Wallet/phone when trooping?

Hi all,

My RS suit is arriving today! My first time wearing it will be this weekend then I'll hopefully be able able to join the Swiss garrison.

I had a question though for people wearing their armor for Halloween/other parties or other informal occasions. What do you do with your wallet/phone when out in your suit?

Not trooping formally, just at parties or with friends.

Edited by Levans

Not that I have my armor yet but I did think of this problem, I purchased a travel document bag, has a large pouch and strap to hang around your neck, thought I could wear it under my chest plate

As someone who'll be posting for clearance in the next month this is something I've been wondering also! Problem with the under the chest plate, for me, is that that is where I've mounted my amp and icomm.

Maybe on your back then

I have rebuilt my thermal detonator so that the end caps are held on via an elastic strap inside the canister. That way (if I feel so inclined) I can pop my phone at least into it.

Usually we request a secure storage area at our troops, so normally I would leave them both in a lockbox in my armour bag. :)

Something like this. I picked a neck wallet that came with a plastic envelope on the inside because the phone and the money might not like the 100% humidity under the chest plate. Accessibility is a problem, but an advantage too. Without your phone you focus on your trooping and people can't steal from you easily either :)

---------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working removed

Well, I figured this out :

1 - Cash and Card : I bought a bill/card holder that I fix inside my helmet with velcro. That do just fine !

-----------

2 - Phone : I got an I phone and I don't know if you ever noticed but the little battery pack pouch that hang on the belt are about the same size ! I put my phone inside and close the case with the velcro I putted in. Works pretty good

Edited by gmrhodes13
link not working, removed gmrhodes13 2021

I usually switch my phone off and leave it in my crate

If I carry my wallet, it's just shoved in down my ab plate

Sometimes I've forgotten it was even there

You can stash tons of stuff in there (well, I can)

WARNING: Never stick your phone down in your thigh armour to carry it!

I did this at the Armageddon convention

My Trooperfunk soaked into the keypad and the sweat shorted out all the buttons (phone was out of commission for the rest of the weekend, cue hilariously angry girlfriend)

I think you guys have a different ethos to trooping as we do in the uk.

A stormtrooper doesn't need a wallet or keys as there is no opportunity whilst trooping or need to use either.

If you for example received a mobile call whilst trooping as a stormtrooper would you remove your helmet in public to answer it?

Do you go shopping whilst trooping as a stormtrooper?

How would you eat or drink on costume?

In the UK we arrange changing areas, and never get changed in the car park in front of the public.

We leave our belongings in safe places.

We de kit for lunch or breaks.

We never go out of character whilst trooping.

Believe it or not, this is exactly the same ethos as demanded by Disney by their costumers.

Disney now own Lucasfilm and I fully expect that if you are offered any professional troops that you also learn to adopt the staying in character ethos.

I will be at CE2 in Germany this July 2013 and would very much like to compare how other garrisons troop at this event.

• Like 1

I know Matt,

and I know that it wears you down and eventually you give up

While I still have the energy I will try and preach, convert, educate etc just like the lids off arguement from a few months ago and the punters v shown men thread.

Have you seen the centurion TK rivets discussion in the Attaché area?

It's a fresh tuppence area that you may enjoy jumping on? ;)

I leave my keys and phone and lip gloss in my tub for troops, too. I really HATE not having my lip gloss, but I go without until we have a break.

I've only been to one small convention, where I was not officially trooping, but I had my hubby carry the keys, phone and all important LIP GLOSS!

phil, one thing you have to remember too is that some areas you have to carry an ID with you all the time. As for the phone, when I am not undercover in my tk my phone helps me breath in my vader.

I know Matt,

and I know that it wears you down and eventually you give up

While I still have the energy I will try and preach, convert, educate etc just like the lids off arguement from a few months ago and the punters v shown men thread.

Have you seen the centurion TK rivets discussion in the Attaché area?

It's a fresh tuppence area that you may enjoy jumping on? ;)

Carefull mate.

They don't like it up em as Cpl Jones used to say. Don't want to get accused of trolling/flaming. :engel:

I can troop in character without a problem.

I did so at the TPM 3D premiere.

Events like that don't require carrying your phone and keys.

Other events do.

Last week I participated in a 7km funrun in my hometown. I left my house in full kit and walked to the start line from there, this meant taking my house key.

And when I walked alongside Jabob from Moe to Morwell (18km), it was crucial to have my phone on me so I could arrange a lift back.

Even with a bucket on, it's handy to have your wallet at a convention.

And some troops (such as last Friday's Bandanna Day) simply cannot offer change areas. Would you have refused to participate? That's good for you, but it doesn't help the kids with cancer.

I would never turn down an event just because they don't have a fancy green room and a big bowl of M&M's with all the brown ones removed.

I can troop in character without a problem.

I did so at the TPM 3D premiere.

Events like that don't require carrying your phone and keys.

Other events do.

Last week I participated in a 7km funrun in my hometown. I left my house in full kit and walked to the start line from there, this meant taking my house key.

And when I walked alongside Jabob from Moe to Morwell (18km), it was crucial to have my phone on me so I could arrange a lift back.

Even with a bucket on, it's handy to have your wallet at a convention.

And some troops (such as last Friday's Bandanna Day) simply cannot offer change areas. Would you have refused to participate? That's good for you, but it doesn't help the kids with cancer.

I would never turn down an event just because they don't have a fancy green room and a big bowl of M&M's with all the brown ones removed.

The six P's come to mind.

I think you guys have a different ethos to trooping as we do in the uk.

A stormtrooper doesn't need a wallet or keys as there is no opportunity whilst trooping or need to use either.

If you for example received a mobile call whilst trooping as a stormtrooper would you remove your helmet in public to answer it?

Do you go shopping whilst trooping as a stormtrooper?

How would you eat or drink on costume?

In the UK we arrange changing areas, and never get changed in the car park in front of the public.

We leave our belongings in safe places.

We de kit for lunch or breaks.

We never go out of character whilst trooping.

Believe it or not, this is exactly the same ethos as demanded by Disney by their costumers.

Disney now own Lucasfilm and I fully expect that if you are offered any professional troops that you also learn to adopt the staying in character ethos.

I will be at CE2 in Germany this July 2013 and would very much like to compare how other garrisons troop at this event.

Yeah, I mean just for wearing the suit informally like at a party.

I would imagine for a proper troop I'd have my stuff locked up and stay in character the whole time.

About the unnecessary "non-UK way of trooping" comment. It is NOT about carrying it to be a less focused trooper. It's about common sense. Sure nothing happens in the locker rooms in the thousands of venues we troop around the world.

In any bad scenario, trooping or not, I feel I must have my passport/ID securely on me, and the means of communication in case of theft, emergency, kid injured/lost, terror attack, crime, etc. I leave the assumption that everything is dandy to the people who will depend on others when sh** happens.

I removed my helmet whenever I saw kids at CVI who have been clearly lost for hours and helped them find their parents, I don't care what people think about "in character" because this is real life.

Edited by Nicky

I stuff two amps, wallet, romfx card, a two way radio and my car keys under my chest plate. That's me anyway.

And I probably have never stored anything but cards in my td pouches. Everything under the armor. And I could stuff more things on the back plate if needed. Give it a try. It is not so difficult.

About staying in character and real life, I am in pro of staying in character the whole troop, but also live in a real world with family, emergencies and just sime common sense.

Saludos.

Rest assured Matt, there are a lot of us that remain in character in the public view. In fact, our Garrison has been instructed to do so in preperation of the Star Wars, Where Science Meets Imagination Exhibit coming to Indianapolis next summer.

Sure, incidents may occur when a newbie or a malfunction happens in public but, as a whole, we adhere to staying in character.

As to where to, or wheater to carry cash or a phone is totally up to the individual Trooper, just be aware of the public eye when accessing them. Also remember that a cell phone right next to a credit card may demagnitise the card.

Everyone needs to think about this, this is a hobby and a release or even an escape from the grueling day to day grind we all feel throughout the week. Everyone has enough rules and guidelines we are forced to follow everyday, no one wants presured to follow a strict regimin for our hobby. All we can do is strongly suggest to stay in character in public veiw, unless of course, we are at a cannon, or LFL event.

Let's all learn from each other and have some fun! Remember our motto, "Troopers Helping Troopers."

We have a vast resource of Troopers from countless, differing cultures. I for one am willing to learn from everyone that wants to share their own way of building, trooping and conduct, no one way is only way but we can combine everyones experiences to one that may suit our own situtation.

Keep the information flowing and civil and once more, Let's have a great time helping others!