My TM Build begins..

Ximenia

The big brown box arrived today just as I was heading to work! I can't believe it got here so fast!

box.jpg

So now I'm sitting at work.. completely unable to concentrate on getting any work done.. when 5:00 hits it's off to the home depot to get some tools!

I will post pics of the armor when I get home... I'm so excited.. and super nervous. (If any girls have any suggestions on trimming TM armor to fit a girl's frame, they would be much appreciated, I've only been able to find TM build threads for men)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out Acima's thread. She built a TM. But she basically built it the same as any man of her size (she's quite tall) would have. It fits her perfectly.

Link: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/topic/15816-acimas-tm-buildtm/

Your box did look much better them my did.

but still survived and got 501 approved,

You got some month ahead of working but its all

so fun and its like a big plastic model for grown ppl....

Good luck )

Congrats, Nicole! I have TM armor as well. It is some beautiful armor. You will be VERY happy with it when you're done. My wife sent me a picture of the big brown box when it arrived. I was at work as well and could not get my mind off of it. Get some Lexan scissors! Very helpful tool. The TD is a good start, so you can "get your feet wet". I started by getting a pencil and marking all the return edges and then trimming everything. Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Some updates.

I started working on the TD but realized I need screws that are only available on ebay, so while I wait for those to arrive I decided to do some initial trimming and start on the bucket.

I trimmed the armor down a bit, but haven't made any real drastic cuts yet. I'll post pictures when that's come along further.

Here's what I've done with the bucket so far.

First I measured 1.25 inches above the eyes and used measuring tape to draw a line. (The line is under the measuring tape, kinda hard to see. The measuring tape is above the line, because it was the only way it would lay flush and straight along the curve of the brow.)

bucket1.jpg

Next I drew lines around the contours of the cap, following reference pictures from all the awesome builds on here, and cut along the lines, leaving a little play room since it will have to be sanded.

bucket2.jpg

Then onto the face again. First did some initial trimming (using lexan scissors), following the lines I drew from the measuring tape and also following the contours of the bucket. Then I enlisted my super talented boyfriend (he's amazing with an exacto knife) to cut out the eyes.

He drew lines along the inside of the eyes, following the curve of the mold. Then he went over the lines 3 times with the exacto knife to score it. For the first eye he had to cut lines and snap pieces out. The second eye 3 traces around to score it was enough to pop it all out at once. The second eye method was cleaner, but both work.

This is a close up of the first eye.

Bucket4.jpg

And here is a shot of both eyes.

bucket3.jpg

That's all for now, going to do the teeth tomorrow if time permits.

It's funny how you can look at all of the parts and think "How in the world will all of this become cool looking Stormtrooper armor?" For me, it became "real" when I finished assembling the helmet and painted it. That's when I had my "Wow!" moment.

Hi Nicole , you cant' beat a good TM build , please take your time and don't rush , and you say your short nothing wrong there look how cool these two TM Stormtrooper's are ;)

66043_418415491559694_396281021_n_zps84cb31fb.jpg

Looking forward to your progress :duim:

For the teeth, since I don't own a dremel I drilled holes into the teeth to get them started then used an exacto knife and a nail file to finish them off.

I then put the brow strip on and put it together using some small clamps and magnets. I need to get some more clamps that will fit through the eyes to make it more sturdy when I go to drill it.

IMG_20130308_085607.jpg

Do you guys think this is a good placement for the brow? And if anyone notices anything else that might be wrong, feedback is much appreciated.

In my opinion the brow is to high, but it is your decision.

Adjust the brow to your aesthetic wishes, but keep the original helmets in mind

DaveMANH01.jpg

What Trooper do you want to build? ANH Stunt, Sandtrooper or ESB?

The famous "Move along" Helmet had a higher brow:

ANH_HD_stunt03.jpg

So I think I messed up on riveting the helmet. I was trying to keep the trapezoids lined up with the eyes as much as possible, but it just doesn't look right to me. One side has a lot of room between the eye and the rivet and the other side does not..

I think there's going to be a small gap between the plastic on the side that has too much extra room.. and I'm not sure if the ears are going to cover it. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to fix this? Or did I completely f' up?

side2.jpg

side1.jpg

help!

I like to screw the helmet together before commiting to rivets. That way you can make any changes to look of your helmet without having to drill rivets out. Any gaps you have at the side tubes will be covered by the ear caps, that is their purpose. And you do not have to line up the eyes with the traps and the gap above the eyes and brow does not have to be uniform.

I would drill out the right hand side rivet and push the face up into the dome a bit more. You can cut the forehead away to lift the brow and get the look you like after the face is in position. You do not have to follow the brow line on the mould since it is only a guide.

Hope that helps :)