Blaster for newbies

TrooperJay

Hi all,

I am anxiously awaiting brown box day, and feel counter-productive just sitting around doing nothing! I need to get started on something!

So I figure a blaster project would be a good start, except for one problem, I can't stop fishing through just about every forum to make a decision.

As a first time TK builder, (first time Star Wars prop builder at that) what would all you experienced members suggest a newbie such as myself? Keep in mind I would like to eventually achieve EIB, but if it's too fast of a shot right away, I can wait for that to gain some experience.

Thank you so much! Your support is much appreciated. (this build is tampering with my sanity!)

Regards,

Julian

Edited by jmartinot451

A lot of people lean toward the Doopydoo's E-11 resin blaster kit. I'm waiting for mine to come in. Lots of good things said about it and looks really good when finished. You'll find lots of Doopy Doo E-11 build threads on here.

http://www.doopydoos...ffer-2685-p.asp

http://www.whitearmo...opic=16135&st=0

http://www.whitearmo...showtopic=19872

Edited by Geaux Saints

Ditto on the doopy's. In my opinion, it's the closest you can get without demilling a real Sterling, or using actual Sterling parts. Plus, it's light, it feels solid, and it could not have been easier to build. Never built anything in my life but Legos before the doopys and I slapped it together in 2 days no problem. Could not be happier with my blaster, you can't go wrong there.

Another vote for DoopyDoo's. I'm literally sitting here with a Hasbro E-11 in my lap that I'm converting with the DoopyDoo's conversion kit. I'm aiming for EIB or higher so have a full DoopyDoo's kit in a box but before I build that I'm practicing my new skills on the conversion kit first. That way when I mess up (for example too much hardener in the filler, too much glue - everywhere) I'm doing it on something that doesn't have to be that perfect.

Doopy's seems to be one of the easiest to build but you can also do a pipe scratch build with the addition of some doopy pieces or even sterling replica pieces. If you are only aiming for EIB than a hasbro mod would be fine, I want to go for Centurion so my hasbro is not good enough so my new project is a pipe build with doopy pieces.

You can also spend some time gettting ready for your brown box to arrive by sourcing things that you will need for you build. I have most of my snaps ready, just made a thermal detenator, also made, belt, holster, neck seal, there is quite a lot to do. I was lucky enough to purchase my helmet seperately to give me something to start on, may be worth a try asking your armor maker if you can do the same.

I scratchbuilt a E11....its quite a long drawn-out extensive project.

Making to exact specs is a must so very time consuming when aiming for accuracy but worth it in the end.

Doopy kit would be ideally easier and remarkably quicker..

The end decision is yours =)

+2 for the Doopy's I have a Hasbro mod and a resin kit(in progress)

Easy to slap together or you can make lots lot little extras for greater detail if you want.

Have fun, making the blaster kept me (in)sane until my kit arrive.

Wow guys ! Loving the feedback. Guess I would be a fool not to go with Doopy's full E-11 kit. Gonna have to break out the dremel for that, should be fun. What glue would anyone recommend for the Doopy's resin kit? Obviously the E6000 for my armor kit would not be nearly as strong for the resin pieces.

And Charles I love your Doopy's E-11 build thread! Definitely will be referring to it as I build. Glen you know I've already been checking yours out. :duim:

Thanks everyone!

I use a 5 minute epoxy glue two pack mix, works well for me, I know there is also a plastic bond glue out there but have not tried that as yet. I like the 5 minute mix, gives me time to line pieces up before clamping and is very strong once set :smiley-sw013:. My doopy bits arrived today so should be back on my build soon, 2 weeks from order to delivery

I used 5 min. Expoxy as well for both builds. I will use E6000 for my end cap (in case I want to remove it to work on internals again) and the power cell/fuses as I want to be able to pull them off and go ESB with my blaster form time to time.

The thread to follow that I learned the most from is Craig's: http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19872&st=0

nothing original in what I am doing, just copying a bunch from there and other little things from the countless awesome builds out there.

HAVE FUN...once this build is done, my search for an SE-R14 begins!!

*sigh* All of this Doopy talk is making me have an inferiority complex for just buying a Hyperfirm. :huh:

You shouldn't feel bad- this thread is about good blasters for newbies- yours might well be the best candidate here.

(feel free to be jealous that you missed out on the fun of building it, though :P )

Edited by Darth Furious

+1 on the Doopys. I have built both the Hasbro conversion and the full kit, seen here :http://www.whitearmor.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=19500&hl=&fromsearch=1. It looks great, but don't drop it! Resin can be brittle....I am rebuilding parts on mine now... :6:

My only concern for doopys is it's resin. How will you feel when it's dropped? I guess that's why I stick with hyperfirm - not overly detailed from 5' away, but looks the part from 10' and they never break. :)

Still, we all go through several blasters in our days and having > 1 is good as there is no perfect one. I'm getting big on de-milled, but then I never holster mine anyway so the weight is not an issue.

The question I always ask when I read about the fragility of resin when dropped etc.. Why would you ever drop it? I mean, it's your baby. Treat it with care. :)

+1 to that.

Thogh if you're really concerned over fragility, it is one advantage of Doopy's pipe kits over the full-resin ones.

You shouldn't feel bad- this thread is about good blasters for newbies- yours might well be the best candidate here.

(feel free to be jealous that you missed out on the fun of building it, though :P )

Well, like most people that I have read about I want my first set completed ASAP. I figured having the Hyperfirm ready to troop would be great and then in the near future order a Doopy's and try my hand at it.

The question I always ask when I read about the fragility of resin when dropped etc.. Why would you ever drop it? I mean, it's your baby. Treat it with care. :)

Well, when you have your bucket on and someone (a new squire for instance) is handing your blaster back to you at CVI and does not make sure that it is fully in your grasp before they let go because they are (understandably) distracted by EVERYTHING...then you drop your blaster...