ATA helmet problems

hey guys just after some advice.

im putting together an ATA helmet and have encountered a snag. it seems to me that the cap and back are warped and wont fit well with the face plate. i have looked at other peoples builds and havent seen anything similar. i have alreay drill 2 holes to align them on each side but im scared im gunna FUBAR the thing if i keep going. (hoping that the ears will cover them up!) heres some pics i have trimmed the helemet along the mold lines following pandatroopers tutorial i cant seem to find out whats wrong with what im doing so im putting it down to a bad pull

nKockvK.jpg

tdlWE6l.jpgzxi1yjJ.jpg

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

Aside from the bolt you have sitting very close to the edge, you should be fine. The gap you are worried about will be pulled in, and also hidden once the ears go on top. Like you can see on these two original sandtrooper helmets, it's a design issue, not just something with your helmet. Visit www.starwarshelmets.com for some interesting reading.

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

I agree with Vern.. It looks great so far!  I put together my ATA bucket a handful of months back and I hit this same snag (http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/23411-raintrooper’s-ata-build/). Not sure if you’ve come across my build thread, but yes, the helmet kit is lopsided, wonky and nowhere near symetrical.  Don’t worry!  Thery’re all like that. I had a heck of a time lining up the outiside of the eyes with the traps. The face always seemed to be jetting off to the left.  If I were you, I’d bring in the left eye a little, so the outer edge lines up with the trapezoid. That will decrease the gap of the outer right eye with the right trap.  Does that make sense?  It’s the hardest part about the helmet build.. at least it was for me.  Keep up the good work! 

These troopers speak the truth. There really is no such thing as a helmet back meeting flush with the faceplate. The left side (when looking at the helmet) has always come close in regards to the trimming. The right side provides a lot more overlap. If you have trimmed it too close and there is no material left to overlap, you can always glue a piece of ABS to the inside using some of the material you trimmed off to bridge that gap. It is also acceptable (and somewhat recommended) to put an additional rivet in the lower cheek area to keep the back from pivoting on the face. Also, in looking at the position of the cap on the face, you have it a little off center. The front  of the trapezoids on the cap should align with the upper, rear corner of the eye openings.No this is not your helmet, but this is just a visual so you can step in what I am laying down.---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

This thread is awesome. I'm working on my ATA right now and hit the same problem. I haven't drilled any holes yet though. I assumed that the ears would cover the gap on the left side (looking at the helmet) but I was more concerned with getting the rubber s shaped lining around the bottom with that gap. How do you work that out?

Ideally, the bottom screw of the ear will pull everything together as previously stated. Once that happens, and with some careful trimming on the ears, the rubber trim will work fine

Ideally, the bottom screw of the ear will pull everything together as previously stated. Once that happens, and with some careful trimming on the ears, the rubber trim will work fine

Hmmmm.. ok. I can kinda picture it. have to try to visualize since I don't have my lid with me at the moment. I seem to think that the gap is so wide. that the only thing that screw will go into is air. but I could be wrong. if it is. I have to see if I can dig my scraps out of the trash and shim it for a screw placement. Guess i could always use a piece of a for sale sign if I needed too. Thanks for the feedback!

No man it is actually looking good. I agree that you should try to straighten up the eyes according to the front traps. But even if you can't, don't sweat it. All helmets are wonky. Start on the ears. Go slow and trim in small amounts. The ears should cover everything up. I am like 95% done with my ATA hero lid. Although not an expert like these other guys/gals are! Great job!

Magnets are a great help, I thought I was seeing things when I noticed the gaps on my bucket, don't worry yet the ears cover most of the gaps, just sand them a little at a time and not just the bottom of the ear the round top section can make a lot of difference too. Good luck and hope it ends well :D

• 2 months later...