Voice changer for female troopers?

For my sound system I'm probably going to get an Aker amp, and love the simplicity of the iComm... But does anyone have advice or ideas on an affordable voice changer so I sound more like a dude? Or is that the sort of component that would put me way overbudget?

this looks pretty cheap but looks like it requiers soldering ;)-----------

Edited by gmrhodes13
link removed no longer working

Completely agree with the opinions posted thus far. The shock/awe/cool value of a female voice coming from a stormtrooper is quite priceless. :lol:

yeah, I say use your own voice. :) You can add your own style to how you talk but I wouldn't try and hide the fact that you are a girl. Some of my favorite people to stroll the cons with are the girls in armor. :) 1 of them refuses to talk when I am with her though. She let's me do the talking.

• 1 month later...

I used to worry about this too, Rachel. I'm short, people first assume that I'm a short male or a kid under the armor. My voice is girly to begin with, but as time goes by I gain confidence and I start sounding like the guys... My sound system is the Aker amp (behind my ab plate) + a microphone clipped on my balaclava. This may affect the sound of my voice.

Now I'm wanting to practice my "DUDE" voice!

I had some confused kids at my 1st troop.

It was funny making up excuses why a girl was

in dude armor. I said something like " it was Vader's will..."

:)

Now I'm wanting to practice my "DUDE" voice!

I had some confused kids at my 1st troop.

It was funny making up excuses why a girl was

in dude armor. I said something like " it was Vader's will..."

:)

Awww! The feminist within is rather annoyed by the fact we have to conform to "female" characters, and if anyone would ask me why I'm a Stormtrooper... I would just say "Why not?" But your answer is way better :D

:) I can't wait to troop with her in her armor just so I can talk to her. ;) You'll be the cutest TK ever Renata.

Ā 

With that tiny little voice of yours Renatta, we will def have to get you a deep sounding voice changer! LOL

Some of the places I want to use my armor include venues with a lot of kids. Including my own. While the guys over at the 501st think it is cool to have a girl behind the face plate, my kids would rather that it not look like mom came along for the ride. One of the wonderful things about Stormtroopers are their absolute anonymity. I'd like to continue that through with some sort of digital masking on the mic.

Some of the places I want to use my armor include venues with a lot of kids. Including my own. While the guys over at the 501st think it is cool to have a girl behind the face plate, my kids would rather that it not look like mom came along for the ride. One of the wonderful things about Stormtroopers are their absolute anonymity. I'd like to continue that through with some sort of digital masking on the mic.

Ā 

I'm kind of with you, Mysie, though my son (6) is the first to point out to the entire universe that "that one is my mom!!!" and he's proud as punch.

Ā 

I was worried about the dude thing too until I read this thread a few weeks ago. I'm still debating about being heard at all - I talk TOO much (as y'all may have noticed) - being anonymous AND silent might have some advantages. For everyone. :P I am still digging into fans and I do have an Aker, but I haven't taken the plunge for an iComm or anything yet.

Yeah, I'm looking into the different sound systems right now. I like the iComm, but am also looking at Rom fx. . . . It sounds like the latter might have ways to lower the pitch - if it does - well, I may head that way. Still unsure of it yet though.

My wife is proud that she is a female 501st-er and nothing is better to her than seeing little girls go up to her, and get so excited because there is a girl in the suit. She uses an Aker amp, and doesn't hide who she is.

Ā 

Neither should you (in my opinion).. be proud of who you are, and you'll be dazzled when little girls come up to you at events and smile because they know that Star Wars is not just for boys...

I'm glad that this forum is here, not due to all of the "be yourself" comments so much as the fact that other female troopers have asked the question too. I genuinely appreciate the acceptance displayed, but find it odd in a community dedicated to getting all the details exact, that a desire to not stick out is not quite understood. I am who I am and I'm just as proud as many others but I intend to HIDE right along with all the guys who don white plastic masks that cover up their identities. :)

Edited by Dracos

I'm glad that this forum is here, not due to all of the "be yourself" comments so much as the fact that other female troopers have asked the question too. I genuinely appreciate the acceptance displayed, but find it odd in a community dedicated to getting all the details exact, that a desire to not stick out is not quite understood. I am who I am and I'm just as proud as many others but I intend to HIDE right along with all the guys who don white plastic masks that cover up their identities. :)

I see what you are saying, Mysie. :) There's al ot of times I want to blend in and go with the flow, too. [92% of the time!] The biggest reason I built my tk armor was that I could be just another trooper and have a huge support group at the same time. That part is great. I wanted to be involved, but not be the main focus. I'm always hiding behind my hubby when we're in public...and it annoys him. I make him deal with people so I can relax. Guess when I'm suited up in my armor it will be my turn to people-block for him! ;)

Ā 

Oh, and I only stuff my cod piece for comfort reasons. I don't have cod piece dysfunction, really. I'm secure with my cod. Sorry,... trying to be funny. My flab gets pinched if I don't stuff. OUCH!!!!

I see what you are saying, Mysie. :) There's al ot of times I want to blend in and go with the flow, too. [92% of the time!] The biggest reason I built my tk armor was that I could be just another trooper and have a huge support group at the same time. That part is great. I wanted to be involved, but not be the main focus. I'm always hiding behind my hubby when we're in public...and it annoys him. I make him deal with people so I can relax. Guess when I'm suited up in my armor it will be my turn to people-block for him! ;)

Ā 

Oh, and I only stuff my cod piece for comfort reasons. I don't have cod piece dysfunction, really. I'm secure with my cod. Sorry,... trying to be funny. My flab gets pinched if I don't stuff. OUCH!!!!

Ā 

Thanks for understanding! And for the sense of humor. I'm not totally sure that mine came through in the former post.

Heh, and I'll take the cod advice to heart. I have no desire to experience armor bite in the southern regions. :blink:

Ditto here. At first I loved the idea of being anonymous, a "supporting" role, and assumed male. And I have the right "build" to blend in that way. However, the support for being yourself is also wonderful, because now I don't feel like I have to meet some kind of "maleness" standard. In fact, I kind of like breaking the 70s stereotypes of women's roles (in military, as pilots in BSG 1978, etc.) and sharing the love with girls.

Ā 

Just not teenage girls who think I'm a dude. Cuz they slap bums pretty hard.

Ā 

As for Jenny's cod piece, well, if she didn't keep trying to make it into a French bikini it might work better! J/k! :smiley-sw013: