing in cool air via the mouth and neck area. FYI I've tried two different types of fans. I used two Radio Shack 12v fans but they just don't move enough air (I'm gonna use these to vent air). I also have a more powerful fan but it makes way too much noise and I have trouble hear people. I point of concern for me is that I will be cutting thru stickers and I wonder if the dremel with have any problems with that. I was planning on using the dremels milling bit to cut out the slots. I don't know if the stickers will mess up my plans???

I would use the cutting wheel tip to cut those holes you'll get straighter lines. Make sure you do it on at low speed so that you are cutting instead of melting. If your cuts are successful, you may want to try one fan wired in reverse so that one fan blows and the other sucks. It would continuously cycle air thru the helmet. Maybe wanna try this on the tear traps instead that way it would be working the air that accumulates in your face mask. Or better yet one on a rear trap sucking in and an exhaust fan on the opposite tear trap, that would ventilate the whole helmet.

I once drilled out my tear ducts while the decals were attached. I used the engraving attachment to make a series of small holes as guides, then connected them with the circular cutter. The vinyl was more or less alright but did pull a little.

If I had it to do over again, and may with my new TD, I'd probably slice out the decal with an x-acto along the lines I was going to cut, then make the cuts with only the circular cutter. It really lets in a lot of air, even without the fans.

My favorite mod, one that I've never seen anyone else do (without having first seen mine) is to cut out the mouth (not the frown). I cut out the vertical grooves on the mouth, then back it with mesh. It again airs the helmet out really well and also allows your voice to be better-heard.

I've only done it with an FX helmet, so it's no huge deal. I understand any helmet with the mouth pre-molded could be tricky if you screw it up, but it's a really rewarding mod in my opinion. There's also plenty of room there for a fan.

If anyone's interested I can post a pic.

Phil

Thanks guys. Yes my frown is cut out. And I have a sizable gap below the one eye. I just radiate a lot of heat from my small head. I cut slots on both back areas. I cut out 4-5 of the black stripes. I used the cutting wheel attachment and cut right through the decal. It didn't pull the decal at all but it does require some clean up since the decal does shred on the edges as you cut it so you need to clean it up with an exacto. It would be easier to remove the decals cut and then paint and not use a decal. I'm happy with the results. I'll post some pics later. I'll be trooping next week so I'll let you know how it works.

• 1 month later...

how did this work out? i was thinking of doing this once i get a bucket. i was planning on painting the details so i figured id do the cuts, and then paint the details on. not sure if my head will generate as much heat as yours, but i figure more ventilation cant hurt!

• 4 weeks later...

I'm working on this. Initially I only cut out 4 slots per side. I had fans installed in front of the vents to blow air out. I've now cut out all the stripes but two and removed the fans. I haven't had many troops since making this mod so still seeing if it helps. Once the weather gets better here I"m gonna remove the decals and hand paint the two areas to make it look better. I cut right thru the decals so it looks a bit sloppy right now.

I should mention that my head generates a lot of heat so I defintely need the extra venting. I also recently found out that Underarmor makes both cold and hot weather version. I just assumed it was for cold weather. My second top I bought is from TK4201 who used summer weight and its much cooler and more comfortable for indoor trooping. I made a huge difference in my comfort level. I just bought summer weight pants as well. They are suppose to help keep you cool. I'm looking forward to my first troop wearing them.

Ok here are two pics for ya. Please be nice, it looks crappy. Once the weather turns nice, I'm gonna remove the decals and hand paint it so it looks better. Last night I took a black marker to try and cover up the white plastic showing in the slots but that didn't work.

----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

Paint the inside of the helmet around the vents black so you cant see any white from the outside and then dress the outer surface up with some grey and black and It might work. Put in some black mesh.

Smitty is right.

Get a really fine 00 to 0000 lining brush from a hobby store and come at the openings from the inside with black or gray.

If you paint from the inside you are less likely to bleed over onto the decal. I'd use a model acrylic (like Polyscale) and keep a slightly damp paper towel or q-tip handy to "erase" any that bleeds onto the decal.

Kris

thanks for the tips. The entire inside of my helmet is painted black so I just need to blacken the white cross section of the helmet that was exposed when I made the cuts.

• 2 weeks later...

I vented my FX bucket. No one ever notices they are cut. I had the same problem, the decals look ok, but I should just remove them and hand paint them. I added 2 fans (one blowing in, one blowing out). LOVE IT.

I also have 2 fans on the eyes and 2 fans at the neck in the front of the face (I guess the best way to describe it would be the reverse aerator dimples... :) I don't know)

So that's a total of 6 fans. I still sweat…. Like a mad man, but at least I'm fog free and have a little air moving.

• 2 weeks later...

Darth Nickel,

Have you tried wearing the HD (summer) under armor? Its suppose to actually help keep you cool by whisking the sweat from your skin? I switched to TK4205 neck seal light weight under armor shirt and summer HD pants, makes a huge difference. I found that putting fans in the back of the helmet didn't help much because my hair was against them so no air flow out or really in. I'm fan free now. I do add an anti fog stuff to my lens but that does not work very well. I big improvement came from adding an air dam around the mouth area of the helmet. This forces my breath out the mouth holes and prevents it from flowing up to the eyes. This was a major improvement in fogging control. I found that probably 70% of my fogging is caused by my own hot air.

Jim

• 1 month later...
I once drilled out my tear ducts while the decals were attached. I used the engraving attachment to make a series of small holes as guides, then connected them with the circular cutter. The vinyl was more or less alright but did pull a little.

If I had it to do over again, and may with my new TD, I'd probably slice out the decal with an x-acto along the lines I was going to cut, then make the cuts with only the circular cutter. It really lets in a lot of air, even without the fans.

My favorite mod, one that I've never seen anyone else do (without having first seen mine) is to cut out the mouth (not the frown). I cut out the vertical grooves on the mouth, then back it with mesh. It again airs the helmet out really well and also allows your voice to be better-heard.

I've only done it with an FX helmet, so it's no huge deal. I understand any helmet with the mouth pre-molded could be tricky if you screw it up, but it's a really rewarding mod in my opinion. There's also plenty of room there for a fan.

If anyone's interested I can post a pic.

Phil

Do you mean the vocoder? I'd like to see a pic if you get the chance. Thanks!

Jaleel said:
Do you mean the vocoder? I'd like to see a pic if you get the chance. Thanks!

Here we go :)

------------

Some people have asked if you can see through the mesh. Yes, some flash pictures or outdoor pictures do show a little slip of skin back there. I think that adding a second layer of mesh at a cross-angle or putting a small flap of black fabric would take care of that.

I think this is ok here because it's a helmet venting thread, no hijack intended :)

Phil

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021