Gluing Lenses and Mesh

some members of the 501 use mesh karin. I use white duct tape for all my screen mesh, this way

you can remove it for certain events where you might need to remove it.

lenses are also usually taped in ( screen accurate ) or screwed in with screws at the ears.

I used hot glue on the lenses of my TE helmet, but I also put a metal speaker mesh behind the frown painted matt black with hot glue as well.

Hot glue is easy to pop off if you need too, and wearing a balacava under your lid can be way to hot for a normal troop.

Besides, the mesh makes the lid look more realistic if that makes any sense? I mean its suipposed to be hermetically sealed space armor, so having an open frown for general costuming was not my thing.

Now with the RS suit I have I am going for prop replica even down to the internals, so no I won't be putting a mesh there and I secured the strip of green with the ear screws.

I can see how a good duct tape to secure the mesh and eyes would work as well, Just depends if you are trying for prop replica or idealized. I think there is place for both.

Don't use mesh.It isn't accurate.

What are you using for lenses? If it's a strip, secure it with the ear screws!

For the lenses, I am going to cut them to the shape of the eye holes, but a little bit larger than the eye holes.

• Like 1

some members of the 501 use mesh karin. I use white duct tape for all my screen mesh, this way

you can remove it for certain events where you might need to remove it.

lenses are also usually taped in ( screen accurate ) or screwed in with screws at the ears.

I thought I was the only one who left tape in all this time! :)

I used hockey cloth tape. Sticks great, easy to remove/reapply/adjust. A bit sticky in heat.

that white duck tape looks really clean if you apply it correctly to the mesh.

I strip it in 1/2, then I fold it over the edges of the mesh.

then using the other 1/2 of the tape, I apply it to the folded edge with the ripped side

towards the edge of the mesh. this leaves a clean edge to apply to the helmet.

I do this on the top and bottom of each side, for a total of 4 sides.

Well, it fits the topic. For those who don't believe me:

Black sticky stuff aka wheel balancing putty. screen accurate for ESB, cheap, easy removable. and did I say "screen accurate"?

-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

For reference:

ESB: sticky black stuff

3assIKh.jpg

Actually, you don't want to glue allthe way. As you can see in ANH, there's a little gap, which lets the air flow and prevents fogging.

The same with ESB: there's no black stiff on the upper edge of the eyes.

Just let the air flow....

Edited by gmrhodes13
photo updated gmrhodes13 2021

I use hot glue, but some people use Silicone. Only reason I don't like to use silicone is because it takes too long to set.

Also, as far as the screen accuracy goes, I like screen accurate as much as the next guy, but a lot of screen accurate things aren't really ideal for trooping. Frown mesh helps prevent people from seeing your face. When I'm trooping that's all I'm really concerned about. If I had a nice set of armor that was always going to be on a mannequin, I'd keep it as screen accurate as possible including accurate fasteners etc, but that's not the case.

• Like 1

I use hot glue, but some people use Silicone. Only reason I don't like to use silicone is because it takes too long to set.

Also, as far as the screen accuracy goes, I like screen accurate as much as the next guy, but a lot of screen accurate things aren't really ideal for trooping. Frown mesh helps prevent people from seeing your face. When I'm trooping that's all I'm really concerned about. If I had a nice set of armor that was always going to be on a mannequin, I'd keep it as screen accurate as possible including accurate fasteners etc, but that's not the case.

+1

• 3 years later...

Glad I found this thread... Thanks all, I guess I'm not going for screen accurate either I like the mesh look, and in all honest for my ESB build I've seen the movies a million times and I've looked at all the reference pictures for my particular build on this site, In too many occurrences it's too dark to really make our if there is something behind the frown, but hey what do I know I'm not even 501st approved yet... All I care about is getting to Centurion and having a cool bucket that I can be proud to take off and show some little kid the inside and not be embarrassed lol.